Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 31-10-2017, 17:01   #136
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Oh dear so saving a few pence means more to you than hard working people being in a job what pays them a liveable wage.
I'm not sure that you read the last line of my post. In any case, this is about customers, not employment policies!

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
They may well listen, but I suspect they won't change a thing until either their profits are affected or the government intervenes.

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

I can see two ways this will work. If they don't ask you to register, they will simply track what their viewers are watching en mass and use this to schedule the shows. This is not new, and is actually what Channel 4 do in this country with More 4.

If they do require you to register, then yes, they open up the possibility of an individually scheduled channel, but they could (and probably will) harvest all sorts of other information about you, which they could then sell on. That info, at the very least, will be used to advertise stuff to you and could be used for other stuff. Stuff that doesn't benefit you. Imagine a situation where you (for whatever reason) buy a lot of junk food at your local supermarket. You have a loyalty card, and are using it to save up points. By using that loyalty card, you are giving the supermarket permission to track what you are buying. You may also be giving them the right to sell that information. Perhaps to an insurance company you are looking to buy life insurance from. All of a sudden, your premiums go up because you buy a lot of junk food (even though it may not actually be for you). Now, add in data from streaming services (which, even if they don't already sell the info, you can bet the terms of conditions of service give them the freedom to sell it). Now, I doubt that you watching dodgy 80s action movies on Netflix is going to massively impact your life, but the technology exists, should some company decide to, to merge all this info into a nice, handy, profile which companies trying to sell you services (such as life insurance or loans/mortgages) can use to determine your lifestyle. Even if the use of such info is illegal, companies will actively lobby governments to get the law changed.

Linear channels cannot track your personal information even if the owners wanted to.
I think you will find that there's already far more information out there about you than you realise. I don't think this is breaking new ground.

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
VM, BT and Talk Talk all have an upstream from their TV boxes and can track what every customer is watching.
I suspect that as a broadband connection is required for Sky's on demand service they do the same.

I have anecdotal evidence that VM do track their customers usage,
when I recently renegotiated my contract the agent tried to upsell me a V6 box and higher TV package, I explained I hardly ever use my Tivo and don't need a different box or package, within a few seconds he replied "oh no you don't do you".

Its not beyond a stretch of the imagination to think that carriage agreements with linear suppliers would include the sharing of what is being watched on their channels, but I don't think the law would allow the sharing of who is watching those channels.
Yes, I think you are right, buckeye.
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2017, 21:25   #137
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Oh here we go - Netflix is a threat to the BBC!

Next, Hall will be calling for restrictions to be imposed against the company, or some sort of broadcasting tax!

Why can't these monopoly organisations actually try to compete instead of trying to kill off their competitors?

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...en-british-tv/
Old 03-11-2017, 08:38   #138
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

You don't seem to like the BBC do you OB?.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:31   #139
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You don't seem to like the BBC do you OB?.
To be honest, I do like a proportion of their output, but I don't like the way it is managed, nor do I like their sense of entitlement.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:29   #140
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
To be honest, I do like a proportion of their output, but I don't like the way it is managed, nor do I like their sense of entitlement.
Who says that the BBC feel a sense of entitlement OB?
Old 03-11-2017, 13:04   #141
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Who says that the BBC feel a sense of entitlement OB?
Well, we've been through all that previously. Let's just see what comes out of this initiative. If Hall doesn't make some sort of demand to keep the BBC at the top of the pile, I would be rather surprised!

This is a taste of what I was talking about, but you can Google lots more.

https://flipchartfairytales.wordpres...ement-culture/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 03-11-2017 at 14:51.
Old 07-11-2017, 19:39   #142
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Next, Hall will be calling for restrictions to be imposed against the company, or some sort of broadcasting tax!

Why can't these monopoly organisations actually try to compete instead of trying to kill off their competitors?

Sky's response
https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/m...etting-started
Old 07-11-2017, 20:28   #143
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Good article....
Old 07-11-2017, 21:32   #144
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Capita are the biggest threat to BBC with their antics of trying to get tv licence sales, also Capita are medical proffesionals too apparantly.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Very good article.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:44   #145
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
...also Capita are medical proffesionals too apparantly.
Some might say professionals, others would, maybe, prefer to say cowboys. It's all a matter of opinion.

Old 08-11-2017, 13:27   #146
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Some might say professionals, others would, maybe, prefer to say cowboys. It's all a matter of opinion.
My experience i'd say the latter.
Old 09-11-2017, 15:02   #147
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

OTT is now the source of favourite programming.

As the nation comes to realise the value for money, quality of content and convenience of streaming services, conventional linear TV will start its big decline. Reports like this show which way we are going, and what happens in the States generally comes to the UK shortly afterwards.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...gramme-source/
Old 09-11-2017, 15:29   #148
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Good find OB..
Old 21-11-2017, 10:41   #149
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

According to Phenix, there is a growing reluctance by viewers to sign up to streaming services for live sporting events due to latency issues.

Given that streaming is being seen as the way for the future, this will have to be resolved without delay.

Does anyone get this with the Virgin Media V6? I used to get awful problems with the BBC i-Player on my old Tivo, with freezing, stuttering, etc, but no problems at all with the V6s.

I'd like to think that with decent equipment, sufficient Mbs, and decent signal distribution within the home, we would not suffer from these problems.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...ive-streaming/

And yet the way to watch the Olympics this year if you want full coverage, will be through the Eurosport Player.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017...osport-player/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-11-2017 at 10:53.
Old 21-11-2017, 13:53   #150
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
According to Phenix, there is a growing reluctance by viewers to sign up to streaming services for live sporting events due to latency issues.

Given that streaming is being seen as the way for the future, this will have to be resolved without delay.

Does anyone get this with the Virgin Media V6? I used to get awful problems with the BBC i-Player on my old Tivo, with freezing, stuttering, etc, but no problems at all with the V6s.

I'd like to think that with decent equipment, sufficient Mbs, and decent signal distribution within the home, we would not suffer from these problems.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...ive-streaming/

And yet the way to watch the Olympics this year if you want full coverage, will be through the Eurosport Player.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017...osport-player/
Not quite the same well in a way it is, if it's helpful when i watch matches streaming via NBCsports or ESPN they are only around 20 seconds behind the tv broadcast and on a 38mbs connection well 20mbs with my vpn i never have any freezing issues, buffering or disconnections etc.
Closed Thread