Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TCP IP issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TCP IP issue

Old 02-05-2006, 13:45   #1
ophelia
Inactive

ophelia is an unknown quantity at this point
TCP IP issue

I'm having a major issue with my 2mb NTL broadband (connected through samsung set top box) basically, I was disconnected (wrongly NTL ) from my services and when I was reconnected everything came up aside from the broadband, after several calls to customer service, I was eventually put through to tech support, who advised me to reset my TCP/IP, winsock, etc.
When this still failed to resolve my issues, an engineer was sent out, who plugged my ethernet cable straight into his laptop and low and behold the broadband worked perfectly, this was despite me trying it on both my PCs, which have both previously had no issues with the broadband.
After calling tech Support again, I was advised to "take computer to computer shop and reinstall TCP/IP"
However TCP/IP is a core component of Windows XP and I can't do that, resetting the registry using the netshell command has not solved my issue, I'm still getting "limited or no connectivity" on both my PCs.
It's driving me mad! Can someone please suggest a solution?

Thanks!
ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2006, 13:53   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: TCP IP issue

It would (however strangely) appear that the problem somehow lies with your PC(s).

Are you running a firewall that may need amending due to IP address changes when your service was reinstated?

to the site.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 14:09   #3
ophelia
Inactive

It just seems fishy it was both my pcs, independantly when 1 wasn't even turned on, and if it was corruption in the tcp/ip stack, then why didn't the reset work?
Also both my pcs?
I have a sneaky suspicion it was loading from teh tech guy's cache :P heh heh
Does anyone know any other issues that could be causing this, my firewall is disabled, as is my AV, I checked my hosts file and ran a hijack this log, my system is clean :/
Old 02-05-2006, 14:13   #4
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

When you say your BB doesn't work, are you getting an IP address of any sorts? If so, what range is it in?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 14:17   #5
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

What IP address are you getting?
Old 02-05-2006, 14:19   #6
ophelia
Inactive

192.xxx.xxx.xxx which I think is a Modem issue. The DHCP server is not leasing an IP adress out to the modem to pass to the PC. I've tried shutting off the PC, shutting down the modem, reconnecting the coax and rebooting all the equipment and it goes back to 169.
Old 02-05-2006, 14:37   #7
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia
192.xxx.xxx.xxx which I think is a Modem issue. The DHCP server is not leasing an IP adress out to the modem to pass to the PC. I've tried shutting off the PC, shutting down the modem, reconnecting the coax and rebooting all the equipment and it goes back to 169.
A 192 address is an internal one (normally given out by a router for example)

Do you have a router?

Is the network card set to DHCP or manual static IP address?
Old 02-05-2006, 14:44   #8
ophelia
Inactive

I don't have a router, and it's set to DHCP.
Old 02-05-2006, 15:02   #9
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
I don't have a router, and it's set to DHCP.
Are you sure it's a 192 address & not a 169?
Old 02-05-2006, 15:17   #10
ophelia
Inactive

Well I'm at work, and my flatmate read it out over the phone, I just got her to recheck and she says it's now 169, apologies, it could have been me mishearing, or just writing it down wrong :/ or whatever.
I do apologise again
Old 02-05-2006, 15:27   #11
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Well I'm at work, and my flatmate read it out over the phone, I just got her to recheck and she says it's now 169, apologies, it could have been me mishearing, or just writing it down wrong :/ or whatever.
I do apologise again
No need to apologise, at least we have a better idea of your issue.

169 means that for whatever reason, your PC is not getting an IP address.

Have you tried powering everything off, then powering it back on in the following order:

1) Modem-until lights lock on.

2) PC.

Alternatively, do you know anyone with a laptop that could pop round & plug in?
Old 02-05-2006, 15:33   #12
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

It could be a dodgy ethernet cable.

Can you get your hands on another one?

when the engineer tried it he could have moved the cable so it connected.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 15:37   #13
ophelia
Inactive

1. I obtained a new ethernet cable from the NTL technician and swapped it in...still same problem.
2. I have tried powering off in teh order suggested, still same issue, I end up back at "limited or no connectivity"
3. I don't have anyone with a laptop that they could pop around I'm afraid
(although tempted to blow rent money on buying one, but then would be homeless! :P)
Old 02-05-2006, 15:51   #14
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

this may help you

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20966809.html
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 15:57   #15
ophelia
Inactive

[quote=grandmaster]this may help you

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20966809.html[/quote]

I can't view that I'm afraid