Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | installing a Belkin router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

installing a Belkin router

Old 11-10-2005, 22:21   #1
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era
Send a message via MSN to shredder
installing a Belkin router

Hello guys!

Hope you can help me! i'm desperate! I've just bought a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop and i'm trying to get it set up with a wireless router stylee thing! My internet connection is 1mb ntl via samsung stb and my operating system is XP Professional, my router is a belkin adsl modem with wireless g router the salesman said it would work with my cable ethernet connection? so ummm what do i do? do i connect the router to the white ethernet cable that comes from my stb? what do i connect to the laptop? would really appreciate a step by step guide! i'm clueless here! model number of router is F507632-4?!

Hope some can help!

Kimberley x
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2005, 22:28   #2
maverick
Inactive

maverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these parts
Re: installing a Belkin router

If its an ADSL router then i am afraid it will not work,you require a cable dsl router
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 22:34   #3
shredder
Inactive

shredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation erashredder has entered a golden reputation era

i thought that but the sales guy said it would work! do you know of any good dsl routers? this one has a slot in the back that says dsl line?
Old 11-10-2005, 22:36   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Thats a adsl router and will not work with NTL

I will goto the Belkin website a give options for you
Old 11-10-2005, 22:36   #5
maverick
Inactive

maverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these partsmaverick is just so famous around these parts

router Check that model number again,i cant find any info on F507632-4.
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 22:39   #6
shredder
Inactive

sorry! it's F5D 7632
Old 11-10-2005, 22:39   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=201576

its one of the last two
Old 11-10-2005, 22:39   #8
shredder
Inactive

really appreciate the advice and thanks for helping me find one that will work too!
Old 11-10-2005, 22:42   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Here are the Belkin options (links should work

wired Cable/DSL Gateway Routers -

Cable/DSL Gateway Router F5D5231uk4
The Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router (the Router) lets you easily share your cable or DSL modem's connection to the Internet with all your connected computers.

Wirless - 802.11g Wireless Networking

802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router F5D7230uk4
802.11g technology is the easiest wireless network to implement. The Gateway Router uses the wireless 802.11g 2.4GHz standard to offer you the widest working range-up to 1500 feet.

High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router F5D7231uk4
NEW! The Belkin High-Speed Mode (HSM) Wireless G Router connection to your cable or DSL modem and enables your computers to share broadband Internet access.

Wireless 125 High Speed Mode router with integrated printserver F5D7231uk4P
NEW! Wireless 125 High Speed Mode router with integrated printserver

Pre-N Wireless Networking -

Wireless Pre-N Router F5D8230uk4
Create a wider, faster wireless network in your home or office. The Wireless Pre-N Router allows your connected computers to share files, printers, and other resources with exceptional throughput and no wireless drops.
Old 11-10-2005, 22:46   #10
shredder
Inactive

so if i just want to use my laptop wirelessly what exactly should i get? go i need a modem one too given that it's via a stb? i'm lost!
Old 11-10-2005, 22:57   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

F5D7230uk4
is proberly the best option

when you first connect it up you should plug you laptop to a wired port of the wireless router to set up the security. I've posted a doc on this I'll try to find the link.

download it from my website

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.e...%20Network.doc