Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phil Coulson was right!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Phil Coulson was right!

Old 03-09-2017, 18:23   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Angry Phil Coulson was right!

To explain:

For the last year I've been a member of the Bike Locker Users' Club, making use of thw BLUC lockers at Moor Lane. My typical work night went like this: ride bike to Moor Lane; put it in a locker, safe and weatherproof; catch bus to work; do my shift; catch bus back to Moor Lane; retrieve bike; ride home. Easy. I wish I'd known about the scheme two or three bike thefts ago.

Now the new Bolton Interchange has opened, and Moor Lane's closed. But hey, there's a brand new cycle hub just outside, with swipecard access and CCTV, and it's enclosed and therefore weatherproof. Great...

...except you can't use the damn thing past midnight and I work nights. It is therefore utterly useless for my purposes. Hence the thread title, which refers to what Coulson said in the very first episode of Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.:

"People tend to confuse the words 'new' and 'improved'."

This new thing is not, to me, an improvement. This restriction is apparently for "security reasons".

Oh, please. They seriously need to get over themselves and grow up. Nothing security-related ever happens in Bolton. EVER. The announcements over the PA in Moor Lane and the train station - "Please help to reduce the number of security alerts by keeping your luggage with you at all times" - are irrelevant in Bolton. If the number of alerts is reduced, we then have a negative number of alerts - what, if anything, does that mean?!
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2017, 03:43   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Phil Coulson was right!

Ah, Bolton council. Remember them well when I lived in Horwich. Utterly useless!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:08   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Ah, Bolton council. Remember them well when I lived in Horwich. Utterly useless!
Live down here and you might not like our council either as they could not plan a piss up in a brewery.
Old 13-09-2017, 10:14   #4
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

However, the situation has changed: there's a bike in there which I am certain was left overnight - I passed by the hub on my way to catch the bus to work just before 9pm, and the next morning it was still there!

So much for "security concerns". I have therefore decided to join the hub after all, and once my swipe card arrives I'm just going to leave the bike (locked-up, of course!) in there and see what happens.
Old 16-09-2017, 09:00   #5
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

- and nothing whatsoever happened.

My bike - and the one I've been keeping an eye on, which still hasn't moved - were both still there this morning. There was no note attached saying 'please do not leave your bicycle in the Hub overnight'; nor have I received (nor did I seriously expect!) any email to that effect. Thus I think I can now regard this as a solved problem.

Bloody stupid rule anyway!