Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Splitter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Splitter

Old 10-07-2016, 20:01   #1
Splitter
Inactive

Splitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Splitter

Hi all

I've been fixated with a splitter

Virgin Media, on a cable, is bringing me internet through the wall and into the superhub in the living room. Outside the house in that little Virgin Media cover I've connected a splitter to the prexisting cable that goes round the back of the house and on the first floor bedroom. So I've split the cable but I've still got good enough internet through the ground floor Super hub.

I'd like to ask, What can I do with the second cable that goes in the bedroom upstairs?
(I've already connected an ancient tv box and it plays at least 5 tv channels without subscription bbc1,bbc2,itv1,c4,c5)

Can I configure a router so I can have a separate network upstairs?
can I have internet through that 2nd cable somehow?

I'd like to use it but I dont know how. And I dont want to touch the superhub on the ground floor that is in working order.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_way1-1024x890.jpg (117.5 KB, 3 views)
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2016, 14:39   #2
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS
Re: Splitter

Only 1 VM Router per account... There are other options such as power line adaptors to send the internet upstairs
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 18:59   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Splitter

you can have two separate networks in your house which will use the shub as a gateway and share the same internet connection but having two separate internet connection is a different kettle of fish. VM will do it for you if you ring up but you will be paying for two connections and sharing the same bandwidth available to your area so you may not necessarily benefit from increased speed. The best thing you can do is keep your current VM connection and then sign up with a different isp like Sky for a second connection; it gives you a high level of redundancy and you know you'll never be with an internet connection.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote