Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can only gain internet access via standalone modem instead of router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Can only gain internet access via standalone modem instead of router

Old 28-08-2009, 06:25   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Angry Can only gain internet access via standalone modem instead of router

Ok, this is really starting to get on my nerves. Roughly two days ago at 6:30pm, the internet suddenly dropped on my router. No problem I thought, ill restart it and that will resolve it, but it didn't. I then disabled my internet security software (Comodo), that didn't help. I then tried a factory reset on the router, and re applied all the settings (bear in mind that I haven't touched it, since I set it up when it was bought brand new, last year sometime). however using a Speedtouch 330 USB Modem, my computer can get internet access, and I can browse webpages etc.

I should also mention that when putting the router back in place, that it says that im connected to the internet (DSL and Internet lights are solid green) and vista reports and internet link, but I cant browse any webpages.

I can ping and traceroute
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2009, 06:33   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Can only gain internet access via standalone modem instead of router

Have a look and see if the manufacturers have released a firmware update for your router. If they have you could try applying that, perhaps a config file has got corrupted somehow and that's screwing things up (maybe).
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 07:44   #3
zing_deleted

what router is it?
Old 28-08-2009, 08:20   #4
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

This sounds like a classic DNS problem where you can ping but not browse.

To check, open up a cmd prompt and try pinging google.com
If you get a reply then this is not the case.

However if you don't but can ping IP addresses you need to find a suitable DNS server.
199.166.31.3 is a free one I have used in the past when my previous ISP's DNS kept failing.
You can set this up under network settings.

Do you use zone alarm? Sometimes I have managed to block browsing and I am never sure why?
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 21:49   #5
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Must have been a DNS Problem, or something to do with the line as I couldn't get on-line until now. Glad its fixed though. Oh and I use a Linksys WAG 200G Wireless Modem/Router with Comodo AV + Firewall
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote