Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help needed to choose wireless router for VM DSL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help needed to choose wireless router for VM DSL

Old 02-08-2008, 12:06   #1
indigenous
Inactive

indigenous is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Help needed to choose wireless router for VM DSL

Hello,

I have a VirginMedia 10MB connection. My modem is apparently an ntl:250 (sticker on the bottom). (Desktop) computer is rather old (P4, 1.7 GHz - still working fine - and WinXP SP2). I am interested in getting a wireless router to connect a laptop which comes with its own (internal) wireless adaptor - also running WinXP.

In the past, with a BT ADSL line, I had a Netgear DG834T (108Mbps) which worked fine with a Netgear WG511T cardbus (on another older laptop). I was considering getting a Netgear WGT624 for the VM cable connection but I have noticed on some online forums that there are several versions of it and many people have had great problems with it (I also found it available from an online store at a low price but I cannot be sure which version they actually sell).

Could someone recommend a decent reliable router for the desktop and laptop? (No need to be Netgear, I simply am used to them).

Many thanks.

Rof
indigenous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2008, 12:41   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Help needed to choose wireless router for VM DSL

to the forums.

Many members here would recommend a Linksys WRT54G or GS. If you want to dabble with 3rd party router firmware then you'd need the WRT54GL / GS or an older (second hand) version of the WRT54G.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:56   #3
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice

All the routers that Kevin T specified are all worth looking at, I use a D-Link DI-624, the D Link equivalent to the Netgear WGT624, i am very impressed with the routers range and speed, i am 2 floors up from it and get near perfect signal.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 13:05   #4
indigenous
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
to the forums.

Many members here would recommend a Linksys WRT54G or GS. If you want to dabble with 3rd party router firmware then you'd need the WRT54GL / GS or an older (second hand) version of the WRT54G.
Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the welcome and the info. Can you please explain:

- what is the difference between the different models (G, GS, GL)? Which one is "best" and which the most "up-to-date"?
- do Linksys models suffer from a similar "version plague" like the Netgear WGT624 (i.e. do I need to be 100% sure which version I am buying?)?
- I am not sure what "third party router firmware" is (I understand the phrase but I can't see why I would want to go down that route).

Many thanks for your time!

Rof

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegrinder View Post
All the routers that Kevin T specified are all worth looking at, I use a D-Link DI-624, the D Link equivalent to the Netgear WGT624, i am very impressed with the routers range and speed, i am 2 floors up from it and get near perfect signal.
Hello,

Thank you for the response. Are the two companies linked? (both using the same number for their models seems quite strange). If they are the same thing only in different package, I wonder if the D-Link would have similar Netgear-type unreliability issues.

Many thanks.

Rof

EDIT: Also a question to both of you. Do these routers offer firewall/security features similar/equivalent to the Netgear model?
Old 02-08-2008, 13:38   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigenous View Post
Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for the welcome and the info. Can you please explain:

- what is the difference between the different models (G, GS, GL)? Which one is "best" and which the most "up-to-date"?
- do Linksys models suffer from a similar "version plague" like the Netgear WGT624 (i.e. do I need to be 100% sure which version I am buying?)?
- I am not sure what "third party router firmware" is (I understand the phrase but I can't see why I would want to go down that route).

Many thanks for your time!

Rof
The G is the straight 54Mbps model, GS has 'speedbooster technology' which claims to increase throughput by up to 35%. This is probably only worth it for future proofing as I'm not sure of the compatibility of any built in laptop wireless adaptors with this. The GL is basically a reintroduced version 4 of the G model running a Linux OS. This has more RAM & flash memory so that it can be flashed with third party firmware.

Versionitis is rife with Linksys as well! I think v7.2 is the latest UK version of the G, v6 the GS & v1.1 the GL. Wiki page with version details (think these include US versions too) here.

Third party firmware basically offers more features/control for the router. The most popular for the Linksys are DD-WRT & Tomato.

[Edit] a) It's Kevin b) yes
Old 02-08-2008, 13:46   #6
indigenous
Inactive

Many thanks and apologies for the typo (did a minor edit above )
I get the feeling that you suggest that between the G and the GS, probably the former would do. Re:the 3rd party firmware, do I understand correctly that I need either an old model or Linux (which I dont use)?
Also, does the "54" in the model number suggest 54 Mbps? Does Linksys do "108" models? (would an "108" be better or just a waste of money?).

Thank you!
Old 02-08-2008, 14:06   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

The third party firmware will work on pre version 5 G models or the GL. Linux was referring to the OS that the router itself is running, later models of the G changed to VxWorks as an OS. You don't have to be using Linux as a PC OS to use the GL.

Yes, 54 is referring to the wireless g standard 54Mbps. Linksys do wireless N (or strictly pre-N as it's still in draft form) routers, details here. Again, it would be for future proofing, as you'd need a compatible wireless N adaptor for your laptop.

I have a Linksys WRT54G on the VM 20Mbps service & I get 19Mbps through the wireless link. Having said that, I'm about 10 feet away from the router in line of sight!
Old 02-08-2008, 18:31   #8
indigenous
Inactive

Oh...what I wrote on Linux now seems quite embarrassing...
I wonder how I can find what speeds the on-board wireless adaptor supports (54 or 108). Unfortunately, I do not have the laptop's manual. Could you suggest something?

Many thanks!

PS. I have noticed that PCWorld offers the WGT624 for a very good price under their Collect @ Store system (reserve at the -cheaper- online price and collect at your local store). I popped around this afternoon at my local store and they indeed stock the v4 of the Netgear router. Its online price would perhaps be cheaper than the Linksys ones.
Old 02-08-2008, 18:57   #9
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Almost certainly any existing laptop will have a 54g wireless card. If so, no point in getting anything other than Linksys WRT54G which I also get nearly a full 20Mps wirelessly.

You may find the set up disk does not work. If this is the case, it is easy to do by entering 192.168.1.1 in your web browser and entering admin and admin for user name/password. (Set it up temporarily with an ethernet cable while you do this.)

If this happens, come back to the forum and somebody will tell you the very easy steps to set it up (choose automatic configuaration DHCP and give the SSID the name of your choice)

It is best also to set up security. After that, the router just gets on with the job.

I have never bothered with version numbers or changing the firmware (would not know where to start). I have had mine for about 2 years and have recently set up one for somebody else.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 23:59   #10
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Pay the extra few £ and get the WRT54GL

The 3rd party is superior to the linksys stock in almost every way as far as im concerened.

Not surpised linksys reintroduced the Linux varients after the Vxworks switch I think when they switched to vxworks sales went though the floor.

I Suspsect they sell a fair few just on the basis its easy to replace the stock firmware with DD-WRT/Tomato.

IMO tomato is better but DD-WRT supports more routers.

Both are very easy to install on the wrt54GL its a simple case of downloading the firmware going to the firmware upgrade option in the Linksys's menu and uploading the new firmware.

It gives a ~£35 router features rivaling routers costing 10x more.
http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...prodID=1136421

I've had a couple things from that site and they are very quick to deliver (one was actually a wrt54gl and the other was a server)
Only reason I sold my WRT54GL is because I use WRT160N's now but if you don't want wireless N then its a very solid performer.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 15:43   #11
indigenous
Inactive

Many thanks to oliver1948uk and dragon for this info.
Lambda-Tek seems to have quite competitive prices. I have looked around at various websites and a few others that stand out (price-wise) include: http://www.stuff-uk.net/, http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/ and http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

Out of curiosity, has anybody had good/bad experience with any of these?

Many thanks to all for your help!
Old 03-08-2008, 16:42   #12
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Many thanks to oliver1948uk and dragon for this info.
Lambda-Tek seems to have quite competitive prices. I have looked around at various websites and a few others that stand out (price-wise) include: http://www.stuff-uk.net/, http://www.morecomputers.co.uk/ and http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

Out of curiosity, has anybody had good/bad experience with any of these?

Many thanks to all for your help!
Haven't used overclockers recently but did use them a few years back and never had a problem, although i think there are some people that did.

Haven't used the other 2.

Tend to use Ebuyer, Dabs/Btshop, Scan.co.uk, lambda-tek

Also just used Misco but can't rate them yet will see once it arrives.

Aria I'm not that keen on never had a problem with stuff arriving when it should but they were a real Hasstle to deal with when I had a problem with a faulty item.

Eclipse-computers are ok if they have what you want, if they haven't (Even if the site says they do) or they send the wrong item they can be a right PITA to deal with.

Kustompcs (http://kustompcs.co.uk) first delt with them at an I-lan and a couple time since, Not the cheapest around but great service, even managed to get a caddy i wanted (nowhere in the Uk stocked it at the time)
Old 05-08-2008, 15:59   #13
indigenous
Inactive

Thank you for your help. I much appreciate it. To make a step forward, and since I am not really used to using 3rd party firmware, what should my steps be once I get the WRT54GL router? Do I install the software that will come with the router? Download the latest version from some Linksys website? Or download 3rd party software and start from there?

Regarding the third party software, could anyone provide any links (in this forum or elsewhere) giving instructions/help with the setup and the use of the 3rd party software? I would not consider myself a "power" user neither do I use P2P, torrents etc. hence I am not sure I would be comfortable with too many options and features to fiddle with. So, I guess, my question would be what does the 3rd party software has to offer to the average/ignorant user in terms of performance, stability and security?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 05-08-2008, 17:39   #14
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thank you for your help. I much appreciate it. To make a step forward, and since I am not really used to using 3rd party firmware, what should my steps be once I get the WRT54GL router? Do I install the software that will come with the router? Download the latest version from some Linksys website? Or download 3rd party software and start from there?

Regarding the third party software, could anyone provide any links (in this forum or elsewhere) giving instructions/help with the setup and the use of the 3rd party software? I would not consider myself a "power" user neither do I use P2P, torrents etc. hence I am not sure I would be comfortable with too many options and features to fiddle with. So, I guess, my question would be what does the 3rd party software has to offer to the average/ignorant user in terms of performance, stability and security?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you!
There is no software that you need to install when you receive the router. The Linksys firmware is already loaded.
You can download the file Tomato_1_21.z from here, unzip it to decompress the firmware & follow the user guide to load & set it up here.
There is a list of the features here.

To be honest though, if you don't use P2P with lots of connections, or anything that would benefit from better QoS capabilities (such as a VOIP phone) it may not be of that much use to you.

Dragon may be able to comment on any increased stability in day to day use.
Old 05-08-2008, 18:04   #15
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
There is no software that you need to install when you receive the router. The Linksys firmware is already loaded.
You can download the file Tomato_1_21.z from here, unzip it to decompress the firmware & follow the user guide to load & set it up here.
There is a list of the features here.

To be honest though, if you don't use P2P with lots of connections, or anything that would benefit from better QoS capabilities (such as a VOIP phone) it may not be of that much use to you.

Dragon may be able to comment on any increased stability in day to day use.
No sorry I reflashed all my Linksys routers straight away so no idea about the stablity beforehand stable with tomato or DD-WRT