Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 30-07-2015, 19:17   #1066
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

I also have issues with the Soundblaster cinema card in my laptop tried to load that up and windows 10 doesn't like it says there is no card even though the software is loading the card installs ok driver wise. luckily the laptop must have alternative sound as using Via HD audio deck and that is working ok.

Just had a look at the creative website and they wont have any drivers available for most of their sound cards till at least October.

I've also having problems with firefox it loads ok but wants to check it's the default browser everytime I open it even though I have checked the box saying it is.

Also windows bit defender is on by default and is greyed out so you can't turn it off I'm sure there is a work around for this but it doesn't appear to be conflicting with my Norton software.

Other than that I haven't noticed anything else yet but not had a chance to play around with it yet.

As with any op system it's finding things but I aren't keen on upgrades like fresh installs as things tend to work better so I might try a fresh install.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2015, 20:26   #1067
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

3 Laptops & 2 PCs now running windows 10 No problems so far 2 more PCs to go
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 20:40   #1068
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

I get Error code: 0xC004C003 on clean install
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 20:50   #1069
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
I get Error code: 0xC004C003 on clean install
Yep basically your key is blocked from activating at the moment, took ages for mine to activate and about 3 upgrades from windows 8.1 plus 3 clean installs of windows 10 just to get it to activate.

At the moment though this stupid issue with having 2 login accounts showing on the login screen, is really doing my head in when there is only 1 user account on the pc.

The 2nd user account has a password but I don't know what it is, I have tried all the usual passwords that I would have used, I have tried all the none usual ones, tried pins etc and nothing works I cannot log in to them and cannot remove them at the moment.
Old 30-07-2015, 20:52   #1070
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Question, you update to 10 and you want to do a clean install on a new drive, are you given a key for the fresh install.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 21:11   #1071
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I also have issues with the Soundblaster cinema card in my laptop tried to load that up and windows 10 doesn't like it says there is no card even though the software is loading the card installs ok driver wise. luckily the laptop must have alternative sound as using Via HD audio deck and that is working ok.

Just had a look at the creative website and they wont have any drivers available for most of their sound cards till at least October.

I've also having problems with firefox it loads ok but wants to check it's the default browser everytime I open it even though I have checked the box saying it is.

Also windows bit defender is on by default and is greyed out so you can't turn it off I'm sure there is a work around for this but it doesn't appear to be conflicting with my Norton software.

Other than that I haven't noticed anything else yet but not had a chance to play around with it yet.

As with any op system it's finding things but I aren't keen on upgrades like fresh installs as things tend to work better so I might try a fresh install.
I had that, an uninstall of firefox and reinstall fixes it, don't delete the settings if asked when you unistall.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 21:21   #1072
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Well I finally figured out the reason for the 2 user logins appearing, and it was because I was telling it that I didn't want to enter the password and instead wanted to boot, directly in to the desktop without asking for a password.

As soon as I changed it back so it asked me for a password or pin, the 2nd user account disappeared.

As for the firefox thing, I found it was asking me each time I opened it and then I found that if I opened up the properties for Firefox where you change your home page there, was a tick box that was ticked even though I had unticked it when the pop up appeared, I then also had to change the default browser within the settings.

Got to Settings, then System, then scroll down to Default Apps and you can change it there as well but it will still keep asking you until you untick the box with Firefox's properties.
Old 31-07-2015, 00:09   #1073
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Can someone link me to this magic jelly bean please.

Also a report on YouTube suggests sp1 for 10 in August.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 00:12   #1074
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

What is everyone running as an A/V on W10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
The same as before Windows 10..Eset's Nod32.
I've found nod32 to be a bit of a lag recently. Looking at AV-Comparatives..

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-co..._201505_en.pdf

Avira looks the best bet with Avast for outright performance.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 00:15   #1075
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
There is no way I am going to upgrade until I see lots of reports that the upgrade can be carried out smoothly. For instance at the moment there seem to be issues with certain drivers. Maybe after Microsoft issue their first update I will change my mind but this is only a day into the operation and we have a whole year in which to get Windows 10 for free.
I have had no issues apart from Cortana failing to work at first..and the screen saver going grey but sorted after a play around with the settings..nothing major.

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
What is everyone running as an A/V on W10?

I've found nod32 to be a bit of a lag recently. Looking at AV-Comparatives..

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-co..._201505_en.pdf

Avira looks the best bet with Avast for outright performance.
Still no issues for me..no lag of any kind and the CS is second to none.you should have emailed CS..they might have solved the issue for you..
Old 31-07-2015, 00:15   #1076
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Microsoft account, and I have just checked it and it was showing as logged in to the Microsoft account but needed to be verified, as soon as I did that and rebooted it activated.

What a PITA system that is, that you cannot activate until you have not only logged in with your account but also validated the account on your pc which, I can understand for security reasons but you would, have thought that Microsoft Customer Support would have asked for that to be verified first.

**Edit**

For those who have a similar issue to what I have had all day here is what I needed to do in the end.

1: Install Windows 7/8/8.1

2: Install all updates to the point there is none left

3: Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1

4: Install the Windows 10 Upgrade so that you have Windows 10 installed

5: Ensure you are logged in to a Microsoft Live Account for logging in etc

6: Ensure Windows 10 is activated

7: Download Windows 10 Media Creator Tool

8: Create the ISO file for the version of Windows 10 that is installed IE Home, Pro etc

9: Download Magic Jelly Bean, install it and run it to obtain the Windows 10 key.

10: Burn the ISO to DVD or create a USB Installer using Rufus

11: Carry out a clean install of Windows 10 using the ISO you created.

12: Ensure that when you install it, that you use the key you get from Magic Jelly Bean

13: Ensure once the install is complete that you are logged in using your Windows Live login details

14: Verify your Live account on the machine

15: Check the activation status to ensure you are fully activated

16: Store the key from Magic Jelly Bean somewhere safe as you will need that in the future for any further clean installs if, it does not pick it up from your live account.

It is a PITA way to have to do it, since Microsoft say your Windows 7/8/8.1 key should work but it only took me nearly 12 hours to finally figure it out after spending nearly, 4 hours in total on the phone to Microsoft and doing around 10 clean installs and upgrades of Windows 8/8.1 & 10.

Now my main pc is sorted I now have to deal with my lan/media pc.
I didn't have these issues, I upgraded my laptop first, then created the ISO/USB. When I did a clean install I skipped adding a product key and once I got into windows, I logged back into my MS account and Windows activated on it's own. My research suggests that once you've upgrade MS remembers the PC, so if you reinstall it activates on it's own.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 00:16   #1077
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

@alferret
you just do a upgrade and install windows 10. maybe it changed the key for windows 10.
I didn't use KeyFinder Magical Jelly Bean to find windows 10 key.

I was thinking clean install will automatically detect my BIOS ID (motherboard) to activate windows 10. Microsoft didn't give me windows 10 serial key by E-mail or anything else.
it would have made life easy if Microsoft just gave the windows 10 key by e-mail.

they did say you should upgrade first then do a clean install, so I was thinking Microsoft will save my computer ID on there system. so you can install and clean install anytime.
but will wait for few days and see what happens
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 00:38   #1078
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Still no issues for me..no lag of any kind and the CS is second to none.you should have emailed CS..they might have solved the issue for you..
ESET CS was good when approached but its still a bit of a hound on system resources. av test has Avira AV, Bitdefender IS and Kaspersky IS for all round performance and protection for home users...

https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-m...turer-results/

I'm not sure who to go for. a stand alone a/v would do nicely so Avira it is
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 01:49   #1079
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
@alferret
you just do a upgrade and install windows 10. maybe it changed the key for windows 10.
I didn't use KeyFinder Magical Jelly Bean to find windows 10 key.

I was thinking clean install will automatically detect my BIOS ID (motherboard) to activate windows 10. Microsoft didn't give me windows 10 serial key by E-mail or anything else.
it would have made life easy if Microsoft just gave the windows 10 key by e-mail.

they did say you should upgrade first then do a clean install, so I was thinking Microsoft will save my computer ID on there system. so you can install and clean install anytime.
but will wait for few days and see what happens
try this found it on another windows forum in command prompt as admin type slmgr.vbs /ato
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 08:49   #1080
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Microsoft announces 14 million Windows 10 installs since launch

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsof...edium=facebook
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote