Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Which modem router for me ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which modem router for me ?

Old 11-02-2005, 13:02   #1
domtheboy
Inactive

domtheboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Which modem router for me ?

Hi guys

I'm an NTL customer for Broadband which I am currently receiving through a cable modem. I've recently purchased a second PC and I'm interested in networking it with my existing PC in order to share files and my internet connection.

I don't want to go down the wireless route yet purely due to cost (I can't afford to) and so have been investigating the alternatives. I've been advised on a support forum that the best way to go would be to look at a modem router, and was wondering if anyone here could recommend one for me to use ? Also, if anyone could clarify something for me - does the modem router with the modem itself, or does it replace it and act as a standalone piece of hardware ?

Cheers

Dom
domtheboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2005, 13:05   #2
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
Re: Which modem router for me ?

Don't get a router with a built-in modem - those available publicly in the UK are for DSL connections, and won't work with your cable broadband. There are routers available elsewhere that have a cable modem built in, but those won't work on the ntl system.

Your best bet is to have a look around a few sites like ebuyer, Dabs, etc., and choose one from there, making sure it's got an Ethernet WAN port, and not an ADSL modem.
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 13:07   #3
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

the modem router route might be good for ADSL, but not for Cable

The NTL supplied CM or STB is the only hardware that will talk to the network. You need a router. Linksys make some good ones like the BEFSR11. Compare the cost to the WRT54G wireless, then you may buy that and not need to upgrade in the future.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 13:09   #4
homealone

Hi to Cable Forum

You can only connect to NTL using an NTL supplied cable modem - that is good news though, as you will only need an 'ordinary' router, rather than a combined router/modem (which only work with ADSL as far as i know).

<edit> must type faster
Old 11-02-2005, 13:09   #5
domtheboy
Inactive

Question Re: Which modem router for me ?

Hi fellas, thanks for the warm welcome.

Just to clarify - with regards to what I actually need to go looking for (so I can be sepcific whilst browsing), am I looking for a "router" or a "cable router" - probably a silly question but I want to make sure I understand the distinction.

Cheers !

Dom
Old 11-02-2005, 13:13   #6
flook
Inactive

Services: NTL TV, phone NTL 4mb
flook is an unknown quantity at this point

you are looking for a router to work on a cable broadband internet connection. Linksys or netgear do them, i have a linksys BEFR summat or other, you can also get them with built in wireless for an extra tenner or so.

must have built in switch (4 port hub) otherwise you will need to buy a separate switch
flook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 13:19   #7
domtheboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flook
you are looking for a router to work on a cable broadband internet connection. Linksys or netgear do them, i have a linksys BEFR summat or other, you can also get them with built in wireless for an extra tenner or so.

must have built in switch (4 port hub) otherwise you will need to buy a separate switch
Hi flook

It isn't the "LINKSYS BEFSX41" by any chance is it ? I'm just having a look on PC World's website at the options available (I hate PC World but unfortunately:

a) I am at work
b) I want to sort this out by tonight
c) They are open 'til 8 so I will end up having to go there !

Cheers

Dom
Old 11-02-2005, 13:27   #8
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtheboy
Hi flook

It isn't the "LINKSYS BEFSX41" by any chance is it ? I'm just having a look on PC World's website at the options available (I hate PC World but unfortunately:

a) I am at work
b) I want to sort this out by tonight
c) They are open 'til 8 so I will end up having to go there !

Cheers

Dom
That'll do nicely
http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=29&prid=433
Old 11-02-2005, 13:33   #9
domtheboy
Inactive

Talking Re: Which modem router for me ?

Terrific - thanks again for your swift responses. Now on to the nitty gritty - how difficult do you expect it will be for me to set up my network ?

To give you a breakdown of my circumstances:

At the moment I have two PCs, one is about 2 years old and running Windows XP Pro SP2, the other is a brand new Dell which is running Windows XP Home SP2 (I think it is home but probably need to double check). Our broadband connection comes via NTL cable modem. Both PCs have an available network port to which an Ethernet cable could be connected. At the moment the cable modem connects directly to the older of the two PCs by Ethernet.

Again I await your sage advice.

Thanks

Dom
Old 11-02-2005, 13:42   #10
SMHarman
Inactive

1. Switch off the PCs switch off the router (well pull the power out the back)
2. Plug router to CM, router to PC1 router to PC2 (make sure you get enough "straight" through (not crossover) patch cables.
3. Turn CM on wait until sync and rdy lights are stable
4. Turn router on wait until lights stabilise, the wan light should blink occasionally as network traffic on the ntl network talks to it.
5. Turn the PCs on.

Open explorer and it should bring up your home page.
No wireless security to configure, easy. Unless you are connected through a STB you do not need to clone the mac address.

Do you want to share files / printers etc between the two PC or just have both access the internet?
Old 11-02-2005, 13:44   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

1. Switch everything off
2. Unplug all Ethernet cables currently running
3. Plug Cable Modem Ethernet Directly into Router WAN Port
4. Connect each PC to the router's switch (doesnt matter wich port, 1&2 will do nicely)
5. Boot the cable mode, the router, then each of the PCs. Assuming everything is set up in the router already (most are) you should immediately have internet connectivity on each PC (some routers might need configuring, read the instruction manual for instructions on how to do this)

Meh, too slow
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 13:46   #12
domtheboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
1. Switch off the PCs switch off the router (well pull the power out the back)
2. Plug router to CM, router to PC1 router to PC2 (make sure you get enough "straight" through (not crossover) patch cables.
3. Turn CM on wait until sync and rdy lights are stable
4. Turn router on wait until lights stabilise, the wan light should blink occasionally as network traffic on the ntl network talks to it.
5. Turn the PCs on.

Open explorer and it should bring up your home page.
No wireless security to configure, easy. Unless you are connected through a STB you do not need to clone the mac address.

Do you want to share files / printers etc between the two PC or just have both access the internet?
In answer to your question, I'd like to share files / printers etc as well as sharing the b/band connection. You've referred to a "STB", I don't think I understand what this means, could you elaborate ?

Thanks

Dom
Old 11-02-2005, 13:56   #13
SMHarman
Inactive

Pictures from the knowledge base
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=39

Set top Box, but you have a plain ol cable mode right?

File and Printer Sharing.

In Control panel go into file and printer sharing make sure it is enabled. Make sure the workgroup name is the same on both PCs, make sure the PC name is different on both PCs.

Restart the PCs (for the renames to take effect)

Choose what you are sharing, right click on it and choose the sharing option, you can see the shared items in the network places or using explorer you can map them as network drives.
Old 11-02-2005, 14:02   #14
domtheboy
Inactive

Ah, Set Top Box ! Right, well no I'm not using one of those, I'm just using the standard issue NTL cable modem (approx 1 year old). So this all sounds suspiciously straightforward ! LOL, we'll see if I can crack it after I've bought meself the router this evening.

Thanks again for all your help guys, you're the best !

Cheers

Dom
Old 11-02-2005, 14:03   #15
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Let us know how you get on.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote