Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TCP IP issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TCP IP issue

Old 05-05-2006, 13:06   #31
ophelia
Inactive

ophelia is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TCP IP issue

I'm pretty sure if the STB wasn't recieving a signal than the BB wouldn't have worked on the tech's laptop.
but I may be wrong!

Thanks so much everyone for all your help, it's been so frustrating and the downtime is affecting my ability to work from home.
It seems like everything possible has been checked and rechecked, I even called tech support for my PC, which is still under warranty, and they're convinced my PC is fine, NTL are convinced my line is fine, yet I still don't have net access

I really don't want to swtich ISPs, but I'm at the end of my tether.
ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2006, 13:26   #32
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The thing that's most puzzling about this is how the techs manage to make their laptops work with your connection when they come round, yet you have two PCs, neither of which work.

Can you borrow someone else's laptop over the weekend to try?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 13:37   #33
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Can you borrow someone else's laptop over the weekend to try?
See posts 11 & 13.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 13:56   #34
ophelia
Inactive

I've tried the connection on a 3rd and 4th PC since post #13 (well "pc" random parts cobbled together, with duct tape i.e my flatmate's PC and a laptop borrowed from work) neither of which will work, although they will network together fine, and the laptop connects to my work's network fine through ethernet.

It makes NO sense!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 16:08   #35
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

Are you still getting the 169 address?

If NTL changed your STB did you go through the registering your computer with your stb and PID procedure?
Turn off the stb and pc
Turn on the stb then the pc.
The stb broadcasts and you go to a reg page

Its just that when NTL changed my box i'm sure i had to re register my pc to the box..

Just a thought....
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 16:28   #36
ophelia
Inactive

^^ tried that with engineer present... nada
Old 05-05-2006, 16:29   #37
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

Did you check your QOS cos if someones been fiddling they could have knocked it off altogether
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 16:42   #38
ophelia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marge
Did you check your QOS cos if someones been fiddling they could have knocked it off altogether
I just don't understand how it would work on the engineer's laptop if that was the case....

But no harm in checking, I'll do that tonight.
Old 05-05-2006, 21:17   #39
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

what page did the engineer go to out of interest.

Is it possible (however unlikley) he was viewing a cached page on his laptop?

This may explain the fact that he got a page.

I'm stumped now though without actually visiting the machine and set up
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 21:21   #40
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

I reckon it's a MAC filtering thing. They've set all their engineers' PCs to Allow and everything else to block - especially since it was THEM that cut you off.

Not even registering has unblocked it for some reason. Which also explains the multiple "not working" / 169 issue.

I'd ring NTL back and get them to check for blocks on the account.

I can't see how it's a problem your end:
- Hardware's eliminated by using >1 PC
- Software's eliminated by reinstalling Windows

Or with the connection since the engineer's worked...

nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:53   #41
ophelia
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
I reckon it's a MAC filtering thing. They've set all their engineers' PCs to Allow and everything else to block - especially since it was THEM that cut you off.

Not even registering has unblocked it for some reason. Which also explains the multiple "not working" / 169 issue.

I'd ring NTL back and get them to check for blocks on the account.

I can't see how it's a problem your end:
- Hardware's eliminated by using >1 PC
- Software's eliminated by reinstalling Windows

Or with the connection since the engineer's worked...
This is pretty much my conclusion, but I've literally talked to them upwards of 10times, and they deny it's me, I'm really upset with the way they;ve handled the situation.
From the tech support viewpoint, the actual technicians they've sent have always been perfectly pleasant.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:18   #42
ophelia
Inactive

I know I shouldn't double post, but I figured this deserved a *bumb* heh heh :P
Basically,NTL have finally caved in and admitted it's something they've done. When I moved house, ( 2 years ago) they didn't move my broadband over to my new address (they managed to move my phone service and tv fine though)and it was only a stroke of luck that the broadband worked at my new address, (albeit unstable) when they disconnected me, every time they reconnected my broadband they were connecting it at my previous address.
I've yet to have an apology or any recompense for the 2 weeks of downtime, the new NIC purchased, reformatting my harddrive,2 days off work to wait for engineers that never fixed anything etc etc etc.
I'm so unhappy with NTL, hopefully my broadband will be back on tonight, but even so, I will still switch ISPs on Monday.
Thanks everyone for your help :/ Even if it was an NTL fault all along.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:50   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It's so frustrating you could cry ... but your perseverance deserves a round of applause.

Well done, Ophelia, for forcing them to face up to their cock-up. And NTL ... SHAME ON YOU.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:54   #44
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

And do the ntl Bullpoo strikes again....

How do these people sleep at night...?

What a sham.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:25   #45
ophelia
Inactive

I just can't believe it, how rude and arrogant tech support have been with me, and how little they've listened when all along I've been saying it must be something to do with them :/
Anyone got a complaint address? :P