Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why are we still bothering with SD?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Why are we still bothering with SD?

Old 12-08-2013, 15:38   #31
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
I only have HD for the wife who will go out of her way to watch it, I don't see the point in it myself so don't record / watch HD stuff.

I can see a time when it'll all be HD but I'm in no hurry for it to happen.
A lady with vision and is she the Hotel Inspector to boot
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2013, 15:44   #32
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
A lady with vision and is she the Hotel Inspector to boot
It'd be nice, but my missus is MUCH better looking
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 15:51   #33
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Thumbs up Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
It'd be nice, but my missus is MUCH better looking
Old 12-08-2013, 16:25   #34
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Well, the title says it all really, what's the point? Surely at some time in the future, SD will disappear altogether leaving us just with the HD channels. As far as I am concerned it might as well happen sooner rather than later! It would presumably free up a load of bandwidth and reduce costs, also it would end the rediculous channel numbering system we have at present where the HD variant of a channel may be hundreds of channels away from its SD version.
I appreciate that some people would have to upgrade their TVs, but have you seen the prices of basic HD TVs these days, they're dirt cheap!
I honestly can't see a downside to this suggestion, but appreciate that others may have a different point of view and if so would be interested to hear it.
Actually, no. Every channel moving to HD only would not save bandwidth. It would actually use a lot more. This is why we are *never* likely to get a situation where SD is switched off entirely. There is also the problem for current SD channels of cost. While you or I might only have to upgrade 1 TV at the cost of £100 or £200, a TV company would have to look at upgrading all it's cameras, recorders, editing systems and playback systems. Not to mention the networking and power systems of it's buildings, as the new equipment is likely to use a lot more power. This is actually the reason the BBC moved out of Television centre: It would have cost too much to fully upgrade TC for HD work. In short, you or I would be looking at a couple of hundred pounds for a cheap set. A TV company (even a small one) could be looking at several million pounds of expenditure to upgrade their buildings and equipment.

Personally, I don't think we will get a situation where the current channels with both HD and SD variants will switch the SD variants off. Purely because while HDTVs are dirt cheap these days, they are still out of reach for some people. Not everyone can afford to throw out a perfectly good SD set purely because the world has gone HD, even if new HD sets are around the £100 mark.

---------- Post added at 15:25 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Well, some interesting points there. I have to say I don't quite understand the compensation argument, no-one suggested that Kodak should compensate anyone who owned an old camera when they said they weren't going to make film any more. No-one suggested that the makers of HD DVD devices should pay compensation to owners when they lost out to Blu Ray in the format wars and loads of other examples of similar that have occurred over the years!
Spiderplant is, I think, looking at things from Virgin's point of view. Because we rent the STBs from Virgin, people would (rightly) expect them to provide replacement boxes for free (or at least a reasonable cost) if any of the major channels stopped SD broadcasts. I think, although I am not sure, that there may also be a legal requirement for them to do so, or at least allow the customer to terminate their contract with no penalty.

When you buy something (like a Blu Ray player or Camera), the company's responsibility toward you ends when the warranty does (and even then it's limited). When you rent something from a company, their responsibility does not end until the contract is cancelled, which may take years (or even decades).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 23:58   #35
badoerfan
cf.member

badoerfan is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing that I do dislike about Virgin and HD is how the HD channels are nearly all high up in the channel numbers. It would be much better if they did what Sky did and swapped them with the SD versions at the lower numbers.

Unfortunately, they're going away from this recently, swapping the HD channels of Alibi, Watch etc with their +1 variants, bringing the +1s to lower numbers and HD channels to forgettable high numbers.
badoerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 13:23   #36
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by badoerfan View Post
One thing that I do dislike about Virgin and HD is how the HD channels are nearly all high up in the channel numbers. .

That may sometimes have a hidden advantage. I remember reading a post a while back now, by someone that said that Tivo will pick the highest numbered channel to record a wishlist item from, if the same whishlist show appears at the same time on two different channels.

