Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor wireless connectivity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Poor wireless connectivity

Old 19-07-2004, 11:21   #46
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Poor wireless connectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartbe
That suggests tp me that its the adaptor antenna that is the problem. Have you moved it right next to the other card ?

The higher the SNR the more interference there is. It seems funny that they should put the antenna wire right next to the side of the TFT just where millions of noisy transistors are switching on and off !

The pcmcia cards usualy have better quality antennas in them..... Makes me wonder if this problem affects lots of bods that have inbuilt wi-fi cards !
Mine works pretty well all over the house Intel b mini PCI with the antenna round a 15.4 in lappy screen (Inspiron 8600).
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2004, 13:50   #47
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartbe
That suggests tp me that its the adaptor antenna that is the problem. Have you moved it right next to the other card ?

The higher the SNR the more interference there is. It seems funny that they should put the antenna wire right next to the side of the TFT just where millions of noisy transistors are switching on and off !

One of the wierd things is that mine worked for just under a week without any problems, then all of a sudden it started dropping the connection at random intervals every couple of minutes. I noticed the longer the uptime, the more frequent the intervals. Maybe something is overheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbe
The pcmcia cards usualy have better quality antennas in them..... Makes me wonder if this problem affects lots of bods that have inbuilt wi-fi cards !
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Mine works pretty well all over the house Intel b mini PCI with the antenna round a 15.4 in lappy screen (Inspiron 8600).

I notice yours is a dell though SMHarman, stuartbe may have a point since punky is using a HP and mine is a compaq (Now owned by HP), also thinking about it, most of the laptops I have seen mentioned on google as suffering with this problem are either HP or Compaq.
Maybe its an Antenna positioning problem or something mor complicated like Firmware issues, or driver conflicts (Like I noticed mine shares the same IRQ as my Graphics card, sureley that can't be good?)
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 14:58   #48
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

OK- so moving the antenna isn't an option...

What protocol is the lan on, and how far roughly are you away from the AP?

Are there any objects in the (straight line) path between the AP and PC, notably walls, tanks, metal objects etc

As you move away from the AP the signal strength decreases in an inverse square relationship- are you too far from the AP?

Are you using the adapter's config utility or the XP one?
nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 15:10   #49
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
OK- so moving the antenna isn't an option...

What protocol is the lan on, and how far roughly are you away from the AP?

Are there any objects in the (straight line) path between the AP and PC, notably walls, tanks, metal objects etc

As you move away from the AP the signal strength decreases in an inverse square relationship- are you too far from the AP?

Are you using the adapter's config utility or the XP one?
Nope, tried all that. I've used the laptop on the desk next to the AP, and it still jumps on and off. The other wireless desktop always seems to work, even, funnily enough, when the microwave is on (it is in between the router and the other computer)

It's such a shame we have to go all through this with a nearly new laptop. Apart from the the stupid wireless modem, it is actually really nice.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 16:01   #50
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Must be a dodgy adapter on the laptop then- take it back/ get it fixed or get a USB / PCMCIA one instead, preferably from the same mfr as the router / AP...
nffc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2004, 00:59   #51
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

A quickie for you all:

I'm running a B-class wireless network (11mbps peak). All the network nodes connect at 2mbps. Does that mean if I switch to a G-class (54mbps) network, it will still be stuck at 2mbps because of the environment interference? Or is it usual for devices to connect at a figure much reduced from the peak?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 13:40   #52
c7borg
Inactive

c7borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I would add to this post

I'm currently having an issue with an Ergo laptop running the Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B mini PCI adapter at work; it's a setup for a schools network within our Hospital. It seems that the signal fluctuates anything from 1bar to 5bars on the little status display. This is when the laptop is sat on a desk no more than 5m away from the access point which is a HP 420 device (not cheap) I have tried SP2 for XP and this doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Fortunately I had the luxury of other wireless devices connecting to the same wlan of which all are working fine ranging from a Samsung P28 with integral wireless to a windows 98 pc with pci card in the back both are within the same distance.

Why is this I have no idea but I think the solution seems (from this post) to disable the on board card and use a PCMCIA or USB wireless adapter
c7borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 15:20   #53
mung
Inactive

mung is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had the exact same drop out problems you've described (even within 1 metre of the wireless router). I have an MSI RG54GS wireless router with an INTEL PRO/WIRELESS LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter. I tried updating all my drivers and it still wasn't fixed.

However, intel has published a list of known problems with the Mini PCI adapter on their website. One of the articles (http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../cs-006205.htm) described possible drop out problems due to router manufacturers not implementing PSP correctly. After following thier temporary workaround solution, my connection is back to normal.

Hope it helps all you poms.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote