Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Wireless Access Point Router and Modem Help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Wireless Access Point Router and Modem Help

Old 26-09-2007, 21:14   #1
cnhchy
Inactive

cnhchy is an unknown quantity at this point
[Merged] Wireless Access Point Router and Modem Help

I set up a cable modem from virgin media at home. For home networking, I bought a router, and connected it to this cable modem. But, I could not surf internet from my laptop via wireless card. I checked my router and laptop. All things seemed to be fine. My laptop could reach my router, since it could be assigned to a IP address. But then, I also found that the sent packets were becoming more while the received packets were still ZERO in the box of networking connection of my laptop. This seemed to imply that the requests from my laptop were denied by the cable modem.

I worried a new MAC address needed to be registered in advance. So I cloned the MAC address of my router to my laptop’s Ethernet card, and finished registration online through Ethernet cable. I could surf internet by using this cloned MAC address on my laptop. Then I connected Ethernet cable to my router, and tried to connect internet by wireless card on my laptop. But it failed!

If any help, I would greatly appreciate you!
cnhchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-09-2007, 21:19   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: My Router is denied by cable modem!(Help me!)

When you change the device that is connected to the cable modem (or change the mac address) then you need to make sure you power down all of the devices, then restart them in this order: Modem, wait 30seconds, router, wait 30seconds, pc, and that should get you sorted
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 21:26   #3
cnhchy
Inactive

Yes, I know this order. I shut down all device. After enough time, I first switch on my modem, about few minutes, then switch on my router, after that plugin my wireless card. This problem has been existed. I think the modem denies my router.... Why? I have registered its MAC address by cloning the MAC of my laptop before....
Old 26-09-2007, 22:36   #4
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Try cloning the address of the modem. I've had to do that before.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 22:37   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhchy View Post
Yes, I know this order. I shut down all device. After enough time, I first switch on my modem, about few minutes, then switch on my router, after that plugin my wireless card. This problem has been existed. I think the modem denies my router.... Why? I have registered its MAC address by cloning the MAC of my laptop before....
Is the router configured correctly

Obtain wan Ip via DHCP
no login needed.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 22:37   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

When you have connected everything and you have a wireless connection to the router please run this:

start/run/cmd to open 'dos' window, then type command
ipconfig /all

please report back the IP address and default gateway shown for your wireless card.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 22:46   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Are you able to get a connection, WIRED, using the router?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 23:15   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

People might be able to give you a bit more specific advice if you state what your router actually is since we will then know what we're dealing with. "a router" isn't particularly helpful theres hundreds of different makes and models out there.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 23:47   #9
cnhchy
Inactive

My router is Netgear ME102, Access point. It has been set DHCP enable. My cable modem is NTL 250.
After connecting router to modem, I check ip configuration of my laptop via wireless card as follows,
Auto IP: 169.254.210.198
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
default gateway: blank
Old 26-09-2007, 23:53   #10
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

If you are getting a 169 IP address, it usually means Windows isn't connecting properly, so has assigned it's own IP.

Usually, routers use the 192 range of IP addresses.

See if you can connect to your router via a WIRED connection first, then try the Wireless.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2007, 00:39   #11
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Wired or wireless connection between router and PC you should be able to browse to the router's administration pages (check the manual for the url.

Make sure that the PC's network connection is set to obtain the IP and DNS automatically. I'd suggest getting rid of any mac clone you might have tried adding to the PC's network card. That might just confuse the router and / or the modem. Normally the most you'd do is clone the mac of the computer's card into the router's WAN settings, but strictly speaking that shouldn't be necessary.
Old 27-09-2007, 00:40   #12
cnhchy
Inactive

ME102 only provides USB cable connection. I check it current configuration,
IP:80.7.66.18
Subnet:255.255.252.0
Gateway:80.7.64.1

These should be assigned by cable modem. I try the wireless, but I still get 169 IP.... There is no any error or warning. How should I try it?
Old 27-09-2007, 13:28   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Aha

You have an access point, not a router. It's not going to work.

An access point simply passes through everything from a wired to a wireless network. There is no routing device inside it, so the modem, which can only speak to one device at a time, gets confused. The access point cannot allocat IP addresses, and cannot control what is being passed to where.
Old 27-09-2007, 13:33   #14
cnhchy
Inactive

wireless access point+cable modem

I set up a cable modem(NTL250) at home. I wanted to build up a wireless networking, and bought a wireless Access point(Netgear ME102). When I connected ME102 to NTL250, I could not access internet on my laptop via wireless card. I checked the configuration of ME102, which was configured by NTL250 automatically. All things seemed to be fine. But I checked my laptop, which got 169 IP, no gateway.
I worried about my ME102. So I brought it to my office, since I could try it through a HUB rather than cable modem. ME102 was connected to HUB directly. The same configuration as that at home! It was OK. I could access internet on my laptop via wireless card. My colleague also accessed internet through ME102 on his laptop. That's fine. ME102 is able to be regarded as a router! NO problem!

But why could ME102 not connect my laptop via wireless card when it was connected to NTL250 at home? I'm not sure if there is problem on NTL250. I knew the power order, first Modem, 2 mins, then router, 2 mins, final PC....

Any suggestion I would greatly appreciate!
Old 27-09-2007, 13:36   #15
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Re: wireless access point+cable modem

The problem is that the modem sees the ME102 as the connected device. The modem treats that as the single computer that it expects to speak to. The modem can only speak to a single device, i.e. the directly connected computer - or a router that is first in line instead of that direct connected computer.

The access point has no inteligent brain inside that allows it to issue IP addresses, DHCP and other forwarding information to the computers further down the network, whilst appearing to the modem as being only one machine. A router has that facility.