Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

Old 21-08-2017, 15:18   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
Still don't understand how this isn't a problem for Americans but here its a thing you can't do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I believe that consumer law in the USA is the factor there. Whether or not that has ever introduced the abuse that Kush mentioned, I can't say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think the difference is the network in the UK is (was?) a lot less secure. AS I said, being able to plug a cloned modem in and for it to "just work" was something that DOCSIS 1.1 fixed, but VM (NTL/TW) didn't seem to implement those best practices until relatively recently - if at all.
In the US most of the cable providers charge a rental fee for their supplied modem. Buying and using your own gets rid of that.

However I understand that even if you do use your own, it has to be from a set of approved modems, and once it's registered then the provider still has final control over it.
Old 21-08-2017, 15:32   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

If I'm honest, I'm actually happy with the setup Virgin has. I can buy my own router and take that with me if I ever leave, whereas if I bought my own modem it'd be useless.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 20:30   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, as long as modem mode is around and I can use my own proper router I am happy. If they ever got rid of it I would leave on the very same day and I imagine a lot of other people would as well.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 20:41   #19
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I agree with Kush.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 21:02   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I agree with Kush.
what about me
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 21:37   #21
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
what about me
I never disagree with you. Agreement goes without saying.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 22:04   #22
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
Still don't understand how this isn't a problem for Americans but here its a thing you can't do.
It is. They have their list of approved modems and refuse to support anything else.

Perhaps a better question would be to ask how the Americans manage it when every other country in the world, except maybe Canada, forces cable customers to use their provider's equipment.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think the difference is the network in the UK is (was?) a lot less secure. AS I said, being able to plug a cloned modem in and for it to "just work" was something that DOCSIS 1.1 fixed, but VM (NTL/TW) didn't seem to implement those best practices until relatively recently - if at all.
They're implemented on all DOCSIS 3.0 tiers but there are still some CPE that can be cloned.

The PoS should have been kicked off the network and replacement forced by now but c'est la vie.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote