Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrading Router from D link Dir 165

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Upgrading Router from D link Dir 165

Old 26-08-2010, 20:21   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Upgrading Router from D link Dir 165

Hi all

I got this router from Virgin but the wireless connection appears poor and only covers about 10 feet !

I would love to upgrade it to get a better coverage within the house but I not sure what to go for ie a directional router or one with just a better siginal.

Would really appreciate any views and recommendations on this issue.

Many thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-08-2010, 20:22   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Upgrading Router from D link Dir 165

That router should provide better range than that have you called up to complain about it.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 20:32   #3
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
That router should provide better range than that have you called up to complain about it.
Thanks........what sort of range should I get ?
Old 26-08-2010, 20:51   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Thanks........what sort of range should I get ?
It should cover a normal house and depending on location the garden as well.

I have an Edimax N router in my upstairs front bedroom and can sit in the back garden online over 50ft away browsing sound sounds like a dodgy router.
Old 26-08-2010, 20:56   #5
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
It should cover a normal house and depending on location the garden as well.

I have an Edimax N router in my upstairs front bedroom and can sit in the back garden online over 50ft away browsing sound sounds like a dodgy router.
First port of call change wireless channel
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 20:59   #6
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
First port of call change wireless channel
I suppose so as many are set to auto so to change it put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return, you will then be asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank, and then click login and they will be presented with a Dlink screen on the left chose wireless setup and then go to manual setup at the bottom and you will be presented with the setup screen in here you will find your SSID and below that is the channel selection just choose one click save and try your network.
Old 26-08-2010, 21:02   #7
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
I suppose so as many are set to auto so to change it put 192.168.0.1 and press enter/return, you will then be asked for a username which is admin and password which you leave blank, and then click login and they will be presented with a Dlink screen on the left chose wireless setup and then go to manual setup at the bottom and you will be presented with the setup screen in here you will find your SSID and below that is the channel selection just choose one click save and try your network.
Actually the d link is set at 6 by default, changing to auto usually helps
Old 26-08-2010, 21:13   #8
Mike
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks currently set to 6 do I just choose another and give it a go ? ? ?

Many thanks and appreciate the help

Regards

Mike
Old 26-08-2010, 21:53   #9
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Actually the d link is set at 6 by default, changing to auto usually helps
They go to auto after a pinhole reset we tend to find.
Old 26-08-2010, 21:55   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Thanks currently set to 6 do I just choose another and give it a go ? ? ?

Many thanks and appreciate the help

Regards

Mike
Pretty much, try checking the auto box and see what happens
Old 27-08-2010, 11:07   #11
Mike
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If I did this would be the likely outcome ? ? ?

Thanks
Old 27-08-2010, 11:11   #12
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

Thanks
If it is deemed faulty it will be replaced under warranty.
Old 27-08-2010, 17:42   #13
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Thanks
Could it be your device that isn't picking the signal well?
Old 27-09-2010, 14:49   #14
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Hi all

I got this router from Virgin but the wireless connection appears poor and only covers about 10 feet !

I would love to upgrade it to get a better coverage within the house but I not sure what to go for ie a directional router or one with just a better siginal.

Would really appreciate any views and recommendations on this issue.

Many thanks

Mike

I had exactly the same problem, signal very poor infact laptop was about 5 feet from router to get a signal, as soon as moved into another room signal was lost, so I ended up reinstalling my linksys and instantly a signal covers whole house, not impressed with the DLink one bit, I see a suggestion of changing a channel might help but this should not affect the wireless range, and if channel 6 is the problem causing the range why is this the default channel, I thought everthing nowadays was plug and play.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 12:27   #15
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Assuming we're actually talking about the DIR-615 (165?), I used to get superb coverage even with stock firmware's transmit power option set to its lowest percentage.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote