Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless information

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless information

Old 20-08-2004, 09:22   #16
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society
Re: Wireless information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I found that the WPA-PSK support in the pre-sp2 patch above to be flaky at best (linksys and netgear cards). I required a third partty WPA-PSK service to log on to the wireless router, even with the patch installed.

With XP SP2, the support is much better, prettier, and more user friendly. My 2 cents
i found the same as most WPA drivers for XP at the time were naff - they did get better and i no longer required 3rd party programs. Netgear do seem to release a lot of updates and often so a check of the website every few weeks pays off.
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2007, 16:54   #17
DES_1001
Inactive

DES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm new to wireless stuff so forgive me if i get mixed up! but would this this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT5...377126-1831011

and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WUSB...030906-8776421
be all i need to link 2 computers together? or do i need 2 off the USB adapters?
I'm on the 4 meg connection old comp running XP Pro pentium 3 800 256 ram.
New comp PENTIUM DUAL CORE 64BIT 5.6GHZ CPU, 2GB DDR, 200GB HD XP Pro. any advice would be great
DES_1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 17:02   #18
zing_deleted

as long as one pc is hard wired to the router then yes 5.6 ghz cpu?????? you over clocked that or you typoed?

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DES_1001 View Post
I'm new to wireless stuff so forgive me if i get mixed up! but would this this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT5...377126-1831011

and this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WUSB...030906-8776421
be all i need to link 2 computers together? or do i need 2 off the USB adapters?
I'm on the 4 meg connection old comp running XP Pro pentium 3 800 256 ram.
New comp PENTIUM DUAL CORE 64BIT 5.6GHZ CPU, 2GB DDR, 200GB HD XP Pro. any advice would be great
Old 02-01-2007, 18:11   #19
DES_1001
Inactive

DES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of lightDES_1001 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks Zing 5.6GHz Dual core 2x2.8GHz. so would i need 2 of the usb adapters or just 1?
Old 02-01-2007, 18:36   #20
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You'll only have one connection per PC, despite it being dual cored so only one USB adapter is required.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 19:47   #21
DES_1001
Inactive

thank you Rob, just 1 for the old one then ( it'll keep the kids happy) cheers

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

just me again Amazon don't have any of the USB adapters would this still be ok http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...253054-8934845
or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 14-03-2007, 18:16   #22
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Wireless information

Hi,

I'm a wifi novice and I have just got a new laptop with bluetooth and wireless. I want to connect to my nearest free hotspot safely.

How do I know if a hotspot is free and how do I connect given that they seem to ask for keys which I don't have.

I don't want to end up piggybacking illegally on someone's wireless internet connection.

How do I enable WPA security and prevent wifi hackers accessing my system please?

Any advice would be most welcome.
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2007, 22:41   #23
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

There's some useful stuff to start on here:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101191.asp
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101379.asp
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 10:58   #24
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Hi,

I'm a wifi novice and I have just got a new laptop with bluetooth and wireless. I want to connect to my nearest free hotspot safely.

How do I know if a hotspot is free and how do I connect given that they seem to ask for keys which I don't have.

I don't want to end up piggybacking illegally on someone's wireless internet connection.

How do I enable WPA security and prevent wifi hackers accessing my system please?

Any advice would be most welcome.
If a 'hotspot' is asking for an encryption key, it is secured and probably not free. If it is a public hotspot, contact the owner/admin to get the encryption key.
WPA encryption is set on the router (aka base station or hotspot) and every client connecting has to use it.
If you have your own wireless router then WPA should be enabled if it is available but how to enable it depends on the model of the router.
HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2007, 11:32   #25
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Wireless information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
If a 'hotspot' is asking for an encryption key, it is secured and probably not free. If it is a public hotspot, contact the owner/admin to get the encryption key.
WPA encryption is set on the router (aka base station or hotspot) and every client connecting has to use it.
If you have your own wireless router then WPA should be enabled if it is available but how to enable it depends on the model of the router.
HTH
Hi Aragorn,

Thanks for that. I'm not using a router as I have wireless and bluetooth built into my laptop.

When I activate the wireless connection I receive signals and get a list of available connections, some secured and some not. The secured ones do ask for an encryption key and tend to have a stronger signal. The others have a weaker signal appear to be other people in my neighbourhood using wireless.

I'm not sure at this point if WPA is activated on my laptop but I have installed
a program called Hotspot Shield ( by Anchorfree) which hopefully will offer some protection from hackers. I've heard of a WPA2 protocol but not sure if my machine has it.

I've also got hold of a number of wireless utilities e.g. wireshark which hopefully will let me know what traffic there is in my area, once I learn how to operate it.

It could well be that there isn't a free hotspot near me. I suspect the strongest signal may be from a hotspot in a local pub but I'm not sure about that.
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 20:24   #26
Cabling
Inactive

Cabling is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Ditto to lots of wireless info on wi-fiplanet.com
Cabling is offline   Reply With Quote