Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Android Launchers and Keyboards

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Is 4K worth it?

Old 24-01-2017, 11:34   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Is 4K worth it?

I have a 49" HD TV and I'm considering upgrading to a 55" 4K. Is the improvement in picture quality worth it? I rarely watch stuff in SD these days, I tend to stick to HD, Blu Ray and PC gaming. I use my PC for all my media except Blu Ray and I currently have an Nvidia GTX 970 GPU which I believe can put out HDMI 2.0

I'd like some opinions from you guys who have gone 4K.

Thanks.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2017, 11:59   #2
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Re: Is 4K worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
I have a 49" HD TV and I'm considering upgrading to a 55" 4K. Is the improvement in picture quality worth it? I rarely watch stuff in SD these days, I tend to stick to HD, Blu Ray and PC gaming. I use my PC for all my media except Blu Ray and I currently have an Nvidia GTX 970 GPU which I believe can put out HDMI 2.0

Thanks.
I saw a 55" 4K panel in the Reading Richer Sound's shop and the picture quality and definition was superb, so I think a 55" 4K would suit you fine.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 13:05   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I suppose it depends on what 4K sources you have?

I've seen 4K on demo in a Panasonic store and it was incredible with a custom made 4k source. But around the corner was one being fed by a BluRay that just looked washed out.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:06   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I suppose it depends on what 4K sources you have?

I've seen 4K on demo in a Panasonic store and it was incredible with a custom made 4k source. But around the corner was one being fed by a BluRay that just looked washed out.
Quite.

By the time 4K content is widely available the prices will have come down too.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 18:41   #5
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

4K is well worth the money, upscales HD picture and mine looks great when playing Blu-ray Discs - I have a Sony 43"
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 02:33   #6
OhReally

Quote:

Thanks.
So you're proposing to ditch a perfectly working 49" telly, just to get the ability to watch 4k, when you watch HD & BluRay mostly?

Why not just keep what you've got, unless you're sitting about 12" away you won't see the difference anyway.

Before the 4k fanboys jump in, simple laws of physics...
Old 25-01-2017, 11:44   #7
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Not denying the laws of Physics, but I replaced my old Samsung 40inch 1080P LED TV with an LG 4K 43 inch LED TV. The picture on the LG is far superior, even for 1080P content. It looks absolutely stunning showing 4K HDR content from Netflix and Prime Video (although be aware you do have to upgrade your Netflix subscription to the Premium one to get 4k HDR).

That said, I bought mine when the previous Samsung died. Would I have bought it had the Samsung carried on working (or had the repairs not cost nearly as much as my new TV)? No.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 14:08   #8
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

For the size of most living rooms in the UK, 1080p is more than enough

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 18:05   #9
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You may find this helpful.

https://www.tekrevue.com/tv-screen-size-calculator/
Quote:
How to Calculate the Optimal TV Screen Size Based on Resolution and Distance
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 20:04   #10
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
So you're proposing to ditch a perfectly working 49" telly, just to get the ability to watch 4k, when you watch HD & BluRay mostly?

Why not just keep what you've got, unless you're sitting about 12" away you won't see the difference anyway.

Before the 4k fanboys jump in, simple laws of physics...
I was CONSIDERING upgrading if the PICTURE QUALITY is WORTH it.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Thanks for your responses, I think I'll be sticking with the 49" LG.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 20:22   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Thanks for your responses, I think I'll be sticking with the 49" LG.
I'd hold fire, we saw what happened with 3D that was going to be "the" thing, which was really a vehicle for techno companies to try and sell us more product.

Let's see if it really is viable. HD was a dramatic improvement over SD but as for 4K or even 8K in the average front room?
Old 25-01-2017, 20:39   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Still think HD is the 'emperor's new clothes' ...

4k will soon become 8k when samsung, sony et al need a profit boost.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 22:24   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Still think HD is the 'emperor's new clothes' ...

4k will soon become 8k when samsung, sony et al need a profit boost.
Seriously?

Do you have a 32" TV?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 22:54   #14
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I've read that HDR is a bigger jump than 4K. Also OLED.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 11:13   #15
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I'll buy a new TV set when our 7 year old Sony 40" HD packs up, not before. I have an inbuilt resistance to buying the 'latest version' of anything but each to his/her own.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote