Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

Old 13-09-2005, 21:26   #16
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough
Re: Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

But i have to enter it! My router is dumb! It's american.

Ok take a peek at my hostname and tell me if its right. I got it from a website of ip to host name conversion.

renf-cache-1.server.ntli.net

Btw, for the ip address, do i type the proxy that ntl use or my real ip address. thx.
verticalforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2005, 21:29   #17
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalforce
But i have to enter it! My router is dumb! It's american.

Ok take a peek at my hostname and tell me if its right. I got it from a website of ip to host name conversion.

renf-cache-1.server.ntli.net

Btw, for the ip address, do i type the proxy that ntl use or my real ip address. thx.
Nope that's NOT your host name.

The IP address should supplied automatically - i.e. your external IP address (effectively the IP address of the router on the NTL network) - not something you should set.

Sounds to me like you've selected the fixed IP address option, in which case your ISP would have supplied hostname/IP to you.

Go back to the initial setup and pick the dynamic IP option.
Old 13-09-2005, 21:33   #18
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

I love a trier not being disrespectfull we all start somewhere.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 21:34   #19
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
I love a trier not being disrespectfull we all start somewhere.
True. But I'm sure that reading the instructions (either in the manual or on-screen) would make the process less painful.
Old 13-09-2005, 21:36   #20
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough

damn, that was the only option that makes sense and i still need to type in host-name, tried it and it says not successful...

there's only 5 options..

Cable modem or xDSL

fixed IP xDSL

PPoE xDSL

PPTP

BigPond

Damn..i'm screwed....where can i find hostname?...
Old 13-09-2005, 22:08   #21
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
damn, that was the only option that makes sense and i still need to type in host-name, tried it and it says not successful...

there's only 5 options..

Cable modem or xDSL

fixed IP xDSL

PPoE xDSL

PPTP

BigPond

Damn..i'm screwed....where can i find hostname?...
Did you try the first option? (BTW - can we assume you are an NTL cable customer?)

Because the 'default' with cable should be that you're using dynamic IP - no hostname (you can't find one because the ISP hasn't given you one!)
Old 13-09-2005, 22:08   #22
verticalforce
Inactive

Also at the status page it says my cable/dsl is disconected, wth?
Old 13-09-2005, 22:09   #23
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
Also at the status page it says my cable/dsl is disconected, wth?
Not surprising if it's not yet configured...
Old 13-09-2005, 22:17   #24
verticalforce
Inactive

i've tried the first option, it says host name are optional, already filled the mac-address for me, click finish and boom, it says unsuccessful. What has i done wrong? ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.:mad :
Old 13-09-2005, 22:20   #25
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
i've tried the first option, it says host name are optional, already filled the mac-address for me,
OK - that's all GOOD!

Quote:
click finish and boom, it says unsuccessful. What has i done wrong? ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.:mad :
There's likely to be other things that need configuring?

Is the 'finish' option on that first setup page? Or are there other setup pages?
Old 13-09-2005, 22:22   #26
verticalforce
Inactive

I've paid 50 quid for this thing, should i dumped it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
OK - that's all GOOD!

There's likely to be other things that need configuring?

Is the 'finish' option on that first setup page? Or are there other setup pages?
After the setup there's another one where you have to fill ip address but you cant acsess that until you completed the second setup.
Old 13-09-2005, 22:24   #27
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
I've paid 50 quid for this thing, should i dumped it?
I can't tell you that.

Was it new? second-hand? Because if it wasn't new, then maybe it was broken anyway...

BTW - does the interface offer an option to reset to factory defaults? (might be under a heading 'utilities' or something like that.

Quote:
After the setup there's another one where you have to fill ip address but you cant acsess that until you completed the second setup.
I'm guessing that might be the DNS setup...

If it is, ignore it and move on.

Out of interest, what model is it?
Old 13-09-2005, 22:40   #28
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

okay just browsing through this whole story.

advice connect your router to the modem, switch NTL modem off for say 1 minute, then switch it on again and normally after that you should have internet through your router, otherwise at the back of your US robotics router is a little hole that you can press with something thin like a paper clip and hold it for roughly 10 seconds (you should see all the lights on the router flash like a x-mas tree...)

then try again to switch off your modem and connect the router to it.

if you dont get a connection then try calling the US robotics helpdesk as NTL wont really help you with routers.

hope this works.

ps..... why do I always have calls like this at work not alot of info, and the whole shabang
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 22:47   #29
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
ps..... why do I always have calls like this at work not alot of info, and the whole shabang
Probably because it reflects the experience of so many 'everyday' users. They market this stuff as if it's all plug and play, even though it often isn't. And when it isn't, then the options offered are just bewildering.

BTW - if the router isn't new I'm not sure how helpful USR will be - particularly if it's faulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levig
...otherwise at the back of your US robotics router is a little hole that you can press with something thin like a paper clip...
Hope you've got the model figured, otherwise that might not work. lol.

(Or do ALL their products have this feature?)
Old 13-09-2005, 23:04   #30
verticalforce
Inactive

Its brand new, i bought it from ebay though, have registered the model no on te web and everything.

The model number is 5462 or something like that....i think....i'm too exhausted to even type after 2 hours of constant trying. The only reason i bought this curse thing is because like you said, they make it soUnds so easy. Hell, the picture at the setup page has a child playing computer, surely it will be THAT easy, right? NOT.

my model is the one with usb wireless adapter. anyone know if i am not able to configure the setting, can i still connect the wireless modem to my Nintendo DS or PSP online capabilities, or can't i, since you have to tweaked the setting and all that...