Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Extend network connectivity by using a second router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Extend network connectivity by using a second router?

Old 27-08-2009, 13:42   #1
Insomnicat
Inactive

Insomnicat is an unknown quantity at this point
Extend network connectivity by using a second router?

Hi,

I was contemplating the use of SlingCatcher to transmit my Virgin V+ to another TV. However, it can only access the internet through a network (Ethernet) connection. Is it possible to connect the SlingCatcher to the LAN port on another router and in turn have that router connect to the internet using my current wireless network?

Thanks in advance
Insomnicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2009, 17:24   #2
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
Re: Extend network connectivity by using a second router?

I`m certainly no expert but i dont believe you could have the second router get it`s net via wireless from the first, not under normal circumstances anyway.
If that is what you mean of course????

You can certainly add a second Router to an existing network but not the way you want i dont think...
I use a second router myself as a temporary wireless access point on occasion but it needs to get it`s net from either one of the main routers LAN ports or an internal machine running ICS of some description, as mines does.
You`d also have to disable DHCP on the second router and assign it an IP address on the same subnet as the main router.

I`m sure somebody else can tell you for sure.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 17:32   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Extend network connectivity by using a second router?

Have a look in the config of the routers. If one of them has the option to operate in 'Bridged' mode, then it will be possible to set that router as a client wireless device of the first (which will be the main wireless access point) and then connect other devices to it via ethernet.

If the router doesn't have the option to run in bridged mode then take a look at the 'Tomato' and 'DD-WRT' replacement firmwares, they are both capable of operating in this way and (if supported by your router) would be a good way to go.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote