Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Router for Virgin 20MB?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Best Router for Virgin 20MB?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:42   #1
SpiderJon
Inactive

SpiderJon is an unknown quantity at this point
Best Router for Virgin 20MB?

My current router appears to be 'incompatible' with my new Ambit 256 modem (I get 20MB when connected direct to the modem, but only 3MB when connected via my router).

Anyway, my question is - when buying a new router (one with draft N wi-fi), how can I be completely sure that it will be fully compatible with my Ambit 256 modem?

TIA

Spider
SpiderJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2009, 12:10   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Best Router for Virgin 20MB?

I'd be surprised if any DSL (not ADSL) router currently on sale with a daft-n spec was incompatible with cable. Older routers may have had inadequate speed ports for the ethernet connection but that might have been for "g" or earlier speeds. Today's routers should have at least a 100meg ethernet port capacity.

Stick to a well known and supported brand such as Linksys and you should be fine.

Note that wired speeds will usually be faster and more reliable than wireless simply because wireless can be affected by range and interference. A slight speed drop even on wired is always possible since your router adds and extra "hop" to the transmissions and also may include firewalls and things all of which the data has to bypass. For example my Linksys WRT610N maxes out around 18.5meg on my 20meg connection.

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

You may of course be entitled to the Virgin Media supplied Netgear router, although I'm not sure that is pre-n
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:40   #3
SpiderJon
Inactive

SpiderJon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best Router for Virgin 20MB?

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Older routers may have had inadequate speed ports for the ethernet connection... Today's routers should have at least a 100meg ethernet port capacity.
My existing router - a very well-regarded 3Com gateway - is spec'ed for 100Mb (fast) ethernet, so I must admit I am puzzled about why it seems to be incompatible.

Quote:
You may of course be entitled to the Virgin Media supplied Netgear router
How would I know if I'm entitled?

regards

Spider
SpiderJon is offline   Reply With Quote