Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

Old 17-02-2004, 13:59   #16
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: 1GB Cap Letter!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
Ah the routing table entry - I remember..... I would have though that the routing table needs to be updates on the router via a static stub network entry or the like !!!!

Now that both of you have mentioned the website Hmmmmmm - It does look a little fishy !!!!
I thought it looked fishy with someone mentioning 10 gig daily downloads Yesterday. I don't see how anyone would be able to max out 24/7...

So, are there any other people that have received a letter, and if so, can we see a scanned version of it?
Old 17-02-2004, 14:00   #17
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
Yes it is running but only logs when the router is not included. as soon as I place the router in MRTG adds nothing to the graph even though it updates it twice a day.
If you have interposed a router between your PC and the cable modem, then you will no longer be able to monitor the Ambit 200, unless you add a secondary IP address in the 192.168.100.xxx subnet to the WAN port of the router. Very few routers targeted at the domestic market can do this.

On the other hand, if you have interposed a router between the family's PCs and the cable modem, you don't need to monitor the cable modem any more: you can monitor the router itself instead (and get separate figures for each member of the family!). You just need a router which supports monitoring by SNMP, or which there are many to choose from.
rdhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 14:01   #18
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherN00b
I have a feeling the router doesn't like the idea of talking to the modem on 192.168.100.1, think Robin Walker has touched on this with his previous posts on the subject.
To get MRTG to run without the router I had to do Robins workround.

IPconfig gives me this now.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.22
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Open to suggestions that can make this work
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 14:06   #19
rdhw
Inactive

rdhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation erardhw has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
To get MRTG to run without the router I had to do Robins workround. IPconfig gives me this now.
Code:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.22
If you have made this configuration, and your PC is now behind a router, then this configuration will no longer work, and you will be blocked from accessing the cable modem. You must remove this extra IP address if you are behind a router. The extra IP address trick is only for the situation where the PC is directly connected to the cable modem.
Old 17-02-2004, 14:19   #20
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhw
Since when? Are you sure? Other customers have MRTG working on SACMs, so I don't think SNMP is blocked.
Was a hazy memory or someone mentioning something like that in relation to the uncappers. Something like ntl use SNMP to monitor your bandwidth, and people were playing with the SNMP reporting to give false reading to ntl's monitoring software so as not to get caught. I have probably remembered incorrectly, and the problem with Kitty is the router, as you have now explained
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 14:24   #21
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Quote:
you can monitor the router itself instead (and get separate figures for each member of the family!). You just need a router which supports monitoring by SNMP, or which there are many to choose from.
Let's hope that all the ntl-recommended routers do have this feature, otherwise there are going to be some very angry cutomers
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 14:55   #22
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser
Let's hope that all the ntl-recommended routers do have this feature, otherwise there are going to be some very angry cutomers
The linksys I have can't do that but it can allow the SACM to be monitored if NTL allow us to acces SNMP like blueyonder. We are not wanting to cheat anyone just access and monitor the bandwidth. really we all want the same thing just NTL don't want to allow us the tools to do it. Customers in N TL areas can get this to work its those living like me in EX C&W areas that can't. So NTL sort us out a way to work around the blockage.
Old 17-02-2004, 15:23   #23
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

I think im gonna have to setup NAT routing instead of Windows ICS seen as i cant get my bandwidth monitoring working AND my other computers accessing the internet.
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 15:25   #24
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288
I think im gonna have to setup NAT routing instead of Windows ICS seen as i cant get my bandwidth monitoring working AND my other computers accessing the internet.
ICS uses NAT to route the trafic... Its the same thing.......

Can you not just monitor the packets on the nic. thats connected to the cable modem ?
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 15:35   #25
Florence
Inactive

IPconfig give me this now and pinging the modem is hopeless...
Quote:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

C:\Documents and Settings\>ping 192.168.100.1

Pinging 192.168.100.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.100.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
My router cannot be monitored and linksys has no plans to upgrade the firmware to allow this.. My SACM is blocked by NTL.. I know my router will allow the SACM to be monitored as it is already doing it with a telewest customer. So come on NTL techies find a workround or get the bossess to allow access the SNMP. My best suggestion I have already been told over PM wil not happen and that is N TL cancel the Cap!!!!!! I shall keep my options open but be carefull NTL other services are looking more attractive than you now unless you get your act together sort out the network stop the high bonuses and put it back into the network......
Old 17-02-2004, 15:37   #26
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

No.... The modem via SNMP has accurate reports of upstream, downstream and its ethernet interface.... Plus MRTG Produces nice pretty graphs that i can save and then produce a month by month graphical report on usage....

Yes ICS Uses NAT BUT It doesnt like Robins fix, therefore i quit using ICS and manually configure the system and routing.....

BTW That site looks amateur, not really like something thats NTL produced.. Im not convinced until i see the letter :/
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 15:38   #27
rdhw
Inactive

Quote:
The linksys I have can't do that but it can allow the SACM to be monitored if NTL allow us to acces SNMP like blueyonder.
It's not a question of NTL allowing or denying anything: it's just the way the Ambit 200 works, strictly in accordance with IP standards. If Blueyonder had Ambit 200s, it would be the same there. If you want to correspond with a device in the 192.168.00.xxx sub-net on the same LAN segment as you, then you need an IP address in the same sub-net on which to receive replies. Some brands of cable modem fudge the issue so that users can receive off-subnet replies, but Ambit don't, and they are not obligated to break the standards to achieve this.
Old 17-02-2004, 16:05   #28
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
It's not a question of NTL allowing or denying anything: it's just the way the Ambit 200 works, strictly in accordance with IP standards. If Blueyonder had Ambit 200s, it would be the same there. If you want to correspond with a device in the 192.168.00.xxx sub-net on the same LAN segment as you, then you need an IP address in the same sub-net on which to receive replies. Some brands of cable modem fudge the issue so that users can receive off-subnet replies, but Ambit don't, and they are not obligated to break the standards to achieve this.
Everything I have tried has failed I would be gratefull of you have any ideas.
Old 17-02-2004, 16:14   #29
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
No disrespect to those discussing the problems of monitoring downloads behind a router, but I hink would it be a good idea to set up a separate thread for it?
I agree if I was a mod I would split it out and make a second thread about monitoring the bandwidth..

But they are both linked as if there wasn't the cap then members wouldn't be wanting to monitor the bandwidth....
Old 22-02-2004, 18:35   #30
Comfortably Num
Inactive

Comfortably Num is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Monitoring bandwidth behind a router

Just use this ,http://www.netlimiter.com/ ,instead.
Comfortably Num is offline   Reply With Quote