Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 02-12-2003, 20:17   #61
madcap
Inactive

madcap is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

I have a question maybe someone can answer for me. I had a BT line that I used just for the internet in the old dial up days. I ended up getting rid it though as It always seemed to get a terrible crackle on the line thus making the dial up useless. It didn't happen all the the time but it was quite often and so after at least 10 attempts by engineers to fix the problem ( who always swore it was fixed ) I got rid. Anyway would this noise on the line affect ADSL if I went down that route in the future?
madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2003, 20:19   #62
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Once you sign up for ADSL with your chosen provider, BT do a check on the line for DSL compatability.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 20:23   #63
madcap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Once you sign up for ADSL with your chosen provider, BT do a check on the line for DSL compatability.
Ahhh but i would have to get the BT line back first, which I wouldn't want if its no good for the ADSL with the noise on the line. Whats the min contract these days for the phone line?
Old 02-12-2003, 20:29   #64
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcap
Ahhh but i would have to get the BT line back first, which I wouldn't want if its no good for the ADSL with the noise on the line. Whats the min contract these days for the phone line?
I couldn't see anything on BT's site about a minimum term, so why not ring them on 0808 100 5152 & ask them?
Old 02-12-2003, 20:36   #65
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome

Quote:
I dunno weather this would help but BT told me that if any work had to be done on the line after the engineer was checking it you can cancel the installation and not go ahead with the transfer (i guess you must make sure from the start that BT understand why you are switching back to them)
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 20:42   #66
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
I just rang them, & they said if there's been a BT line in the property before, the minimum term is 3 months, so it's not too bad if the line should fail the DSL test.

HTH.
Old 02-12-2003, 21:28   #67
madcap
Inactive

okay thaks for the help guys, guess I'll just give them a ring and ask them what my options are, if the line is not up to a certain standard i would of thought i could just cancel anyway.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:33   #68
th'engineer
Inactive

Services: up to 30 MEG CF version of Peter Kay
th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to th'engineer

Neil has your online gaming experience improved by using ADSL. I have been getting some serious stick off my Teenager this week. Over lag and bad pings told him the reasons why, but teenagers are not that reasoned.
He said that he was going to his mates who have ADSL from ZEN.
th'engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 10:39   #69
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by th'engineer
Neil has your online gaming experience improved by using ADSL. I have been getting some serious stick off my Teenager this week. Over lag and bad pings told him the reasons why, but teenagers are not that reasoned.
Not that different really TBH m8. My cable pings were always good, but they are slightly lower on ADSL (only about 10/15 ms lower), so no major difference.

The main differences are reliable E-Mail, no proxy/browsing issues, a stable connection to the web, decent customer service, & a company I feel I can trust.
Old 03-12-2003, 23:33   #70
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
okay thaks for the help guys, guess I'll just give them a ring and ask them what my options are, if the line is not up to a certain standard i would of thought i could just cancel anyway.
Some ADSL isp's (if you order your adsl hardware direct from them) they wont ship it/charge you for the hardware if the line test says your BT phone line isnt upto the required standard. (If your not sure its always best to ask/if they do send out the hardware and you send it back for a refund you could end up paying a handling charge)

BT usually asks you to contact them 7 days after your line has been re-activated alternativly if you decide to go ahead and contact an ADSL provider the ISP that you have choosen automatically asks BT to test the line before they go any further.

I once took the BAM away from the line and it is possible to talk and surf at the same time but the noise does get on your nerves after awhile.
Old 03-12-2003, 23:50   #71
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H

Quote:
Originally Posted by th'engineer
Mine arent that different either.

Having problems at the mo' with Connection inturuptions during games, but this is down to the USB modem, I think with me still running on USB1.0

Will be getting a ADSL Router/Modem at crimbo anyway
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 23:52   #72
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H
Mine arent that different either.

Having problems at the mo' with Connection inturuptions during games, but this is down to the USB modem, I think with me still running on USB1.0

Will be getting a ADSL Router/Modem at crimbo anyway
Good move Steve. I can recommend the Netgear DG824M.
Old 04-12-2003, 00:03   #73
DrAwesome
Inactive

Quote:
what put me off the DG824M when i read somewhere (i think it was adsl guide) that there is a major bug in ver 1.3 Release 03 it crashes when transfering large files. (obvously it will nodoubt be fixed in the next firmware update)
Old 04-12-2003, 06:56   #74
gt94sss2
cf.member

gt94sss2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The DG824M has just been replaced by the DG834G (new model supports 802.11g as well as 802.11b which the 824 supports)

Not to be confused with the DG834 which replaces the DG814 (both non wireless)

The new 834 series has only started shipping recently so it may be a struggle to find anywhere which has stock - they are selling out very quickly atm
gt94sss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 00:35   #75
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I've taken the plunge, I rang BT today, they are coming to install the new (I say new but it's not ) line on the 10th, I can't get over how easy it all was. No hassle, no messing around, and so friendly. Cant think why we didn't switch ages ago, oh yer, that bloody 12 month contract .

I also rang Bulldog today, what a difference in attitude than Ntl, couldn't help me enough and the guy actually knew what he was talking about *

so thats me happy, should have bulldog by crimbo, just got to wait until tomorrow and call to cancel my Ntl accounts (that'll be fun )

*no offence to all those excellent CS agents at Ntl that do know what they are on about, but you know what the others there are like (well you work with them so you must :p )
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote