Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

Old 14-09-2005, 00:40   #46
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough
Re: Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

Damn..now the installation CD won't work...how unlucky am i lol? But it seems to run fine on laptop so i guess it justs that my cd drive is too dusty...

I could have set up everything in 5 minutes yeah....i've understand everything now, but the problem is that my modem and my pc is just not suited for the wireless router.

I still have a tiny bit of hope left but i doubt it, it will just be another useless attempt.
verticalforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2005, 08:15   #47
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Righto I'm up

Setting off for work, if you get a tick can you take a photo of the back of your pc and also what bits you've got to work with and we'll take it from there.

(brought a ethernet cable with me just in case you need one posting as well. Its even a ntl one)
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 10:22   #48
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Right reading through this with unsleepy eyes i can see a way forward for you.

1. Unplug the ethernet cable.

2. Unplug the usb cable to the modem if attached and walk to the back door and throw it out (lets not be using it)

3. unplug the power from your cable modem.

4. Press in the little reset button on the router and hold in for 10 secs.

5. After allowing the router to reset plug the ethernet cable from the router (not the WAN port) to the pc (there will be only one rg45) (as in pic)

6. go to http://192.168.2.1 select cable or dsl modem, leave the host name and mac blank and hit finish. Got to the wireless tab on the menu and then to channel and SSID. In the network name filed type in a name that identifies it to you (ie. bobs wireless), make sure enable SSID broadcast is set for now as well.

7. Unplug the ethernet cable from the pc and router.

8. Plug the ethernet cable into the WAN port on the router and then into the ethernet port on the ntl modem then re attach the power to the ntl modem (see pic)

9. Go to the laptop and make sure that wireless is on.

10. Press start go to my network places and from the left hand side select 'view network connections'

11. As per the picture below select ' view available wireless networks'

12. Look for one with the same name as yours and double click it.

13. You should now be connected.

14. If you need to connect a pb via a wire then you'll need a ethernet cable from the router to the PC.

15. Any questions then please feel free to pm or post here.

Mark
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 16:55   #49
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough

Your information is very helpful handyman, i even call my more tech-savvy friend, and he suggested me to install desktop network pci card and after he tweaked a little bit with my usb modem, my wireless is now working!!! Hooray!!!

Not for my laptop though, it works but i don't think my old laptop can handle such pressure since it's getting to 100% cpu usage all the time. At least i can use wireless for gaming eh?

Also, should i put password on wap/wep? WAP password is too long and i don't think my gaming device supported it, so could i just put password on wep? There's an option where you can just type what I want and it will generated key for me. Should i choose that? I don't want to remember like 46 digits of passwords.

Anyway, i'm very chuffed right now. Sorry guys for my extreme noobiness.
Old 14-09-2005, 19:02   #50
verticalforce
Inactive

UPDATE: i choose WAP pre-shared-passphrase. Is this alright?
Old 14-09-2005, 22:11   #51
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

yeah thats an alright encryption...I have seen it with some routers that it makes the wireless a little bit unstable as in dropping speed and tiny things like that but its generally the best protection but I dont think your gaming stuff likes WPA-PSK....might still have to go for WEP 128 Bits tho.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 22:20   #52
verticalforce
Inactive

Yep, i only have 1mb NTL BB, and you are right, the encryption seems to make my wireless speed vary a lot lol. But it doesn't matter as long as my connection is safe. My router already blocked like 20 access based on my security log. 0_o
Old 15-09-2005, 09:41   #53
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Vertical, you always see things in your security log and you can "ignore" things coming from ip's in the following ranges 10.*.*.*, 172.16.*.* and 192.*.*.* those from the 10 most likely come from your modem. the others are just normal things like people portscanning you so keep the firewall on the router and also have a nice firewall on your pc to be safe.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote