Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Router dropping connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Router dropping connection

Old 06-06-2007, 21:54   #1
stumbelina
Inactive

stumbelina is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Belkin Router dropping connection

Hi - This may get a little long winded. Sorry.

My setup:

NTL:200 Modem.
Belkin Wireless G router - F5D7230.
Laptop running Ubuntu and WinXP.
Ex NTL on 4mb broadband.

My infuriating problem:

I have had this running fine for nearly a year, but a few weeks ago - when the traffic shaping news hit - I had major speed problems, pings in the high hundreds and sub-dial up speeds. This was solved by Virgin moving me over to a different UBR. From that point on I have had Router Issues.

Any spike in network activity (downloading a pdf, opening a bunch of tabs at once on opening firefox, a good torrent seeder or trying to send a large email attachment) means my router drops the connection. The power light stays on, but everything else dies. Power cycling it brings it back. The modem remains unaffected. It is not overheating and it behaves the same under Ubuntu or Windows. The weird thing is that is seems worse at peak times. It can be ok all day, then at 7pm get very twitchy and start dropping every few minutes. Installing the latest firmware made no difference.

So, does this sound familiar to anyone? If I have to give up and buy a new one what do people recommend for cheap?
stumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2007, 22:15   #2
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: Belkin Router dropping connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbelina View Post
Hi - This may get a little long winded. Sorry.

My setup:

NTL:200 Modem.
Belkin Wireless G router - F5D7230.
Laptop running Ubuntu and WinXP.
Ex NTL on 4mb broadband.

My infuriating problem:

I have had this running fine for nearly a year, but a few weeks ago - when the traffic shaping news hit - I had major speed problems, pings in the high hundreds and sub-dial up speeds. This was solved by Virgin moving me over to a different UBR. From that point on I have had Router Issues.

Any spike in network activity (downloading a pdf, opening a bunch of tabs at once on opening firefox, a good torrent seeder or trying to send a large email attachment) means my router drops the connection. The power light stays on, but everything else dies. Power cycling it brings it back. The modem remains unaffected. It is not overheating and it behaves the same under Ubuntu or Windows. The weird thing is that is seems worse at peak times. It can be ok all day, then at 7pm get very twitchy and start dropping every few minutes. Installing the latest firmware made no difference.

So, does this sound familiar to anyone? If I have to give up and buy a new one what do people recommend for cheap?
I have the same router and at certain times my router will just loose signal and to get it back I have to restart it. it has been like this for the same period of time as you but i sorted it by going to http://192.168.2.1 in my web browser, restored factory settings and then re set it up using the router software disc on my wired computer. since then it hasn't happened. i use channel 9 if that helps as well
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:12   #3
Chapo
Inactive

Services: V+, BB
Chapo is an unknown quantity at this point

Give the lovely people at Belkin a ring (it's even freephone). They will send you a brand spanking new one out. Had this happen just before xmas and they were on the ball and sent a replacement out within 2 days!

I know i'll buy Belkin again.

Telephone number is 00-800-223-55-460.
Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:24   #4
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

chapo

your info is wrong there mate, the belkin number isnt freephone anymore, its a local rate number now
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:26   #5
Chapo
Inactive

Services: V+, BB
Chapo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
chapo

your info is wrong there mate, the belkin number isnt freephone anymore, its a local rate number now
Sorry DOC, was when I rang. Still a good service from them though.
Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:28   #6
stumbelina
Inactive

stumbelina is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta, I shall give this a go tomorrow morning - um, not that it will be open on a saturday...
stumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 07:16   #7
rlue
Inactive

rlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I imagine you've got this problem all squared away by now; for the sake of anyone who's still having this problem, here's what tech support had me do:

1) Update to the latest version of the firmware.

2) Go to http://192.168.2.1/ (that's the router's homepage).

3) Click on "Channel and SSID" in the left menu bar (or "SSID" in the "Features" table).

4) Change your wireless channel (arbitrarily, methinks--I was reassigned to 6).

5) Change your wireless mode to 54G-Only.

6) Disable Protected Mode and Turbo Mode.

That's all! I've been fine since then, but it's hard to tell when a problem like this has really gone away.

--R.
rlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 12:32   #8
Church Mouse
Inactive

Church Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enoughChurch Mouse will become famous soon enough

Hi rlue

Your information is useful, thankyou, but do you do the six stages you describe on the wired desktop or on the wireless laptop, or both?

Thanks

Church Mouse
Church Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 11:16   #9
Polevik
Inactive

Polevik is an unknown quantity at this point

all lights go off and only power light remains on!!! I would call belkin and they will replace it
Polevik is offline   Reply With Quote