Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless connection problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless connection problems

Old 19-07-2009, 17:27   #1
daveyj123
Inactive

daveyj123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless connection problems

Hello,
I hope someone can help.

I can connect my laptop directly to the net by plugging a cable between it & the netgear box, and I can then access the 192.168.1.1 control panel.

However, no matter how I configure the settings I cannot get the laptop to work wirelessly, even if in the control panel I set the security to none.

It still won't connect up.

So I'm assuming that it must be some setting on the laptop?

I've made sure the tcp/ip settings are to automatic/detect dns etc.

What else can I try?

Thanks.
daveyj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2009, 20:22   #2
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all
Re: Wireless connection problems

what happens when you try to connect?

Can the laptop see the wireless network but not connect? Or not even see it listed?

Do you get an error message?

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 20:26   #3
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Ensure the wireless card doesn't have a manual IP address, i.e. set it for DHCP.
From a command prompt enter ipconfig/all

What ip does the wireless card have?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 20:28   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Is the wi-fi turned on?

by default wi-fi is turned off by default on routers & lappys.
Old 19-07-2009, 20:57   #5
daveyj123
Inactive

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

The laptop can see the network but when I try to connect it is unable to.

The cards IP is showing as all zeros, and it says DHCP as not enabled.

Thanks.
Old 19-07-2009, 21:02   #6
LondonRoad
Inactive

LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyj123 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

The laptop can see the network but when I try to connect it is unable to.

The cards IP is showing as all zeros, and it says DHCP as not enabled.

Thanks.
If the router is set up to be DHCP then you'll have to change the wireless client card to obtain IP address automatically in the TCP/IP properties in control panel.
Old 19-07-2009, 21:55   #7
daveyj123
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmitage View Post
If the router is set up to be DHCP then you'll have to change the wireless client card to obtain IP address automatically in the TCP/IP properties in control panel.
Hi,
I've been looking in the network connections part of the control panel in windows & it seems to be set up to the automatic settings for ip & dns.

Am I looking in the right place?

Thx

---------- Post added at 21:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Hello,
I think I made a mistake earlier. The DCHP seems to be enabled and the ip address is showing as 00-1C-BF-66-66-D3 on the wireless adapter.

Thanks.
Old 19-07-2009, 22:40   #8
LondonRoad
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyj123 View Post
Hi,

[/COLOR]Hello,
I think I made a mistake earlier. The DCHP seems to be enabled and the ip address is showing as 00-1C-BF-66-66-D3 on the wireless adapter.

Thanks.
That looks like it's the MAC (aka physical) address of the adaptor.

Could it be the DHCP is enabled for the wired adaptor? ipconfig/all will display results for all adaptors.

The ip address would take the form XX.XX.XX.XX where XX is a number between 1 and 255 e.g 192.168.2.12

If you go into control panel and select network connections, right click on the wireless adaptor, select properties, click on Internet protocol (TCP/IP) and ensure both obtain Ip address and dns are selected.

Is the built in Nic (i.e. the wired network adaptor) set up for DHCP? When you're in control panel right follow the instuctions above and check.
Old 19-07-2009, 23:24   #9
daveyj123
Inactive

Hi,
I checked the TCP IP (v6 & v4 is it) and everything is set up for automatic.

I looked in the router control panel & it seems to say DHCP on & "user router as DHCP server" is ticked too.

I've also deleted the profile I'd set up for the connection & unplugged the power to the router for a few minutes & restarted the laptop, but to no avail.

Thanks.
Old 20-07-2009, 14:11   #10
daveyj123
Inactive

Hello,
I've fixed this now & I feel like a right divot for not working it out earlier.

In the router settings at 192.168.1.1 there is a section called "wireless access card list."

This was ticked meaning all wireless cards allowed to use the network had to be defined/registered in the router.

I unticked it & it worked straight away - D'oh!

Thanks for everyone who was kind enough to try & help.
Old 20-07-2009, 14:25   #11
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

Don't forget to put some sort of password/security on the router or your router will be open to anyone passing by
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 14:52   #12
daveyj123
Inactive

Oh yes,
I changed it back to wpa or whatever it was

Thanks.
Old 30-07-2009, 03:09   #13
cairou1