Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Intempo Mode DAB radio problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Intempo Mode DAB radio problem

Old 14-08-2017, 15:14   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Intempo Mode DAB radio problem

Bit of a long shot we have a DAB radio which has recently started playing up and I'm wondering if it could be a simply problem to fix. What happens is that it will randomly cycle through the various modes (e.g. DAB - FM - Audio in etc.) for no apparent reason. The main controls are accessed via an illuminated membrane type panel (see images in post below) as opposed to individual buttons so it's impossible to feel if the mode button seems sticky or odd. Sometimes the problem happens immediately the set is turned on whilst on other occasions it'll play fine for an hour or so then start playing up.

It's not really usable as it is so I'd be happy to open it up and see what I can find but don't have much idea what to look for. Obviously if it's some sort of microprocessor fault or the control panel is a sealed unit I can't do anything about that but I'm wondering if it might be something simple that I can try to fix.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...hlight=intempo

TIA as always.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2017, 16:30   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Intempo Mode DAB radio problem

As a guess, I'd say the switch has become sticky or loose and whether or not it plays up has something to do with the unit's temperature, which would cause gaps to expand or contract.

You have nothing to lose by taking it to bits.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 16:31   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

As a guess, I'd say the switch has become sticky or loose and whether or not it plays up has something to do with the unit's temperature, which would cause gaps to expand or contract.

You have nothing to lose by taking it to bits.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:07   #4
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Yes nothing to lose so I had a look at it and and finally managed to work out how to open it up in the absence of any visible screws on the exterior. It turns out that the entire flat panel on the front is simply glued in place onto a foam gasket so has to be prised off in order to get inside. I didn't remove the whole panel but did enough that I could see sufficiently and found a ribbon connector running into a circuit board which is fixed to the rear of the controls section of the panel. Before doing anything else I decided to push the ribbon connector in a little to see if a loose contact there could be causing the problem. The front panel forms the actual speaker and is vibrating constantly so I'm hoping the ribbon connector had just worked itself a little loose. So far it seems to have worked but it's very early days yet so I'm going to leave it on all day and see what happens. Will report back.

Last edited by Osem; 15-08-2017 at 10:10.
Old 15-08-2017, 13:41   #5
Osem
Inactive

Well it's been on all morning an so far no problems. Fingers crossed...
Old 15-08-2017, 18:00   #6
Osem
Inactive

Still going strong all day... Dare I claim a 'fix'?
Old 15-08-2017, 18:06   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Still going strong all day... Dare I claim a 'fix'?

Don't temp fate.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 19:05   #8
Osem
Inactive

Is that a vote of confidence in my technical prowess?...

Something's definitely improved - the control touch panel is much more responsive than I remember it being for a very long time. It often used to take several attempts to select a new function and now it's all working first time.

Last edited by Osem; 15-08-2017 at 19:31.
Old 15-08-2017, 19:53   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

That is why you often see ribbon cables secured with a blob of silicone.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 16:33   #10
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
That is why you often see ribbon cables secured with a blob of silicone.
No silicone evident here so maybe that was the cause of the problem. Anyway I'm officially declaring a fix because the radio hasn't missed a beat since I opened it up.