Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Just upgraded to freesat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Just upgraded to freesat

Old 02-04-2016, 05:47   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Just upgraded to freesat

Having gotten rid of VM TV i bought a freesat box from Currys i got a Humax HB-1000S.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...56672-pdt.html

The neat little thing about this box is if u plug in an external hard disk or USB Pen u can record content to it.

I now have the channels which i watch which are BBC and ITV channels and costing £11 a month less.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2016, 11:13   #2
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Just upgraded to freesat

I did a deal with VM where I got my tivio box and just freeview stuff for 50p/month
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 17:22   #3
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Similar situation with me. It was cheaper to go onto M TV and keep TiVo than to cancel VM TV and keep broadband and house phone.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:55   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

To keep M TV and Tivo box would have cost me £11 more they quoted me if i upgraded to 300mb as i had to get a tivo box so i scrapped TV and got the 300mb.

I only watch BBC and ITV anyway.

Also ITV player actually works on freesat and doesnt keel over and die like on virgin.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:35   #5
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

I'm not on M TV I'm on freeview only TV. and I'm saving a lot of money by downgrading.
Old 03-04-2016, 21:39   #6
alanbjames
R.I.P.

My friend has done the same. He had the big daddy bundle which is outdated. Got rid of TV and saving just over £40 a month.
Old 18-05-2016, 00:41   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
I'm not on M TV I'm on freeview only TV. and I'm saving a lot of money by downgrading.
Do you mean you just view the unencrypted channels, as M is the lowest TV packages.

Do you have recording facilities activated?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 13:08   #8
techguyone
Deus Vult

I suppose. Yes they made me have a TIVO so I can also record & catch up etc (although only on the channels that are freeview/unencrypted) I'm not a huge TV watcher so it made sense for me.
Old 18-05-2016, 15:35   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

It looks like you are on the free M TV package then.

Thanks for the info as I'm thinking if doing this.

M TV was always free if you took a landline, but a £5 a month TiVo fee was introduced when TiVo came in.

If I cancel the TV side of things when I'm out of contract as opposed to downgrading, I'll hopefully get a similar deal.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 16:01   #10
techguyone
Deus Vult

I had to pay a one off charge for the TIVO (I was quite happy with my VHD box but I had to have one apparently. That aside if you're not a big TV viewer & you like to record stuff etc, it's a good package - I pay something daft like 50p/month for it.