Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

Old 22-02-2004, 21:04   #31
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

An Ambit SACM will display some limited information. Go to:
http://192.168.100.1/P_rate.htm
(the username and password are both 'root') and you'll see how many packets have been received and sent on each interface together with the number of seconds since the last reset and the average packets per second. I can't find anything about the number of bytes though.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2004, 21:47   #32
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
An Ambit SACM will display some limited information. Go to:
http://192.168.100.1/P_rate.htm
(the username and password are both 'root') and you'll see how many packets have been received and sent on each interface together with the number of seconds since the last reset and the average packets per second. I can't find anything about the number of bytes though.
Thanks Atlis - Thats a new one on me....

mmm Very handy !
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2004, 23:47   #33
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Thats the problem though... We Cant get access to 192.168.100.1 without reconfiguring a second ip address on the same subnet as the modem and local only with its default gateway as the cable modem.... As described in robins fix... Unfortunately this screws ICS up.....
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 00:00   #34
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Num
Just use this ,http://www.netlimiter.com/ ,instead.
That looks like it has to go on each pc I need one that will monitor the SACM which cannot be done while the SNMP is blocked
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2004, 10:46   #35
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

In case anyone is wondering if the SNMP block will be lifted, in light of the amount of cable hacks going around this is likely to be viewed EXTREMELY poorly by our security people. Our priority, rightfully, must be security first and user monitoring somewhere down the line.
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2004, 00:49   #36
hjf288
Inactive

hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

Um... SNMP isnt blocked its just the modem wont respond unless the card is on a local ip and local gateway.... Also if you want to monitor our usage accurately then NTL either need to setup a system where users can monitor their own usage or let us do it ourselves (Like we've been trying)...

Tools like DU-Meter arent good for networked computers with a router connecting to the net, sometimes they are inaccurate..... If we have a bandwidth dispute with you and our tools are inaccurate then we are going to look pretty stupid when we call CS and complain....

Also if you can monitor our usage now - Why not publish it to a database by username, create a site that will let us enter our username and let it query the system and just report the amount in Total, Download, Upload we have used... Nobody cares if its in fancy graphs.. as long as its readable, accurate and does its job....

Surely it cant be that hard because your already watching us right?

With regards to cable modem hacks going around - Isnt your TFTP enforce system stopping this? To change the speed of the modem would require a modified file with the new speed allowing the modem to work at the higher speed limit. If hackers cannot upload the file via TFTP which the modem uses right? then how would it be a security risk, Also people using Robin Walkers fix will still have access anyway as long as they arent using ICS (Then the other comps cant get on the net) so either way, people can use it to monitor providing their network setup is very simple...
Old 24-02-2004, 06:28   #37
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288
Also if you can monitor our usage now - Why not publish it to a database by username, create a site that will let us enter our username and let it query the system and just report the amount in Total, Download, Upload we have used... Nobody cares if its in fancy graphs.. as long as its readable,
accurate and does its job....
or even better make it public so we know who the hogs are.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2004, 08:08   #38
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
In case anyone is wondering if the SNMP block will be lifted, in light of the amount of cable hacks going around this is likely to be viewed EXTREMELY poorly by our security people. Our priority, rightfully, must be security first and user monitoring somewhere down the line.
This should also move enforcing the AUP somewhere down the line as they are linked.
Old 24-02-2004, 20:47   #39
Nutty
Inactive

Nutty is on a distinguished roadNutty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
or even better make it public so we know who the hogs are.
Isn't that a breach of my privacy? What gives you the right to know how I use my broadband?
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2004, 13:30   #40
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Nutty is right - it's not as simple as just allowing our bandwidth use table to be publicly accessible - there has to be authentication, legal warnings etc. It's not a small job by any means and unfortunately there are other things with higher priority. I say unfortunately as I'd love to do this as technical challenge.

I'd personally be quite in favour of allowing access to bandwidth monitoring from the line being monitored - i.e. you can see your stats via your modem but not from anywhere else. That would get round the need to authenticate, and is roughly what my ADSL ISP do (look at the RADIUS<>account detail link in that case as the authentication token).
BBKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2004, 00:16   #41
hjf288
Inactive

Ok so NTL are running speed trials upto 3mbit for their packages... I suppose we'll have this 1gb cap so that all that burning speed can be used up faster?
Old 26-02-2004, 00:19   #42
Nutty
Inactive

Nutty is on a distinguished roadNutty is on a distinguished road

The 3Mbit turbo stuff will be limited tho, not on all the time, and you might even end up paying by the hour for it so who knows. If ntl move to a metered system, then the cap will probably go, as then ppl downloading several gigs a day will end up paying ntl loads of money anyway, and the p2p leechers wont tolerate paying loads of money, so they'll either leave or stop it.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2004, 22:37   #43
Florence
Inactive

I was sent a link for a free program that will monitor the downloads. The older version is free the new on has a heavy licence fee.
Take a look at Object Planet but download the free one here

I was sent this link by JustAnotherNoob and it does seem to work on my connection using the routers ethernet card.

