Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Install Delays

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Installation query - connection to bedroom

Old 31-12-2016, 09:44   #1
biohead
cf.member

Services: Voom 1
biohead is an unknown quantity at this point
Installation query - connection to bedroom

So I've recently decided to take an upgrade to TV for the first time which came with a free self install TiVo. That's all up and running at the main point in the house next to the Hub.

I was offered what I thought was quite a good deal for the package, but it didn't include a V6 box - so I rung up and took a paid upgrade to it. Not sure why, but it needs an installer visit and can't be self installed. So as I've got an installer coming (In Feb, couldn't get any earlier slots... yet) I thought I might broach the subject of moving the TV into the bedroom - however I only want to do it if it would be fairly easy for the Engineer.

My house is fairly new, and was prewired with cable. The entry point for the cable is at the front door - only accessible from the outside. From there, the internal cabling goes to the master bedroom into a blanked off backbox. Inside there, it's connected straight to another cable, which then goes to the living room and is the main VM branded point with the isolator.

My question is: would it just be a case for the engineer to go into that backbox, add a splitter between the two cables, one output being to the living room and the other to a new isolator which will be part of a new VM branded outlet at that location? If so, is that a fairly straight forward job for an engineer especially if I make sure everything is clear and the kettle is hot?
biohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-12-2016, 13:21   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: Installation query - connection to bedroom

If the house is precabled correctly it will be a doddle. The precabling is normally done by the house builders, not VM so it's down to their work. I moved away from service/installs before precabling was commonplace so not sure how well done It generally is. Although to be fair it can't be difficult just run cables from a central point to each room, so should be absolutely fine
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 13:54   #3
biohead
cf.member

Services: Voom 1
biohead is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that.
From what I've done in the house, I think the main entry into the house runs straight into the loft. From there it goes to the master bedroom, then comes back out of there and into the living room - there isn't a central point to spur things from.
I didn't know if an engineer would use a splitter in the bedroom with a 2nd isolate, or something different (like create a central point).
biohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 14:10   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Most likely just use a splitter, it's quick and easy.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote