Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot share a drive for some reason

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Cannot share a drive for some reason

Old 23-03-2017, 22:18   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Cannot share a drive for some reason

Can someone help me this is driving me nuts.

My main computers hard disk went belly up on the weekend and ive had to reinstall windows and set everything up.

For some reason the drive i was sharing before hand will now no longer share..
I have watched many videos on youtube and all settings seem ok but when i try and map the drive it says i dont have permissions.

Security wise i have also checked and i have full permissions on everyone and i have set everyone as the owner of the drive to but still nothing.

Anyone help?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-03-2017, 22:30   #2
RubberyDuck
Inactive

Services: Sky HD & XL TV (V+), XXL BB, XL Phone.
RubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enough
Re: Cannot share a drive for some reason

This DOS command might do the trick:

TAKEOWN /F E:\Share /R /A

Obviously change to suit.
RubberyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 23:18   #3
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

it says cannot find the file specified.
Old 23-03-2017, 23:29   #4
RubberyDuck
Inactive

RubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enoughRubberyDuck will become famous soon enough

Maybe I'm confusing you.

E:\Share is the actual folder that needs permissions fixing, not the actual share name.

Also run DOS as Admin.
Old 24-03-2017, 23:06   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

TAKEOWN /F E:\PICS /R /A

Tried doing this which is adding my own drive i wanna share and still had same error.
Old 25-03-2017, 09:59   #6
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I don't know your Windows version but from 7 onwards this perhaps might help.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/w...ss-denied.html

I don't like how security & workgroup have made things somewhat funky, recently I had to kick my 8.1 machine into submission when it denied me the ability to move shortcuts around in my own start menu.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 00:41   #7
RubberyDuck
Inactive

Does creating and sharing a new folder on the root of E: work? If this works, try copying (or moving) between the local folders and the newly created share, obviously remove the copy (unless moving) from the local folder afterwards. Long winded but might work.

If you have the space elsewhere ie C: drive, copy the files to this location, then format the e: drive and then create the shares again and move back, again long winded.

You could also try to disable inherittance on the folder and remove current permissions and then add the required users and set the new permissions.
Old 26-03-2017, 22:45   #8
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

When creating a share, you need to ensure permissions are set on the share itself and also in the NTFS permissions;
  1. create folder to share
  2. right click the folder and select Properties
  3. click the Sharing tab
  4. click Advanced Sharing
  5. ticket the box to Share This Folder
  6. ensure the name is ok and select Permissions towards the bottom
  7. make sure Everyone has full control
  8. Click OK
  9. Click OK again to get back to the main Properties box
  10. now click on the Security tab
  11. Add in the users you wish to have access and what level of access they need - in this case, I would presume Full Control
  12. Apply the changes
  13. Now navigate to your share from another machine on the network
  14. connect using the account on the remote machine you assigned permissions to in the form of MACHINENAME\username where MACHINENAME is the name of the machine that the share is actually on, NOT the machine you are now sitting at remotely to the share

Let us know if that helps. I would hazard a guess that step 14 might be where you are failing

Last edited by idi banashapan; 26-03-2017 at 22:48.
idi banashapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 01:08   #9
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Yes its step 14 it just says i dont have permission to access.
Old 27-03-2017, 13:11   #10
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

did you try to connect to the share using the format in step 14? e.g.,

OTHERPCNAME\otherpcusername
Old 27-03-2017, 14:02   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
did you try to connect to the share using the format in step 14? e.g.,

OTHERPCNAME\otherpcusername
To create the permissions described in your previous post you need to be logged in as Admin otherwise it will fail.

Just a thought.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 14:13   #12
idi banashapan
step on my trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
To create the permissions described in your previous post you need to be logged in as Admin otherwise it will fail.

Just a thought.
As it is a home machine, that shouldn't be an issue. the only thing that might need doing is taking ownership of the drive's folder structure in NTFS, if it is a separate physical drive, now available in a different build of windows that it was not originally setup in, as the account SIDs are no longer valid.

just a thought for alanbjames: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...2#post35816532
Have you gone over this thread again? It's exactly the problem you posted about before. I think we all might end up repeating ourselves...

Last edited by idi banashapan; 27-03-2017 at 16:08.
idi banashapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 18:16   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Regone over and still no help.

It has to be something to do with security, if i try and map the drives on the machine itself it will find them yet wont on any other systems just says do not have permissions to access.

Ive even tried creatimg a homegroup and still the same.
This is driving me crazy.
Old 31-03-2017, 21:58   #14
RubberyDuck
Inactive

Try disabling any firewall and or Anti-Virus products you have, see if this now allows you to access from another machine.

Also have you tried connecting via the IP Address ie: \\10.10.10.1\SharedFolder ?
Old 31-03-2017, 23:37   #15
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Tried disabling kaspersky and have attempted to access the drive from the 3 other systems at home and it just says we dont have permissions blah blah and contact network operator.

I cant understand what could have changed so drastically since i had to reinstall windows, the hard disk that failed the replacement isnt the one im attempting to share.

I can share any files/folders/drivers on any other system except my main pc and its so frustrating.