Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Racking up the output power of wi-fi routers?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Racking up the output power of wi-fi routers?

Old 29-03-2006, 21:54   #1
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society
Racking up the output power of wi-fi routers?

I know this is possible with a certain model of router, but I forget which one. Is this a common thing that can be done, if you know how to do it - increasing the output power of wireless routers?

I'm about to buy a router with an output of 22mW. Milliwatts! Anyone know of any routers that use the legal limit of 100mW?

(I'm no wi-fi expert.. most used to dealing with watts, not milliwatts - and megahertz, not gigahertz. )
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2006, 22:10   #2
UnReaL
Inactive

UnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really nice
Re: Racking up the output power of wi-fi routers?

Hey,

Have a look at the Linksys that I've bought from PCWorld, I've downloaded firmware for it, this essentially allows me to change just about everything on the router, including the power output:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...ory_oid=-24986

I see that your about to buy a router with a power output of 22mW,

Well, my Linksys router (see PCworld link above), produces a power output of upto 251mW MAX.

So you can change it to 100mW or 251 mW

Tell me what you think!
UnReaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 22:25   #3
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

some of hacked firmwares for the Linksys allow you to increase the power output
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 22:43   #4
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society

Hmm, ~5dB more power... yeah, I could live with that.

It is a damn sight more than I was planning on spending though - I was hoping to get a router and a USB wi-fi stick for £50, not just a router alone! Can get it for £43 + delv. at eBuyer though (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=45023 - same one, I assume), so it's certainly an option, and I would like to run it at the max. permitted. It must be one of those radio engineer things, wanting to get as much power as permitted.

Can you get the firmware needed from the Linksys site, or could you give me to a link to wherever else it's available? That'd be great. Thanks.
Old 29-03-2006, 22:49   #5
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

http://www.hyperwrt.org/

http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/3/1/
Old 29-03-2006, 23:08   #6
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

...or buy a big aerial:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoorantenna-24.htm
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 23:08   #7
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

Feeling very tempted, looking at the HyperWRT site - thanks!

Has anyone had a "brick" on their hands before trying to upgrade?
Old 29-03-2006, 23:09   #8
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhnewark
Feeling very tempted, looking at the HyperWRT site - thanks!

Has anyone had a "brick" on their hands before trying to upgrade?
Ive used HyperWRT before and it was fine
Old 29-03-2006, 23:13   #9
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
As tempting as that is, 8dB up on 25mW is probably around 200mW. I'd be better off paying a tenner or so extra for the Linksys router.

Thanks for the info, WaC.
Old 30-03-2006, 18:35   #10
UnReaL
Inactive

UnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really niceUnReaL is just really nice

BTW guys,

I bought my router around January the 9th or so, it came with the USB adapter for so that you don't have to but it seperately which would cost like £40 more then usual.

So like I said it came bundled, the I bought it for £54 I think, can't seem to find the receipt at the moment.

Compared to the other VERY expensive wireless routers out there that cannot get the job done, the Linksys exceeds all expectations!

Please check the following links, this is all you need, I know its going past what you want to spend, but have a look, PCWorld always have these routers on sale bundled with the USB adapter.

The following website is microwarehouse:

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/LKSWL015

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/LKSWL036

http://www.microwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/LKSWL026

There are two of the USB adapters for the wireless router, one comes with the ''speedbooster'' technology, I have no idea what the benefits are, but it was bundled with the Linksys I got.

I think I put the power up too much , check attached image below:
Old 20-04-2006, 12:12   #11
robbed666
Inactive

robbed666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where actually can you download the firmware to up grade output power ?

Thanks Rob
robbed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 15:15   #12
UnReaL
Inactive

Its located here - http://www.dd-wrt.org/

Please NOTE: Do not download any fireware with the Sputnik software integrated into it, it will just kill your router.

You have to read the the website thoroughly to find the right firmware, but please do so at your own risk because if you use the wrong firmware I'm afraid its bye bye to your router.

Thanks for looking!
Old 21-04-2006, 13:33   #13
Badders
Inactive

Badders is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnReaL
Please NOTE: Do not download any fireware with the Sputnik software integrated into it, it will just kill your router.
Ermm... Are you sure about that? The current V23 SP1 builds have a Sputnik client but it doesn't have to be enabled. Does it?
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 14:32   #14
Paddy1
cf.addict

Paddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond repute

Any chance of doing this with a netgear router? Can't remember the model no. but I'll check when I get home.
Paddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 15:46   #15
Badders
Inactive

Badders is an unknown quantity at this point

Only if:

1) It's an available option in the firmware.
2) You can load a third-party firmware which has the option.

I don't think 2) is available for Netgear routers so you may be struggling.
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote