Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 24-09-2011, 14:53   #646
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Nasty packet loss spikes and much higher base latency there Seph. I'd rather have a near-flawless VM service with a bit of jitter, I think... service in my area has been outstanding ever since my area was made 100Mb capable. Wish I could afford the upgrade, but 30Mb is fast enough for now.

zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2011, 15:59   #647
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Zeke, the packet loss could be caused by power failure ie Seph rebooting the modem\router.

here is mine btw..

Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 16:31   #648
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I haven't rebooted the modem in a long time, Chris. But I do have some VM downstream SNR and low power issues at the moment that will be affecting my own graph.

This time last month it was regularly like this:

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 17:02   #649
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Seems utilisation is on the up again on my uBR. Been like this for a few days now.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 17:20   #650
le.pa.uk
Inactive

le.pa.uk is an unknown quantity at this point

my story:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...YES/m-p/632509
and live now:
le.pa.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 17:31   #651
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Apart from where you were caning it a bit after 12 and a bit after 3 that graph doesn't look too bad Mr? Le Pa.

Yours is fine Neo-Tech. A little difference at peak times is to be expected really. Graphs that are virtually flat all the time are the exception rather than the rule on VM due to cable being so much more sensitive to load.

There needs to be some expectation management. When doing these graphs the key thing has to be, always, how they are affecting the connection in actual use.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 20:31   #652
le.pa.uk
Inactive

le.pa.uk is an unknown quantity at this point

It is better from last few days, but check my old ones.
le.pa.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 21:10   #653
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Not worried about the old ones, the past is prologue
Old 24-09-2011, 22:17   #654
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Yours is fine Neo-Tech. A little difference at peak times is to be expected really. Graphs that are virtually flat all the time are the exception rather than the rule on VM due to cable being so much more sensitive to load.
I know the connection is fine and what not, just saying how the margin of blue is increasing every evening. Pretty flat this weekend though.
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 23:36   #655
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I haven't rebooted the modem in a long time, Chris. But I do have some VM downstream SNR and low power issues at the moment that will be affecting my own graph.

This time last month it was regularly like this:

i was talking about ur BT one as i think he was on about the red drops on the graph there.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Quote:
Apart from where you were caning it a bit after 12 and a bit after 3 that graph doesn't look too bad Mr? Le Pa.

There needs to be some expectation management. When doing these graphs the key thing has to be, always, how they are affecting the connection in actual use.
i remember when VM brought in the Traffic management first of all and they were doing "Expectation Management" apparently lol

I remember i came home one monday after being in London with my ex for 3 days and i turned PC on and modem which had been off all that time and my connection was very very slow. I rang Virgin and this is the Gods Honest Truth i was told that "Because my modem was off for so long sometimes management kicks in on the modem because they expect the user to perform large downloads which could affect the network".

At the time i was living in a place called Brynmill in Swansea which is a high student area which around every 9 months would become oversubscribed and they would take then around 3-6 months to sort it.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 03:16   #656
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:

True, but for me personally on my graphs when I see the blue as thick as the green or thicker there is an impact in real world use, the extra latency is noticeable on web browsing and when using ssh (slightly if not too thick). I also start seeing download speed fluctuation.

I manage my own expectation by comparing it to other VM connections, especially my neighbour's, the way I see it if VM can make the service good for mr blue then there can reasonably do so for mr black.

A part of leics (kirby muxloe) which has infinity as competition has had more capacity allocated to it for less customers than my own area, so its not as if VM are equally provisioning capacity to people. One person can get leased line type performance another can get isdn type performance.

I hope you not condoning over subscription.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46   #657
magicone
Inactive

magicone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

I have just had 100MB installed a few days ago and was wondering what you made of the TBB graph below? As the connection will be used for online gaming do you think I will have any issues if my graph were to stay like it is at the moment?

Thanks

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
magicone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52   #658
Efour
Inactive

Efour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really nice

i would kill for a graph like that.

To me it looks about spot on average for Vm i guess between 25 - 45ms and 20ms of jittter all the time.
Efour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54   #659
Ignitionnet
Inactive

The blue is more indicative of actual jitter and is probably a bit of an overstimate. That graph is just fine though, looking good.

Swift update on my own, capacity in the area has been doubled and things are more calm, although they do still have their kinda busy periods, this weekend not being one of them thanks to the sunshine and the rugby!

PING 194.168.4.100 (194.168.4.100): 32 data bytes

40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=0 ttl=251 time=7.2 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=1 ttl=251 time=7.5 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=2 ttl=251 time=9.6 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=3 ttl=251 time=10.3 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=4 ttl=251 time=9.4 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=5 ttl=251 time=11.5 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=6 ttl=251 time=10.5 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=7 ttl=251 time=9.5 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=8 ttl=251 time=10.8 ms
40 bytes from 194.168.4.100: icmp_seq=9 ttl=251 time=8.4 ms

--- 194.168.4.100 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 7.2/9.4/11.5 ms

Old 02-10-2011, 12:03   #660
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I would love your graph ignition. Notice mine look somewhat shaky today?

Whats your capacity at now then? 2 docsis2 channels?

Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=252
Reply from 194.168.4.100: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=252
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote