Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help please

Old 06-03-2005, 19:02   #31
kash
Inactive

kash is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help please

iv got two wireless networks, 1 and 2. 2 is called netgear and is the name of my wireless modem. This has no preferred networks
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2005, 19:10   #32
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

What's the first one called?

What happens when you try to connect to either?

Do you get the same error message with both?

It's possible that you are picking up somebody else's network (although I doubt it).

It might be worth deleting them both from the list and then getting your adaptor to do another search by telling it to refresh.

It almost sounds like Windows has tried to set the same network up twice.

This is going to sound like a dumb question (and I apologise in advance for asking it) but you haven't still got the router connected to your laptop via a cable have you?
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 19:16   #33
kash
Inactive

no i never connected the router to the laptop with a wire.

Basically, a baloon appears in my task manager saying there are one or more wireless networks available. then i select show available wireless networks. Onme appears with the same name as my router's ssid number. I try to connect and it says the network may no longer be available and to refresh. I do this and its still there with full signal strength. However there are no preferred networks in its properties. Oh and the icon in the task manager has a red X on it.
Old 06-03-2005, 19:19   #34
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Just re-read some of the posts from earlier.

You said that your laptop had a wireless card built in and then you talked about a USB wireless dongle.

You probably shouldn't be trying to use both. It's possible that one could be detecting the other and that would definatley be confusing the issue. I would suggest that you uninstall the USB dongle and see if that helps matters
Old 06-03-2005, 19:19   #35
kash
Inactive

iv not actually used the card though.
Old 06-03-2005, 19:25   #36
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
no i never connected the router to the laptop with a wire.

Basically, a baloon appears in my task manager saying there are one or more wireless networks available. then i select show available wireless networks. Onme appears with the same name as my router's ssid number. I try to connect and it says the network may no longer be available and to refresh. I do this and its still there with full signal strength. However there are no preferred networks in its properties. Oh and the icon in the task manager has a red X on it.
Ok, I don't think there will be a preferred network showing unless you have actually managed to connect to one.

When you set the router up what security features did you enable?

Quote:
iv not actually used the card though.
When you say "card" I assume you mean that you are only trying to use the USB Dongle at the moment?

If that's the case then you might find you have better luck with the Laptop's built in wirless card. It could be something to do with the USB drivers for the dongle that you are using.

I've gotta dissapear for a little while.

Have a think about what settings you applied when you set the router up, if neccessary plug the laptop into the router via a cable and access the router's control panel and see what is set up in there.

If there are any options to limit the MAC addresses that can access the router (usually called MAC address filtering) then disable them.

I would also disable the WEP encryption and make sure that you have the SSID broadcast on.

I know this leaves it slightly insecure but we need to be able to get you connected first, we can worry about the security later. No good it being so secure that you can't actually get to it.

Make sure that you change the router's admin password while you are in there. This will stop anybody else from being able to change your settings until we get the other stuff sorted.
Old 06-03-2005, 19:27   #37
kash
Inactive

I havent set any security features, that I know of.

By card I mean the 5 in 1 card reader that i slide in teh side of my laptop. if im totally confusing you here, its probably my fault
I have been using the dongle that came with the router, but if you think the card may work better, i can try that.
Old 06-03-2005, 19:31   #38
Raistlin
Inactive

I'll drop back in when I can and we can see what else we can try. I'm starting to think that it might be worth doing a complete reset on the router, making sure that your PC is connected ok, uninstalling the USB dongle and trying again from scratch. Hopefully it won't come to that

If you were next door I'd pop round and take a look for you, still this new fangled internet thing would appear to have it's uses after all

Be back soon.

Quote:
I havent set any security features, that I know of.

By card I mean the 5 in 1 card reader that i slide in teh side of my laptop. if im totally confusing you here, its probably my fault
I have been using the dongle that came with the router, but if you think the card may work better, i can try that.
No, no.

You said earlier:

Quote:
Just checked the spec of my laptop and i have -"Gigabit LAN / 802.11g Wireless LAN ". Is this sufficicent or will I need anything else.
That sounded like you had wireless built in to the laptop. Then after that you talked about:

Quote:
ok, how do I get the dongle that I I put in my laptop's usb to pick up the signal from the wireless router. Iv installed the router's/donge's driver. It detects it.
Which, to me, sounded like you had installed a USB device into your machine that also had wireless capabilities. In theory, it shouldn't be neccessary to use both. If your laptop has wirless built in then this would be the best option.
Old 06-03-2005, 19:53   #39
kash
Inactive

Yeah you are right, I took the dongle out and the wireless lan card detected the network, but I still couldnt connect. Il try and have a little play around.

I connected the laptop through a cable to the router. A baloon came up telling me there is limited or no connectivity. It says I may not be able to access the internet or some network resources. It says the problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the laptop.

It then gave an option to restart connection and establish full conectivity->repair. It then tried to renew my ip address, but couldnt and then tells me to contact the person who manages my network
Old 06-03-2005, 20:05   #40
Raistlin
Inactive

Sounds like 1 of 2 or 3 things going wrong:

1) There is some sort of MAC filter in place on the router, preventing your wireless device from connecting to it.

2) Your router has a WEP key set up that your Laptop's wireless card doesn't have. This means that your Laptop won't be able to communicate with the router.

3) There is some sort of problem with the signal from the router, possibly being caused by interference from another wireless source (cordless phones, microwaves etc are the usual suspects).

Ignore that last post.

Had different ideas. Stand by.

Definately sounds like either a problem with the settings within the router control panel or a problem with interference.

Is there an option within the router control panel to change the connection frequency? It might be referred to as a connection band?
If there is, change the frequency so that it is as far away as possible from the default setting.

Now reboot the laptop and try connecting.

If that hasn't worked, go back into the router's control panel and see what options are there for specifying IP addresses etc.

There's probably an option there for something called DHCP server, this should be enabled (or switched on).

See how you get on with those.

What's the model number / name of your router? Who's the manufacturer? I'll see if I can find a manual online, that will help me to know what settings it has.
Old 06-03-2005, 20:12   #41
kash
Inactive

its a netgear mr814v2tw

http://www.netgear.com.au/products/p...asp?prodID=151

it also says blueyonder broadband on it.

How do i get to the control panel for the router, do you mean the properties of the connection?
Old 06-03-2005, 20:24   #42
Raistlin
Inactive

No, the actual router control panel.

Open your internet browser (in a different window to this one) and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and hit go.

User = admin
Password = password

Both lowercase

I'm wandering if this might be easier through the chat room, it would allow us to talk in real-time so you can give me feedback on exactly what's happening, might also be a bit quicker as well.
Old 06-03-2005, 20:26   #43
kash
Inactive

Tried that and i got a message saying this page cannot be displayed

yea cool, that would be easier, il just go on now
Old 06-03-2005, 20:26   #44
Raistlin
Inactive

Hmmmm.

Try it from a PC that is wired into the router, rather than from the laptop.
Old 06-03-2005, 21:41   #45
Raistlin
Inactive

Think I lost you on the chat kash.