Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New VM Business service - 350Mb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New VM Business service - 350Mb

Old 13-06-2017, 09:26   #46
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice
Re: New VM Business service - 350Mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Some info here

It doesn't quote a date but suggests new firmware is in test
Yeah, I would take that with a pinch of salt. The only thing worth mentioning thus far is Arris released a patch for the TG2492LG, which the Hub 3 is somewhere between that and the compal CH7465-LG. We could be waiting on Compal/LG to do there bit, then VM to put the VM stamp on it yet... and after all of that, it doesn't fix all the issues, it is however a good step forward over the current firmware.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2017, 15:24   #47
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

Regarding my posts above relating to slow speeds on the 350 Mb/s service (with 5 fixed IPs) My original fault report seemed to have gone astray because I was sent a text message saying all the lines tests were OK and requested I sent some speedtest results to a specific VM email address. After more than a week I never heard anymore so I phoned in. I was given another fault ref no. and this time I told them the results of numerous speed tests over the phone.

I was phoned back by 2nd level support who doubted the speeds we are seeing was a network software issue, primarily because occasionally (early morning and late afternoon) we get speeds approaching 200 M/s. He sent out an engineer who did his own speed tests mid-morning. Speeds ranged from 20-50 Mb/s! No other fault found.

He spoke to someone back in the office who went back to the broken network software story for the multiple fixed IP setup and said a fix might happen sometime in August or September, so later than promised before.

I think it is time for a call to demand compensation.
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 21:37   #48
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Doesn't sound goo d- I wonder if this is congestion at peak business times in the equipment terminating the tunnels.

I don't see similar slow down myself. Though it's possible that there are a range of tunnel termination points.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 14:59   #49
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Doesn't sound goo d- I wonder if this is congestion at peak business times in the equipment terminating the tunnels.

I don't see similar slow down myself. Though it's possible that there are a range of tunnel termination points.
Two locations in the UK, I've been told.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 00:37   #50
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Two locations in the UK, I've been told.
Do you happen to know if customer are mapped to a single one or do they effectively load balance connections across them?

I ask as if one of them is more congested this could explain why some are affected and others not.
Old 23-06-2017, 10:11   #51
APS
Inactive

APS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the roughAPS is a jewel in the rough

One of the 2nd level support guys told me that they had increased the number to four recently, which was why he thought this was not a congestion issue with the tunnels. However, since verifying we have slow speeds we have not heard any more from them!
APS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 21:14   #52
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post

From my tests it's obvious the latest firmware does include Intel's fix.
Not Necessarily, if you have a static IP and they are using a GRE tunnel to make it happen the lower jitter could be a result of said Tunnel.

Native VM IP

2xL2TP to AAISP over VM.

dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 23:37   #53
bma
Inactive

bma is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been bitten by this - they're still selling it, despite their tech support people knowing about the issue (one of them actually said to me today "I don't know why the sales team still sell it").

This was a residential-business transfer, and the whole point was for static addressing, now, due to the botched install, I've been left with a 20mbps internet connection and no phone line. Now my options are basically pay £80/month for 20mbps internet with static IPs, lose the static IPs - which negates the point of business or going back to residential - doing so loses our phone number as they can't be moved from bus to residential, and means renegotiating with residential.

It's crap that they're not telling people about this though. That's verging on fraud - they know they can't supply a service, but sell it anyway.
bma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 23:43   #54
ccarmock
cf.geek

They should make people aware there are performance issues in some cases with the static IP addresses. It seems to affect me at some times and not others when I get around 360 Mb/s down sometimes more.

I will be going after a refund when this is resolved for the months of poor service.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:50   #55
bma
Inactive

Do you know if there's any way to have a "hybrid" service?

E.g. we don't need the static IPs for the main connection (e.g. general internet) - which is where the massive slowdown causes issues - the static IPs are for outbound service which on the upload aren't going to saturate an even faulty GRE tunnel.

My router (pfsense) is more than capable of GRE tunnelling, so is there a way I can not use the built-in GRE feature on the modem, and instead use the modem's dynamic IP and connect the GRE tunnel myself?
Old 06-09-2017, 22:01   #56
ccarmock
cf.geek

In theory you could form a GRE tunnel from another device that is running in Dynamic mode. The GRE tunnel is authenticated, but they provide the username/password, but will not provide the tunnel endpoint address.

However my understanding is that the problem is unlikely to be with the Hitron itself, but rather the GRE endpoints within the VM network. So you might still get poor performance even if you could make this work.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30   #57
bma
Inactive

Quote:
In theory you could form a GRE tunnel from another device that is running in Dynamic mode. The GRE tunnel is authenticated, but they provide the username/password, but will not provide the tunnel endpoint address.

However my understanding is that the problem is unlikely to be with the Hitron itself, but rather the GRE endpoints within the VM network. So you might still get poor performance even if you could make this work.
I've actually cancelled my order now and gone back to resi until they've got this sorted.

But my theory was that I don't need fast downstream to the static IPs. e.g.

dynamic ip -> router

router -> lan

router -> gre tunnel -> clients with static IPs (e.g. services which need upload more than download).

It seems perfectly feasible, but without a gateway address it'd be impossible.
Old 18-09-2017, 19:07   #58
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I've just been informed the 350mb upgrade is due to be completed by the end of the calendar year in the Cardiff area.

Once it is completed then I will consider taking it out. Hopefully any current problems will have been ironed out by then.

While I'm here does anyone know of a reliable supplier of quality screen printed T Shirts and printed mugs both here and in the US and/or Canada? Bulk purchase if the price is right.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 22:47   #59
thedotlair
cf.member

thedotlair is an unknown quantity at this point

Any news regarding the Static IP GRE fix that was being passed around? Looking to switch back at some point but not until it's been fixed.
thedotlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 17:31   #60
ccarmock
cf.geek

The problem still exists at the moment. There has been some progress in the past couple of week I gather, but now firm ETA for the fix as yet, though I know that VMB have a team working on the fix at the moment.