Nice one JustAnotherNoob..

Edited to add in a link to view it in use. I was listening to an online radio show something I do a lot off when I am doing college work.
Old 22-03-2004, 14:59   #44
NitroNutter
Inactive

Services: You cannot afford me!!!
NitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation era
Re: 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhw
If you have interposed a router between your PC and the cable modem, then you will no longer be able to monitor the Ambit 200, unless you add a secondary IP address in the 192.168.100.xxx subnet to the WAN port of the router. Very few routers targeted at the domestic market can do this.

On the other hand, if you have interposed a router between the family's PCs and the cable modem, you don't need to monitor the cable modem any more: you can monitor the router itself instead (and get separate figures for each member of the family!). You just need a router which supports monitoring by SNMP, or which there are many to choose from.
So I have to BIN my perfectly reliable domestic router that has it seems stopped any hack attempts against my household since its purchase and 2 years ago abuse@ntl recommended a firewall or better a nat router to protect me as i had been hacked and reported by someone as scanning a port. but as it probably is not SNMP compatable its to go, because you said so, a router which I have gained almost complete trust in.

1: The cap is ridiculous when the isp is promoting ics of allsorts including wireless.
2: The same RIDICULOUS cap applies accross all levels of service
3: Main problem is oversubscribed ubrs and upstreams where NTL turned around from a multi million defecit to a huge multi million profit in the last twelve months.
4: International friends of mine are pinging major uk sites hosted by ntl and all too often getting appaling results, and this is because the minority of uk ntl domestic user are hammering the service ?
5: IF ntl wish to enforce a nazi regime cap with vigour spend your profit on server side monitoring that we the customers have access to
then you can compare us to the nazi government regime of government owned isp's in AU, who I hasten to add are raising and removing the caps from many packages. You wont do this because you know your customer base will drop below 1 million qucker than it got there

A usage limit is fair when that usage limit is set fairly, and inline with current internet content and teared with the different levels of service.

150k users dont need a 1GB cap that will almost max them
600k users on a multi box household can easily push a couple of gig daily, tho it would probably average out less.
1Meg users should of course have the highest allowance

there are many 150k users who will just simply not upgrade their connection
thats loss to ntl.

and further you can subscribe to a extra service of rich multimedia content which ntl act as agents for and promote that will easily put you in the class of ""NTL ABUSER CUZ I USE THE SERVICE IM PAYING FOR"".

this is of course real business sense isnt it
SPEND SOME OF THAT PROFIT ON MORE UBRS A PROPER MONITORING SERVICE FAIR CAPS and you may just be the first isp to get 2 million subscribers.
Money leads to money when re-invested properly, greed just leeds to poverty

Or keep up with the current plan send a customer an abusive letter enforcing something thats not monitorable, your customers will leave in droves as the word spreads. There are many adsl packages offering cap free 2mbit services and more @ 1mbit
On top of this with all the holes in windows etc its real easy to be hacked and turned into a server unless you have respectable computer literacy that is a further risk.
NitroNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 23:06   #45
NitroNutter
Inactive

Services: You cannot afford me!!!
NitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation eraNitroNutter has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Num
Just use this ,http://www.netlimiter.com/ ,instead.
what use is that its just another client side app that cannot monitor multi box house holds behind a router.

If ntl cant provide an interface for us then how do they expect us to monitor our useage.
I know theyd like to think they can get away with customers have no need to monitor just like a telephone, but there are differences, and the internet is more like and electricity hook up than a telephone, only real difference between electricity and cable BB is watts to bytes. and the trouble with any cap is this is coming down the tv line which we TV is only restricted by channel quantity by our service level we pay for, and many have had cable modems with no such guidline cap for a good year or more of service.

And no way a 1GB cap is fair accross all service levels anyway, if they enforce it harshly it will only equal many 1meg users dropping to 600k and, 600k users dropping to 150 with many from 600 and 1meg leaving alltogether. With that word will spread just as fast to potential future customers who will also look for altenatives. Then they will have to up the price of all tears which will just drive more away existing customers and those contemblating BB
NitroNutter is offline   Reply With Quote