Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Old 21-04-2007, 09:38   #1
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all
Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Quite often if I am downloading a lot of my stuff and maxing out my bandwidth on my PC, then I'll jump on my laptop and connect to my neighbours unprotected wireless router for a bit of web browsing.

Am I simply despicable and should hang my head in shame(with possible self-flogging) or am I just being a little bit sneaky and should actually pat myself on the back for showing great initiative?

I've been wrestling with this moral dilemma for quite some time. After all, the neighbour is a nice lady and probably deserves better, although her son clearly knows nothing about router security.
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2007, 09:50   #2
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age
Re: Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

go for it action!! if theyre dumb enough not to password protect their router they dont deserve the cherished bandwith,dip your bread and more power to your elbow sir
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:04   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Go for it. If the neighbour is so "nice" why are you helping yourself to her bandwidth? Surely helping her secure her network would be a better idea? Especially since you may find she doesn't mind you browsing the internet on her bandwidth as long as you help her keep her network secure.
Also controlling what you download and when would be a better option
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:10   #4
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Go for it. If the neighbour is so "nice" why are you helping yourself to her bandwidth? Surely helping her secure her network would be a better idea? Especially since you may find she doesn't mind you browsing the internet on her bandwidth as long as you help her keep her network secure.
Also controlling what you download and when would be a better option

You're probably right, but don't blame me, blame Thatcher. She destroyed community spirit.

Actually, she's not bad looking for a woman in her late 40's(the neighbour I mean, not Thatcher, who is 145), so I'll have a think about your idea.
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:32   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

It's a bit like saying 'I'll help myself to my neighbour's stereo as they're stupid enough to not lock their back door' isn't it? Then again, she's unlikely to miss the 'stolen' bandwidth.
Old 21-04-2007, 10:37   #6
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Surely the kid should know though, how old is he?

Also bear in mind unauthorised access to wifi is illegal... Some people in Redditch were prosecuted the other week for it - Paul's link.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 10:57   #7
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

Rockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud of

Would YOU like someone hijacking your TV connection and getting all your cable channels without your knowledge or paying you for it? You're gonna be ****ed off right?
Whoever owns the wifi network pays for it and unless you have an agreement with them, its defo wrong.

You're not borrowing bandwidth, you're stealing it cos once its gone its gone, tho there IS always more!

At the shop I work for we've been told that legally if someone admits they are buying a wireless adapter or laptop to knowingly access a wifi connection without permission, we should deny them a sale.
As we could be implicated "I told the guy in the PC shop what I was gonna do and he didnt tell me it was against the law" etc.
Rockabilly Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 11:04   #8
smucks
Inactive

smucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to allsmucks is a name known to all

Go for it, I was using one here that was not pretected and when I went across to have a word and put them right I was told to "**SS OFF your a hacker".
We have not spoke since and yes its still open, you can only help some of the folk some of the time.
smucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 11:44   #9
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

so if your neighbour broadcasts radio signals into your property ,why shouldn't you use them'he/she didn't seek your permision to fill your airspace with there radio waves..... pluss if its not encrypted shurly there not that bothered
Old 21-04-2007, 11:53   #10
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

Rockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud ofRockabilly Spike has much to be proud of

Did ANYONE seek the publics permission to fill the airspace with radio waves?
No one owns the airspace above my head do they?
So why can't I hear the music I wanna hear?

Its them voices again.....
Old 21-04-2007, 12:15   #11
kryogenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly Spike View Post

At the shop I work for we've been told that legally if someone admits they are buying a wireless adapter or laptop to knowingly access a wifi connection without permission we should deny them a sale.
As we could be implicated
lol.
And has that ever happened to you? Seriously?
Old 21-04-2007, 13:09   #12
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

Once sorta almost.

A girl asked me for a USB extension cable, at least 5 meters, preferably with a repeater on.
I asked just out of nosey-ness what she needed it for and she told me it was to dangle the USB wifi adapter out of her bedroom window to pickup next doors signal, I said she should watch what she's doing cos I was sure it was against the law but I sold her it anyways, then my employer asked some legal advice from a local law firm that we deal with, maintaining their network.

Sine then...nowt!
ha.

in retail ya gotta watch ya words cos ya never know who's a mystery shopper or from trading standards etc.
There was a pair of 14 year olds that were commissioned by our local Boys in Blue to go round asking if shops would sell them knives.
Old 21-04-2007, 13:19   #13
kryogenik

Knives and Wi-Fi hardware.
Bit different!

I can imagine someone getting a rollocking for selling a knife to someone if they went on to use it in a crime, but not a laptop or a wireless network adaptor!
lmao.
Old 21-04-2007, 13:26   #14
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogenik View Post
Knives and Wi-Fi hardware.
Bit different!

I can imagine someone getting a rollocking for selling a knife to someone if they went on to use it in a crime, but not a laptop or a wireless network adaptor!
lmao.
Yeah, but one of those HP blade servers...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 13:27   #15
Rockabilly Spike
Inactive

indeed but thats what the 'official' legal advice to us was.

Most people arent daft enough to admit what they're doing