Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | multiple internet connections (cable + adsl)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

multiple internet connections (cable + adsl)

Old 12-10-2005, 00:43   #1
stamp92
Inactive

Services: 1.5mb Broadband
stamp92 is on a distinguished roadstamp92 is on a distinguished road
multiple internet connections (cable + adsl)

anybody know of a software program that would let me balance my internet traffic over two connections cable 2mb and adsl 2mb? if i could do this then id get a combined speed of 4mb
stamp92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2005, 06:08   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: multiple internet connections (cable + adsl)

Moving to Computers and IT Forum
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:30   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamp92
anybody know of a software program that would let me balance my internet traffic over two connections cable 2mb and adsl 2mb? if i could do this then id get a combined speed of 4mb
Not sure about software but you can get a load balancing router that will do the job.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 23:46   #4
stamp92
Inactive

anybody??
Old 13-10-2005, 00:00   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The only thing I can suggest is do a search on routers that support both ASDL & Cable

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 01:32   #6
zing_deleted

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...pID=12&Alt=Yes

Few options here I like the 3rd one down but its way expensive
Old 14-10-2005, 17:29   #7
stamp92
Inactive

im amazed theres no software solution. it seems quite a straight forward thing to do.

download managers make multiple connections to servers and put the files all together so it seems strange a software application cant just make a few connections through one connection and a few connections through the other connection
Old 14-10-2005, 17:57   #8
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Using my limited and probably incorrect knowledge, you want to do a process called Connection Teaming. I looked into it a while abck and came across two very hard-to-get-hold-of-since-they-are-now-obsolute software packages. If memory serves me right, these are called Midpoint and Intergate.

Now I dont condone software piracy and all that but since these programs are now obsolute and I dunno what the ruling on that is, if you would like to try them out, PM me and i'll send you a link to download.

From what I experienced when I tried it wasnt very successfull or indeed straightforward. Complications arise when the serving system (ie the one you are getting data from) gets confused as to what connection to reply on.

The way I used to do it was using the dos command 'route' to specify what sites went through what connection. That way if I was heavy downloading from one site, I would push it through my Cable and have my DSL free for surfing without any issues. This method certainly worked good for me but took a bit of knowledge and quite a it of management.

I dont know if I dreamed this (and please shoot me if I did) but windows 2000/2003 server support some form of Connection Teaming albeit maybe not in the complete form that you are after.

Anyway, have a think and if I can be of any more help PM or post here (that way others can stay involved).

Steven
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2005, 15:45   #9
stamp92
Inactive

thanks very much for you help steven
Old 18-10-2005, 23:54   #10
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

I think you can do this with linux but it is quite complicated. As Steven says above, you need to route different sites through different connections, so it sounds like a pain in the ****.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote