Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Need help to connect 2 PCs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Need help to connect 2 PCs

Old 03-06-2006, 22:53   #16
Spitfire
Inactive

Services: TV - NTL:Home, Internet - NTL Broadband 4mb and Phone - NTL.
Spitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: need help[ to connect 2 pc's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhau
Thanks, good point re the linksys.WRT54G.. will go for that one.
shall get all the stuff tomnorrow.cables, router etc.!! guess i dont need anything else to set up.
@mhuggett, think i shall wait awhile for that too...

Thanks a lot
cheers
Good luck

I got my router package from PC World for £50! Check there
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2006, 20:40   #17
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

We installed a linksys router yesterday (BEFSR41). We've gone through the polava of getting it set up between two comps, but! we got the wired version
(no plans for nothing spectacular here... not for a while anyway)
Internet is fantastic - sweet... I don't have to beg for the internet connection!!

Now the file sharing bit between two comps... keep it simple please, I need a slow explanation

(it'll probably come in handy for the original submitter of this topic too)

thanks in advance
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 21:03   #18
zing_deleted

I just right click on what I want to allow access on and share on a network.Deside if you want to allow remote users to change files or not and apply the changes.
Failing that just run the network setup wizard on both machines

Printer sharing can be done in much the same way as I do file sharing right click on printer (in printers and faxs) and select share name it and the other pc will find it If your using older versions of windows you will need drivers for the clients version
Old 04-06-2006, 21:34   #19
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

ah, cool - a friend did try to explain earlier to us but just confounded everything by making it sound more complicated than necessary :-p

I shall now try what you suggest
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 21:57   #20
bhau
Inactive

bhau is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the suggestiions.. will come in very useful when i get my setup working. Hopefully I should have time to do all this on Tuesday.
Any and all suggestions/help is very much appreciated.

cheers
bhau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:56   #21
mhuggett
Inactive

mhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about them

Be careful of permissions as well. As people can get stuck trying to figure these out. Share and NTFS
It all depends on what flavour of XP you have as to how you set them up.
mhuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 19:11   #22
bhau
Inactive

Just an update!
Got the WRT54GS and have the network all set up.. seems to be working fine at the moment.
Thanks for all the help!
cheers
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16   #23
bhau
Inactive

I thought I had the network all set up.. unfortunately No!
Both the computers connect to the internet OK.. however I dont seem to have the connection between the 2 computers.
The main computer just shows Local Area Connection
The second computer shows
Local Area Connection and a "1394 Connection"

How do I get the 2 computers connected to each other, so I can have file sharing etc. I have already managed to get the C drive of the second computer to show a hand underneath ( sharing?), but the main computer obviously does not see it.

Any help would be much appreciated
Cheers!
Old 08-06-2006, 15:58   #24
bhau
Inactive

Re: Need help to connect 2 PCs

Managed to get it sorted.
thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 16:01   #25
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Managed to get it sorted.
thanks
Let me guess: The firewall was blocking requests?
Old 08-06-2006, 19:46   #26
bhau
Inactive

Danielf!!!Absolutely right. next question.. how do I disable the windows firewall permanently from the second computer. The main one has Norton Internet Security.. I have disabled that firewall.
Thanks for your help
cheers
Old 08-06-2006, 20:35   #27
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Accessories -- System Tools -- Security Center?

Have you disabled to firewall completely? It is generally considered best to run a firewall even behind a router. The router will protect you against (unsollocited) incoming traffic, but does not secure outbound traffic. This is where the firewall helps.
Old 08-06-2006, 20:41   #28
mhuggett
Inactive

mhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about themmhuggett has a spectacular aura about them

3 ways

http://www.utexas.edu/its/windows/re...sable-wfw.html
mhuggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 22:36   #29
bhau
Inactive

@Danielf
Yes I have disabled the firewall completely. If the firewall is enabled I cannot get to file and printer sharing etc. How do I have a firewall behind the router without it affecting the network connection? please let me know.
Thanks
Cheers
Old 08-06-2006, 22:58   #30
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
@Danielf
Yes I have disabled the firewall completely. If the firewall is enabled I cannot get to file and printer sharing etc. How do I have a firewall behind the router without it affecting the network connection? please let me know.
Thanks
Cheers
I don't know about the windows firewall, but in zonealarm (free download) you have a 'trusted zone' (which is separate from the web). In zonealarm you add the ip address of the other machine(s) on your network to the trusted zone, and the firewall will then let any traffic between the machines in the trusted zone pass through. I'm sure other firewalls have something similar, but I've only used zonealarm, so I can't tell you how to do this with other firewalls. I'm sure somebody who can will be along shortly though.