Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | List of web browsers for you all

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

List of web browsers for you all

Old 09-02-2006, 15:55   #31
toom
Permanently Banned

toom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many feathers
Re: List of web browsers for you all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer
Firefox isnt crap at all, you can make sites compatible (the ones that only work in IE) by downloading IE Tab
Why bother?
toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2006, 15:58   #32
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by toom
Get a proper browser, like MSM.
Got a link, I can't find hide nor hair on google about a browser called MSM
Old 09-02-2006, 16:23   #33
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Got a link, I can't find hide nor hair on google about a browser called MSM
could it be this?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 16:39   #34
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quote:
Firefox isnt crap at all, you can make sites compatible (the ones that only work in IE) by downloading IE Tab
Why bother?
Because it saves having to switch between browsers
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 16:41   #35
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
could it be this?
I was wondering that, but he was saying it is better than FF and that one looks sh*te!
Old 09-02-2006, 16:45   #36
goblin
Inactive

goblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nicegoblin is just really nice

2 more for your collection:

OffbyOne
http://offbyone.com/

K-meleon
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

If you are looking for an overlay for IE then there is this:
http://www.phaseout.net/
goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 22:00   #37
toom
Permanently Banned

toom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many featherstoom has ruffled too many feathers

Quote:
If you used a browser that was allready compatable with your needs then you wouldn't switch anyway.
Old 10-02-2006, 00:04   #38
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Get a proper browser, like MSM. FF is dollop, and so are these other ones you all mention like netscape, they do not support a lot of of utilities, they are about as much use as a cat flap in a rhino house!
Actually, its the other way around. Firefox is in fact have better at making websites work and following Web Standards than IE. IE has problems with css and one of the reasons that some sites only work in IE is because of bad coding on part of the developer of the site.

IE has dodgy CSS support, is quite insecure, and by modern standards it outdated. A lot of browsers now have pop blocker, tabs and search. Most of these issue are going to be fixed in IE7.

Otherwise IE is an awful browser.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:09   #39
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Quote:
Get a proper browser, like MSM. FF is dollop, and so are these other ones you all mention like netscape, they do not support a lot of of utilities, they are about as much use as a cat flap in a rhino house!
Actually, its the other way around. Firefox is in fact have better at making websites work and following Web Standards than IE. IE has problems with css and one of the reasons that some sites only work in IE is because of bad coding on part of the developer of the site.

IE has dodgy CSS support, is quite insecure, and by modern standards it outdated. A lot of browsers now have pop blocker, tabs and search. Most of these issue are going to be fixed in IE7.

Well Said
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:42   #40
driver_problems
Permanently Banned

Services: ntl 1meg cable modem Skysports & Movies, Film4 and phone
driver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud ofdriver_problems has much to be proud of

Quote:
yes - firefox can stumble with some banking sites I use
will install that - cheers
driver_problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:47   #41
toom
Permanently Banned

Quote:

Iv,e not had any popup problems for ages, mabe it is because of norton or zone alarms that I have, i can't remember, but you dont't need to rely on up to date browsers to filter these out as there are seperate programs for them anyway that would probably do the job better. And saying that websites are poorly programed because they do not support FF is just a cop out, try the other way round. Maybe FF will be the future of web browsing, but it's got a long way to go yet before it can take on IE or MSN, FF has done litte for me so far apart from saving my passwords when I DL when I use from paysites, it can't even multiple DL.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:23   #42
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
[]And saying that websites are poorly programed because they do not support FF is just a cop out, try the other way round. Maybe FF will be the future of web browsing, but it's got a long way to go yet before it can take on IE or MSN, FF has done litte for me so far apart from saving my passwords when I DL when I use from paysites, it can't even multiple DL.
Actually, when you say "Multiple DL", you mean "split a file into pieces and download from multiple servers", then IE cannot do that either, without extra software.

As for websites not displaying properly on FF, well, that *is* bad coding on those sites. You appear to be assuming that everyone views the web on a PC. While most people do, not everyone does. A lot of people view the web on their mobiles, or handheld devices (such as Playstation Portables or PDAs) attached to wireless networks. I haven't even mentioned the people who view the web through their TV, or the blind who may need to use adapted browsers (a site that relies on special IE features won't work well with screen readers. I also haven't mentioned that sizable number of user who dare to use an Operating System that is in competition to Windows (MacOSX, Linux and other Unixes).

anyway, I have to admit, I agree with you in one way, I don't like Firefox myself. I personally prefer Opera.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:46   #43
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

You ever tried making a website with CSS? They look different in firefox than they do in IE. ! The code is fine, works in FF, Safari, Opera and then IE comes to mess it up.

Code that only works in IE means very bad code.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 16:23   #44
toom
Permanently Banned

Quote:
You ever tried making a website with CSS? They look different in firefox than they do in IE. ! The code is fine, works in FF, Safari, Opera and then IE comes to mess it up.

msm is the top browser for me
Old 11-02-2006, 17:53   #45
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Quote:

msm is the top browser for me
MSM?
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote