Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Video output settings for 4K tv - which are best?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Video output settings for 4K tv - which are best?

Old 06-11-2017, 15:29   #1
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point
Video output settings for 4K tv - which are best?

I have a lovely new LG OLED 55B7V. It's absolutely stunning, I have to say.

However, I am not sure what to do when it comes to the V6 video output settings.

I have my V6 connected to an Onkyo TX-L50 amp via HDMI, which in turn is connected to the ARC HMDI input of the LG (so I can get 4K HDR through the TV's Amazon Prime Video app and play the sound through my amplifier).

The V6 has now automatically set the video output to 2160. I think this means the V6 box will upscale everything to 4K?

However, I note that I have the option of manually selecting the other video output formats (i.e. 2160, 2160 pass through, 1080 p etc. etc.).

Should I do this and let the TV handle the signal? Or should I leave it with the V6 doing everything? I'm not really sure which (if either) is best.

My amp also has the option to upscale output to 4K. I guess if I am going to let the TV handle the pictures, then I should probably make sure that the amp isn't upscaling either.

Any thoughts/advice would be gratefully appreciated.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2017, 15:32   #2
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Video output settings for 4K tv - which are best?

I use 1080p and 2160p in passthrough only
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 15:45   #3
bolgerp
cf.member

Thanks Ozsat. I have to say, some of the technicalities go over my head a bit so excuse what may be a very basic question:

What is the difference between having the V6 box upscale and just using the passthrough options? If I let the TV handle the picture, will it upscale 1080p to 4K? And if so, is there a difference in picture quality doing this vs. having the V6 upscale?
Old 06-11-2017, 16:23   #4
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
Thanks Ozsat. I have to say, some of the technicalities go over my head a bit so excuse what may be a very basic question:

What is the difference between having the V6 box upscale and just using the passthrough options? If I let the TV handle the picture, will it upscale 1080p to 4K? And if so, is there a difference in picture quality doing this vs. having the V6 upscale?
I believe you should normally let the TV do the upscaling, They generally make a better job of it. Particularly with a really decent TV as you have.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 16:34   #5
bolgerp
cf.member

Super... thanks both. I'll change the settings this evening and see what that looks like.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20   #6
bolgerp
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
I use 1080p and 2160p in passthrough only
Hi Ozat. I tried doing this last night. However, I cannot seem to deselect the 2160p setting on it's own just to leave 2160p and 108p passthrough. If I deselect 2160p, it then automatically deselects everything else in the list. The best I can do is 1080p passthrough, 2160p passthrough and 2160p.

Is this the same for others?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:20   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgerp View Post
Hi Ozat. I tried doing this last night. However, I cannot seem to deselect the 2160p setting on it's own just to leave 2160p and 108p passthrough. If I deselect 2160p, it then automatically deselects everything else in the list. The best I can do is 1080p passthrough, 2160p passthrough and 2160p.

Is this the same for others?
Other people may get other options, depending on their TV. The TV tells the V6 which formats it supports, and the V6 won't let you select formats that aren't compatible with the TV.

Try all the formats available to you in turn, and see which give you the best picture.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 13:30   #8
bolgerp
cf.member

Thanks Spiderplant... will have fun over the next few days as I play around with various settings :-)