Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC world muppets!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC world muppets!

Old 09-05-2007, 16:15   #1
Mic-Roch
Inactive

Mic-Roch is an unknown quantity at this point
PC world muppets!

Having had my housemate looking for a Router for our CABLE VIRGIN BB, he had gone to the supposedly resputable store that is PC WORLD.

He had gone in to purchase the much recommended WRT54GC from linksys.
Upon picking up the rquired router, a PC-W rep had told my house mate that it was no good for his needs.
Then they recommended... This is the funny part...

Linksys Wireless-G "ADSL GATEWAY" with speedbooster.
Now he has brought this home and the first thing I noticed was the huge ADSL sign on the box.
Then looking at the minimum requirements it clearly states an active ADSL line is needed.
My friend isnt the most addept at PC accessories so he took the "qualified recommendation" from this rep!

What a shame... Has anyone else had such a complete shambles curtesy of the professionals????
Mic-Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2007, 16:29   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: PC world muppets!

This isn't the first time (sadly) that I have heard of PC world people saying this, and, TBH, I find it shockingly bad that their training appears to be lacking in this area.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 16:34   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Can't say I'm surprised to hear this. I can't help but feel that the implication that *all* PC World staff are 'muppets' is a little unfair - admittedly this particular member of staff probably *is*, but that doesn't mean that they all are.

Suggest your friend simply return it to PC World, get a refund (it isn't suitable for the specified need that he made the sales person aware of at the point of purchase), and take your money somewhere else.

They shouldn't refuse your friend a refund provided that he states his case firmly, and sticks to the facts.

Once you've got the refund in your hands, write a nice letter to PC World's head office and explain calmly and factualy what happened and that it resulted in you getting a full refund.

Now take your money somewhere else. Arguably, since you know exactly what you want, you will probably find that you get a better deal shopping online.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 17:25   #4
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic-Roch View Post
What a shame... Has anyone else had such a complete shambles curtesy of the professionals????

I've heard them called a lot of things but professionals never popped up there are some good people at PC World but they generally leave to a more technical job or get promoted to management and whisked away.
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 17:27   #5
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Surely the difference between ADSL and cable is idiots stuff?? Even i know that!

(not aimed at your friend btw, more at the plonker who sold him the modem )
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 17:28   #6
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernetic_tiger View Post
I've heard them called a lot of things but professionals never popped up there are some good people at PC World but they generally leave to a more technical job or get promoted to management and whisked away.
The ones who know what they're talking about are probably not allowed to be as helpful as they want to be. Just guessing lol.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 17:41   #7
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I can give you several reasons not to shop at PC World again and the main ones are:

1) The products are over priced.

2) A lot of staff (not all, but a lot of) do not know what they are talking about and will sell you the products they need to sell or promote.

Check out Ebuyer, Amazon, etc for cheaper prices and customer reviews.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:10   #8
AntiSilence
Inactive

AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Check out Ebuyer, Amazon, etc for cheaper prices and customer reviews.
Good reasons, but sometimes you may need to get a part quickly. Ebuyer et al are good for price, but waiting for delivery is not an option.

I've raced round to the local PC World to get a part that suddenly died. Not the best price wise, but for being there it was useful.
Old 09-05-2007, 18:17   #9
zing_deleted

Plus charge him double for not listening to you in the first place
Old 09-05-2007, 18:25   #10
Jurasik
Inactive

Jurasik is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 stories about pc world.
1. A Friend of mine went there to get an all in one printer. He was sold a canon ( I cannot remember the model ). He used compatible ink cartridges ( I advised him not to, as they were more prone to clogging). Needless to say, after a while it clogged. So he took it back (6 months old, still under warranty) to get a replacement. He was asked if he had used compatibles, instead of the proper catridges. He told them he had. He was then promptly told that the use of compatibles was ILLEGAL & so was selling them. This was by the technician bloke, not the numpty sales staff. He came away with a printer that was in warranty but could not use. They just said to contact canon direct to arrange a warranty repair. When he did, the cost was more that the printer was worth. He bought a different printer, but still uses compatibles, not the proper cartridges.
2. I was also in the market for a printer. I did a lot of research online, in order to get the best mix of printer/cartridges cost balance. Once I had decided on the model, I went into PC world (I didn't buy online then) to get my shiny new printer. I did a bit of browsing whilst I was there & then headed to the printer area. I hovered over the different printers for literrally a minute, then, just as I was about to pick up the box, a salesman did the "can I help you sir?" bit. Being the polite person, I engaged the salesman in conversation, saying that I had looked at the different types & had selected this one. He agreed that it was a good buy & said to mention his name at the checkout. I didn't though, as I felt this was cheeky to give him the commission for a sale that he didn't make.

The morale of these stories are that PC world are a bunch of box shifters that couldn't give a rats **** to the customer, once you are out of the door.
Jurasik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:43   #11
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I can't believe some of their prices !
The fact that I see a 2 metre ethernet cable for £14.99 is just a complete rip off.
I pay £1.16 for the same thing. !

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 18:57   #12
nicke261192
Inactive

Services: 1 V+ Box, 1 V Box, XL TV, L Broadband, L Phone, Sony Erricson C902 Vodafone Contract
nicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond reputenicke261192 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to nicke261192

This happened to my mums friend lol
nicke261192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:41   #13
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Yeah I do agree that they can be a right bunch of muppets sometimes. In my local PC World, all of the Routers/Firewalls/Gateways are sorted into ADSL/Non-ADSL and badged obviously
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:51   #14
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I can give you several reasons not to shop at PC World again and the main ones are:

1) The products are over priced.
99.9% of the time i'd agree with you...but i bought a new webcam from pc world a few weeks ago, as it was over a tenner cheaper than amazon/aria/micro direct/ocuk! What's more, ordered it online and they had it sat on the counter at the store, waiting for me

This is probably the only known case of non-muppetry there, ever, but there you go
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:55   #15
AntiSilence
Inactive

Quote:
I can't believe some of their prices !
The fact that I see a 2 metre ethernet cable for £14.99 is just a complete rip off.
I pay £1.16 for the same thing. !
Yes, a cable at that price I would never buy from them. But it's things like PSU's and HDD's that I'd pay a bit extra for to get one quickly.

And I have noticed that sometimes (very occasionally) they seem to put out some item that is cheaper than everywhere else and is a bargain. But only occaisionally lol.