Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Kodi, legit or not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

Box on outside wall.

Old 22-05-2020, 12:58   #1
qprdude
cf.member

qprdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Box on outside wall.

When we moved here, we had Sky installed. There is a BT box on the outside wall with the wiring through to the lounge to my "openreach" phone socket.
Close by, on the outside wall, is a 150mm by 120mm(approx) grey Cablerel junction box.
The cable feeds in from underground and one out cable goes straight through the 2all, into a phone socket like a BT one, but clearly marked " cable tel".
Another cable from the junction box Carrie's on along the outer wall, and through the wall into the lounge about 8 metres further on. This cable terminates in a small box with what looks like two small ports on the underside.
I would dearly like to know what it was/ is , if it can ever be utilised for anything, or safely removed?

Sorry it's a bit long winded but I've never seen this before. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Oops, I'm a new member, probably should have introduced myself. Too late. I'm in Surrey by the way.
qprdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2020, 13:12   #2
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Box on outside wall.

No idea if it's the same, but I have the BT box (unused) into the hall.

I also have an outside NTL box with the underground entry, and an exit through the wall into the lounge for the TV.

A further cable runs externally from that box, along the side of the wall to the other end of the lounge (28ft), where it enters the wall and terminates in an NTL box for the internet.

I'd guess many installations are similar?

oh, and welcome . . . we've never met, but possibly seen each other somewhere (QPR-Luton)
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 13:30   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprdude View Post
When we moved here, we had Sky installed. There is a BT box on the outside wall with the wiring through to the lounge to my "openreach" phone socket.
Close by, on the outside wall, is a 150mm by 120mm(approx) grey Cablerel junction box.
The cable feeds in from underground and one out cable goes straight through the 2all, into a phone socket like a BT one, but clearly marked " cable tel".
Another cable from the junction box Carrie's on along the outer wall, and through the wall into the lounge about 8 metres further on. This cable terminates in a small box with what looks like two small ports on the underside.
I would dearly like to know what it was/ is , if it can ever be utilised for anything, or safely removed?

Sorry it's a bit long winded but I've never seen this before. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Oops, I'm a new member, probably should have introduced myself. Too late. I'm in Surrey by the way.
The cabletel box on your outside wall is an exterior omnibox that protects the cable connections necessary to provide cable TV, broadband and phone to your house. One combined phone/coaxial cable comes from the street cabinet, under your street, under your garden and then up your wall to the omnibox where it is then split as required. These days all cabletel infrastructure belongs to Virgin Media.

From the omnibox, the phone cable goes through your wall to the phone socket you have identified as 'cabletel' inside your house. If you buy phone service from Virgin Media, this is where you would plug your phone in.

Also from the omnibox, a coaxial cable is running round to your lounge, through the wall, and terminating at an interior omnibox. The two terminals on that box would connect to a set-top box for TV, and a modem/router for broadband internet.

In theory you're within your rights to remove all of this stuff if you have no intention of ever using it, but don't - it will make future installation of Virgin Media services much quicker and easier if you decide to have them. It is also possible to screw up your neighbours' TV and broadband if you do it badly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 14:45   #4
qprdude
cf.member

qprdude is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank for that. I presume it might also be a selling point "wired for Virgin" . If I remember correctly, we did get some mail for the last owner from Virgin, then after a month, a letter to us, offering a Virgin deal to sign up. I'm not a fan of any of their products to be honest, and freeview and freesat is all we need. Cancelled Sky TV a couple of years ago too when it got very expensive. The phone and BB are with them still though. Never had a problem, fast enough for us and free calls too.
qprdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 15:23   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's been a while since I lived in a cabled area but I'm pretty sure Virgin Media cable broadband is always a lot faster even than the fibre connection delivered by Openreach and sold to you by BT, Sky or whoever. Even if you're not interested in TV the availability of very fast internet might be useful to you in the future. But yes, if and when you eventually come to sell, the estate agent will probably list the fact that it's already wired for cable as a positive selling point.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote