Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

Old 25-03-2004, 18:04   #46
Inactive

Avatar has a spectacular aura about themAvatar has a spectacular aura about themAvatar has a spectacular aura about themAvatar has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to Avatar Send a message via AIM to Avatar Send a message via MSN to Avatar Send a message via Yahoo to Avatar
Re: Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

mrtg works fine for me

will post screenies when i get home.
Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2004, 18:39   #47
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Unhappy Re: Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
mrtg works fine for me

will post screenies when i get home.
The biggiest problem is if you are in an EX cable and Wireless area then you haven't got access to use MRTG. you can't eve ping it and do a docsis... NTL have it blocked due to security problems.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:36   #48
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Has anyone found a program that will monitor Internet traffic with a LAN (Linksys Wireless-G router)?

I am in a ex-C&W area, with a STB, and a LAN. I've always used DUMeter which is nice, but it includes 'inside' LAN traffic as well as traffic going 'outside', which is going to screw up my log.

Has anyone found a good app that will monitor traffic going outside from my computer (and preferably the others, but i'll tolerate it from my desktop only), but ignore the general LAN traffic? I use RealVNC which is really bandwidth heavy so that does have a big impact on my log. I've poked around and searched, but I can't seem to see a solution for STB/ex-C&W people. I might be getting a SACM soon (providing they don't hit me with a new contract) for the speed upgrade, is it any easier with that?

Thanx.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 15:45   #49
mojo

It's probably been said before but your best bet might be to get an old 486 (mine from from the tip) and use that as a router. Try IPCop, that has MRTG built in.

One nice thing about this solution is that you can use it to get around all the NTL related cock-ups. With a Linksys router, very often the DHCP would run out and not automatically renew, killing overnight downloads or online games. I set up a cron script to automatically renew the lease if it was less than 6 hours, repeatedly every 10 seconds until it's over 6 hours again. You can also run a transparent web proxy and dns cache, which reduces your bandwidth use.

Compared to the Linksys, it can cope with things like eMule which opens 500 connections at a time. The Linksys tends to drop them randomly after a while.

I reckon the 486 costs about £2/month to run, and cost me nothing. I modded the PSU fan to run on 5V so now it's nice and quiet too. I'd look for a low end Pentium or Cyrix though, as the web interface is a bit slow on a 486.

Tip: If you are already using a Linksys or other router, try changing the routers MAC address to the same one as the WAN side NIC in your 486 and registering it with NTL first. Then, when you swap over to the 486, you won't have to register and everything will just work.
Old 25-09-2004, 16:06   #50
Peach
Inactive

Peach is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Has anyone found a program that will monitor Internet traffic with a LAN (Linksys Wireless-G router)?

I am in a ex-C&W area, with a STB, and a LAN. I've always used DUMeter which is nice, but it includes 'inside' LAN traffic as well as traffic going 'outside', which is going to screw up my log.

Has anyone found a good app that will monitor traffic going outside from my computer (and preferably the others, but i'll tolerate it from my desktop only), but ignore the general LAN traffic? I use RealVNC which is really bandwidth heavy so that does have a big impact on my log. I've poked around and searched, but I can't seem to see a solution for STB/ex-C&W people. I might be getting a SACM soon (providing they don't hit me with a new contract) for the speed upgrade, is it any easier with that?

Thanx.

If you're using a WRT54g, why consider a 3rd party firmware? www.sveasoft.com it adds a load of features:

Local DNS Server
Static DHCP (thanks for Wumpus and Sveasoft forum for this patch)
Autorun Bash Shell Script (ABSS)
Restored Ping hack functionality
Transmit Power Hack Built-In (!!)
Antenna Diversity Selection
Support for DYNDNS Custom
Remote Wake On Lan Support
Added Support for 255.255.0.0 and 255.0.0.0 Lan Net Mask
Working Multi PPTP Passthrough
SNMP support
Latest BusyBOX installed
Worldwide Channel support 1-14 even in US release
Added Status page with uptime and CPU load info
Added more Server Profiles (Ident, MSN, VNC, et cetera) for Port Forwarding
Added Reboot Router/Service button (Administration) for soft reboot router OR manual reboot all Service
Fixed Linksys' problem with FTP Passive mode
Added support for ZoneEdit.com
Added Server Profiles for easy port forwarding w/ 20 templates

VPN features
------------
VPN (PPTP) server (Up to 1024 clients but max 5 due to RAM limit)
Support for WAN connect to Local PC behide WRT54G VPN
Support for VPN to WAN, using like a router VPN
Full Compress and Crypto mode, Faster/Better with full M.S 64/128 Bits Crypto
Full support for Windows 9x/2K/XP and Linux with PPTP Client

Added Telnet access to router- features:
-------------
Password protection (logon: root & password: same as router)
Turn on/off Telnetd service (Under Administration->Management)
Auto block telnet access from WAN to LAN

Including native SNMP and firewall monitoring via WallWatcher http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

It works really well.
Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 20:53   #51
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach
If you're using a WRT54g, why consider a 3rd party firmware?
Ahh, cheers for that. I'm a bit worried though, if I change the firmware to a third party one, and something goes wrong (only half transfers/gets corrupted or something), is there a way to reset it (without going into the admin page, like a button) so if anything goes wrong I can go back to the original firmware instead of permanantly damaging my router?
Old 25-09-2004, 21:15   #52
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Ahh, cheers for that. I'm a bit worried though, if I change the firmware to a third party one, and something goes wrong (only half transfers/gets corrupted or something), is there a way to reset it (without going into the admin page, like a button) so if anything goes wrong I can go back to the original firmware instead of permanantly damaging my router?
Hmm, the reset button on the router. The base firmware is encoded into permanent ram and cannot be removed.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2004, 21:17   #53
punky
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Hmm, the reset button on the router. The base firmware is encoded into permanent ram and cannot be removed.
Ahh cheers for that guys
Old 25-09-2004, 23:14   #54
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

I've tried a number of the 3rd party firmwares on my 54g but always seem to keep coming back to the ligit one! - PRTG did work though I do remember - I think I was having some wireless (MAC Address) problems which is why I resorted to the offical linksys one again!
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 14:44   #55
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

SNMP it's dead jim
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 22:15   #56
Eusa
Inactive

Eusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite66
SNMP it's dead jim
So I noticed from the 207 emails today reporting snmp timeouts :-(