Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 11-05-2015, 15:37   #406
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Not saying they aren't going sub based but saying it's a good idea is absurd. From Microsoft's point of view it's money making genius, from the consumer point of view it's an an absolute disaster.

Windows 7 kind of reminds me of XP in a way people want to remain on it as long as vaiably possible. If you're into PC gaming that goes straight out of the window, of course you'd need Windows 10 for DX12.

Might be just me but everything about Microsoft has been rife for the past few years. The one size fits all strategy for Windows 8 was hideous. The Xbox one is the most idea lacking overpriced piece of equipment I've seen, their original ideas for it were marketing disasters.

I'm starting to actually believe SteamOS is the only saviour for us that have spent big on equipment because I can't see myself moving to Windows 10 if subs and a one size fits all model persist.

I'm looking for reasons not to have to change to a completely different OS so I'd appreciate those reasons to get Windows 10 if anyone has any.
Old 11-05-2015, 15:46   #407
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Not saying they aren't going sub based but saying it's a good idea is absurd. From Microsoft's point of view it's money making genius, from the consumer point of view it's an an absolute disaster.

Windows 7 kind of reminds me of XP in a way people want to remain on it as long as vaiably possible. If you're into PC gaming that goes straight out of the window, of course you'd need Windows 10 for DX12.

Might be just me but everything about Microsoft has been rife for the past few years. The one size fits all strategy for Windows 8 was hideous. The Xbox one is the most idea lacking overpriced piece of equipment I've seen, their original ideas for it were marketing disasters.

I'm starting to actually believe SteamOS is the only saviour for us that have spent big on equipment because I can't see myself moving to Windows 10 if subs and a one size fits all model persist.

I'm looking for reasons not to have to change to a completely different OS so I'd appreciate those reasons to get Windows 10 if anyone has any.
it not happening Microsoft stated aim is to have 1 billion windows 10 users in 2 to 3 years a subscription model not going to happen at all believe Paul Thurott and Mary Jo Foley on this
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:33   #408
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
windows is not going subscription don't worry Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley always said it not going to happen

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

no it not

no body can categorically say if it will be or will not be yet Kevin Turner made it clear that we will know over the spring and the summer. A lot of pundits are pointing in that direction also.

For Microsoft it certainly would be a good money making plan just look at Xbox live PSN . Anything over a few quid a month though would mean I spent more on an operating system in 1 years than I have in 2 and within 2 or 3 years more than I have ever spent before. Microsoft will make money out of it somehow

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Quote:
it not happening Microsoft stated aim is to have 1 billion windows 10 users in 2 to 3 years a subscription model not going to happen at all believe Paul Thurott and Mary Jo Foley on this
seriously why would I trust those 2 ? Kevin Turner chief operating officer at Microsoft has made statements that could ( and I say could because he didnt actually say it) point to a potential subscription format in the future

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...or-windows-10/
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 13:37   #409
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Perpetual licensing may not be sustainable in the long run so don't rule out a subscription model. Be wary as Windows 10 probably isn't cheap/free for no reason.

Global PC sales have been on a slippery slope for the past 3-4 years thus OEM licensing revenue follows suit. This eats into the consumer share of Microsoft's revenue stream which is roughly about 25% of their business.

My feeling is that they will move to a subscription type model with some sort of value added Azure cloud services bundled into the deal.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 15:22   #410
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

there is no way ever for Microsoft to meet there stated goal if it goes to subscription model no chance at all will 1 Billion do that so they defeats there goal it not going to happen IMHO
Old 12-05-2015, 15:30   #411
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
there is no way ever for Microsoft to meet there stated goal if it goes to subscription model no chance at all will 1 Billion do that so they defeats there goal it not going to happen IMHO
remember windows 10 for screens lower than 7 inches are free. And it is not windows 10 per se but what Windows 10 upgrades to after the free year that people will be paying for.
Old 12-05-2015, 15:33   #412
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
remember windows 10 for screens lower than 7 inches are free. And it is not windows 10 per se but what Windows 10 upgrades to after the free year that people will be paying for.
9 inches - that makes all the difference to some MY windows tablet runs 8.1 is an 8inch one and it's pretty good considering it only has 1gb ram. I am looking forward to it being updated to ten.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 15:36   #413
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw View Post
9 inches - that makes all the difference to some MY windows tablet runs 8.1 is an 8inch one and it's pretty good considering it only has 1gb ram. I am looking forward to it being updated to ten.
even better
Old 12-05-2015, 16:42   #414
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Indeed. Remember also the goal is to have smartphones, tablets, laptops, desktops, internet-of-things devices, and media sticks all running Windows 10. As you say, if it's free for all desktops for a year, free perpetually for smaller devices, and included on all other new device purchases, it's hard to imagine them not having that many users. And then there's the fact they're pushing micro IoT devices running Windows 10 for your light bulb and fridge.

... Unless the OS ultimately turns out to suck harder than Vista, which is still a possibility.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 11:09   #415
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

Anyone can get Windows 10 free. Even you have Windows xp.
All you have to do is become a tester. Install Windows 10 by scratch fresh install on new partition or new hard drive or delete the old Windows.
Its free for anyone who becomes a tester, regardless of OS. They've made that pretty clear on many occasions...

The Win7/8 restriction is only if you don't care about being a tester.
from Techradar website
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 11:21   #416
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
Anyone can get Windows 10 free. Even you have Windows xp.
All you have to do is become a tester. Install Windows 10 by scratch fresh install on new partition or new hard drive or delete the old Windows.
Its free for anyone who becomes a tester, regardless of OS. They've made that pretty clear on many occasions...

The Win7/8 restriction is only if you don't care about being a tester.
from Techradar website
This is 100% NOT correct, anyone on the insider program will need a valid Windows 7,8.1 key to get their FREE Windows 10 upgrade in the first year, unless this has changed in the last 24hrs.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it does not look like the Windows 10 RTM will be gifted to Insiders, at least for now. This could change closer to the release, right now however, all we know is that Microsoft is saying that a valid Windows 7 or 8.x license will be required. And that officially answers that.
http://www.neowin.net/news/psa-windo...ifying-license
Old 13-05-2015, 12:00   #417
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Gabriel Aul @GabeAul
· May 11
@ImXeeon It will be a free upgrade from a valid Win7 or 8.x license, within the first year of release.
Old 13-05-2015, 12:08   #418
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Is it possible to stop the notification 'Record a Game clip' from popping up delay without recording one?
Old 13-05-2015, 13:16   #419
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Is it possible to stop the notification 'Record a Game clip' from popping up delay without recording one?
have you told it you have done it in quests? (Insider Hub)
Old 13-05-2015, 13:32   #420
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
have you told it you have done it in quests? (Insider Hub)
Will check it out when i get home from work at 22:30. Thanks.