I can't say that I've studied this at all, but I have noticed that whishlist shows that turn up on Sky One or Living tend to pick up the HD channel and some whishlist shows that turn up on the BBC are sometimes on the BBC1 Eng and BBC2 Eng channels. It could be pure coincidence though?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 13:43   #37
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
One thing that I do dislike about Virgin and HD is how the HD channels are nearly all high up in the channel numbers. It would be much better if they did what Sky did and swapped them with the SD versions at the lower numbers.

Unfortunately, they're going away from this recently, swapping the HD channels of Alibi, Watch etc with their +1 variants, bringing the +1s to lower numbers and HD channels to forgettable high numbers.
Maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but why are you concerned with the channel numbering system?

If you are only interested in the HD channels, then why not just select HD on the EPG when looking for the channel you want?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:21   #38
badoerfan
cf.member

badoerfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but why are you concerned with the channel numbering system?

If you are only interested in the HD channels, then why not just select HD on the EPG when looking for the channel you want?
Because I'm not 'only interested in HD channels. Frequently I'll be flicking through the channels looking for something to watch, and find something interesting on ITV4 or Comedy Central, only to then be confronted by the 'oh god, what number is ITV4 HD? 182? 168? Somewhere around here... 175? Eventually I'll find it, but it'd be a lot less effort to have the channel lower down - who wants to watch the SD version of a channel they have in HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
That may sometimes have a hidden advantage. I remember reading a post a while back now, by someone that said that Tivo will pick the highest numbered channel to record a wishlist item from, if the same whishlist show appears at the same time on two different channels.

I can't say that I've studied this at all, but I have noticed that whishlist shows that turn up on Sky One or Living tend to pick up the HD channel and some whishlist shows that turn up on the BBC are sometimes on the BBC1 Eng and BBC2 Eng channels. It could be pure coincidence though?
I think you may be right, and that's a very good point. I do wish they could at least stay grouped together (on channels 131, 132 and 133, for example), rather than shoving the HD variant up high.
badoerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 14:47   #39
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

SD will undoubtedly die off. It may take another 10 years +, but it will happen. There will be few people left with non HD TVs, studios will all eventually upgrade to HD equipment as it's getting cheaper each year. It'll get to a point where having to downscale to SD causes more hassle.

People use to say that about widescreen - that as not everyone has a widescreen TV, 4:3 programmes would be around for a while yet. To a point it is, but not for much longer.

Only historical programming will remain in SD 4:3...! The future is HD 16:9 or better.

Can you imagine when UDH/4K really takes off, trying to watch SD on a 100in screen? No chance.
bamav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 16:53   #40
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Because I'm not 'only interested in HD channels. Frequently I'll be flicking through the channels looking for something to watch, and find something interesting on ITV4 or Comedy Central, only to then be confronted by the 'oh god, what number is ITV4 HD? 182? 168? Somewhere around here... 175? Eventually I'll find it, but it'd be a lot less effort to have the channel lower down - who wants to watch the SD version of a channel they have in HD?

So why not go straight to the HD channels to look up your programmes?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 17:08   #41
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Current regional programs are still shown on SD, I am not interested in non Yorkshire based adverts whilst watching say ITV HD.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 17:17   #42
karma mechanic
cf.member

karma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enoughkarma mechanic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So why not go straight to the HD channels to look up your programmes?
Because then the SD-only ones won't be listed?

I read it as 'browse all channels to see what's on, but have an easy way to get to the HD version if it is an SD programme that catches your eye'.

Personally I'd like an option to hide SD versions of HD channels entirely.
karma mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 18:01   #43
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

Still think SD will last a while yet and not everyone has the full XL package and all the possible HD channels.
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:21   #44
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Maybe we've been spoiled but the SD picture on some channels is terrible. Watching a re-run of Man Utd v Liverpool on SS3 and the picture is shocking.
Old 13-08-2013, 20:45   #45
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

IIRC that's down to bitrate rather than the picture definition. There has always been a very noticeable difference in quality between the main PSB channels like BBC1 and some of the also-rans, on satellite at least.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote