Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

Old 13-09-2005, 23:08   #31
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
Re: Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

open up th eproperties for the network adapter, and select repair.

I have to do this everytime I boot the stoopid laptop up with its wireless card.
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2005, 23:14   #32
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalforce
Its brand new, i bought it from ebay though, have registered the model no on te web and everything.
OK, so it should be basically working...

Quote:
The model number is 5462 or something like that....i think...
Need to be a bit more precise...

Quote:
anyone know if i am not able to configure the setting, can i still connect the wireless modem to my Nintendo DS or PSP online capabilities, or can't i, since you have to tweaked the setting and all that...
Until this thing is properly setup and connecting to the Internet, then you can't expect anything else to work 'online'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
open up th eproperties for the network adapter, and select repair.

I have to do this everytime I boot the stoopid laptop up with its wireless card.
That won't help - it's the wireless router config that's not correct - the laptop->router connection is OK.

Sorry, but I'm off to bed now.

Try the factory reset as described earlier.
Reset the cable modem.
Go through the config as described - i.e. first option and try to avoid changing any fields you're not sure of or selecting any options you're not sure of.

The first thing is to get the router to connect to the cable modem and establish a connection to the Internet. THEN we can start looking at tweaking any other settings.

Good luck.
Old 13-09-2005, 23:14   #33
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
OK, so it should be basically working...

Need to be a bit more precise...

Until this thing is properly setup and connecting to the Internet, then you can't expect anything else to work 'online'.

That won't help - it's the wireless router config that's not correct - the laptop->router connection is OK.
I can connect to the router when it plays up, but not any other pc on the network or the internet, Card software says its connected, windows says it isnt.
Old 13-09-2005, 23:16   #34
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewarrior2001
I can connect to the router when it plays up, but not any other pc on the network or the internet, Card software says its connected, windows says it isnt.
OK - the solution you offered may work for THAT specific problem, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue here.

And now I'm really going to bed!
Old 13-09-2005, 23:34   #35
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough

Just reread the manual again and it says i actually need to connect my modem ethernet cable to the router and the router cable to the PC. Spo, basically i'm screwed. Totally. NTL use USB for the internet connection although there is an ethernet port.

Damn it. There goes 50 quids.
verticalforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 23:50   #36
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Just reread the manual again and it says i actually need to connect my modem ethernet cable to the router and the router cable to the PC. Spo, basically i'm screwed. Totally. NTL use USB for the internet connection although there is an ethernet port.

Damn it. There goes 50 quids.
Right calm down

Ntl do not use only usb for internet connection they offer both usb and ethernet.

In your case you want to use the ethernet connection from the modem to the router then try connecting via ethernet to the pc until you get things set up.

Set it up for cable modem but there really should not be any thing you need to change, most routers will work right out of the box.

If you bought it from a main retailer (pc world, argos) etcx then you could return it I guess and go for a belkin or linksys router then at least more people will be able to help.
I use linksys my self st the moment but have used belkin also. Both where set-up in under a minute on ntl and dsl.

Is this the beast in question.

I'll help you get this set-up just keep hitting f5 in this thread and take your time :-)
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 23:53   #37
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough

Yes, that is the router....

I dont think this router will work, it needs two ether socket on a modem and ntl only have one ethernet and one usb...
Old 14-09-2005, 00:02   #38
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

1st step turn off cable modem by unplugging power, turn off router.

2nd step make sure your cable modem is connected via a ethernet lead to the WAN port on the router.

3rd step turn on the cable modem and leave for 1 min.

4th step turn on the router.

5th step disable any firewalls on your pc.

6th step reboot your pc.

7th step connect your pc to the router with ethernet cable.

8th step open internet explorer and go to http://192.168.2.1

9th select cable or dsl modem, leave host name and mac empty and press finish.

10th step . all done. hopefully , rep me

This router will work and is correct for use on ntls network I have just read the manual for it

for anyone following the pdf of the userguide for his router is here
Old 14-09-2005, 00:06   #39
verticalforce
Inactive

How can i connect the router with the modem and pc at the same time? They only supply one ethernet cable....and does pc have ethernet socket lol? I'm not too good at this...

What did you meant reboot? Restart?

I've already pack things away since i gave up, but i guess i give it one more try.
Old 14-09-2005, 00:12   #40
handyman
Permanently Banned

you should have got a ethernet cable with the router as well, this is the source of your problems. ethernet cable is like 50p if you want i'll post u one 4 free. easy peasy after that.

If you have any issues givin out your address then i'm sure a mod or admin will vouch for me :-)

Failing that buy one at any computer retailer.

did you get a blue ethernet cable with your ntl cable modem?
Old 14-09-2005, 00:14   #41
verticalforce
Inactive

I got one ethernet cable for the connection of modem to router. But my NTL modem is connected to my PC with USB. And i just checked my PC, it doesn't seems to have any RJ 45 conector.

I feel like screaming for buying this router lol. I dont really wat to use it for laptop, so screw the USB wireless adapter lol, i guess i can steal my neighbour's bandwith when online service for Nintendo DS comes out...if this doesn't work.......

No, no blue ethernet cable..mine is the old silver box....it just says ntl:home at the top.....
Old 14-09-2005, 00:18   #42
handyman
Permanently Banned

any pc bought within the last 3 years at least should have a ethernet port on it.Worst comes to worst there are otherways to set this up but even if you have to buy a ethernet card for your pc and a ethernet cable your only a fiver away from the best possible way of setting it up.

Dont belive the ntl tosh, dont go usb its not very good at all.

hm

Then your brown cardboard box still has a ethernet cable in it, the first ones where beige. newer ones a light blue.

And trust me, once you've been able to surf on a laptop whilst i the garden/loo etc you'll not go back. Wireless and a laptop makes broadband IMHO
Old 14-09-2005, 00:18   #43
verticalforce
Inactive

sure....but that's the one ntl gave me lol, i can't just ask them to replace modem.

This sucks lol.... anyone wanna buy my 1 day old router?.... lol...
Old 14-09-2005, 00:25   #44
handyman
Permanently Banned

you get 2x cables with ntl 120,200 modems.

I'll have to go sleep now but well start this tommorow again.

Have no fear this will work no problem

hm
Old 14-09-2005, 00:28   #45
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

As HM says, don't give up, I'm a thick girlie type and managed to get my network working
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote