Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Easy way to network 2 PCs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Easy way to network 2 PCs

Old 01-06-2017, 11:15   #1
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Easy way to network 2 PCs

Hi,

I have this setup and was wondering what would be the easiest way to put these onto the same network:

Windows 10 PC downstairs
Windows 10 PC upstairs
Neither are wireless, both will be hardwired to a Virgin Superhub.
VPN installed on PC downstairs.

I've tried networking before, but I could never seem to get the files/folders etc to share. Someone once told me it was the VPN that was preventing it.
I basically want to get them networked so that I can access media files from my main PC downstairs without copying stuff onto a flash drive then carting it upstairs. I do not want to spend any cash on this, so please can you advise me on the best way with that I've already got?
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2017, 11:35   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Easy way to network 2 PCs

If both computers are connected to the SuperHub, then you don't need to spend any money on anything else. You have all the hardware you need. Normally all you'd need to make sure is that the Homegroup is set up https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tart-to-finish

As a VPN is designed to hide network traffic from other devices, it could well impact the ability to share between the two computers depending on how it's set up.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:58   #3
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If both computers are connected to the SuperHub, then you don't need to spend any money on anything else. You have all the hardware you need. Normally all you'd need to make sure is that the Homegroup is set up https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tart-to-finish

As a VPN is designed to hide network traffic from other devices, it could well impact the ability to share between the two computers depending on how it's set up.
Thanks, so, could I just disable the VPN when I need to use filesharing?
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:26   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I think on most VPN clients there should be a way for you to configure it to not route local network traffic through the VPN.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:31   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Many business ones are configured to lock the local network out to prevent bridging once VPN link is estabilished.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:44   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Yes, if you're using a preconfigured one I'd agree.

I was thinking more about the personal VPNs used for privacy reasons, rather than to connect a computer to a business network.

Even the VPN clients used by businesses can probably technically do it - if you have admin control over it.