Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Trying to get NTL Cable working with ADSL Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Trying to get NTL Cable working with ADSL Router

Old 10-10-2005, 19:24   #1
Fubseh
Inactive

Fubseh is an unknown quantity at this point
Trying to get NTL Cable working with ADSL Router

Here's the story. My housemate went out and bought a laptop bundle from PCWorld this weekend. As part of the bundle he got a D-Link DSL-G604T ADSL router. His goal is to try and get wireless broadband through NTL on his new laptop.

Obviously the port in the router will not accept the Ethernet connection. My networking knowledge is limited, but I am pretty sure that if I connect the ethernet to one of the client ports on the router, it should still be able to route the internet connection.

I have got the internet working on a direct connection to the machine, and I have also managed to get the laptop connected to the router (both with cable and wirelessly).

Using the setpup:
NTL -> Cable Modem (NTL-250) -> ADSL Router -> PC
I cannot get any connection.

I have tried disabling the DHCP on the router, and that really didnt help.

Taking the router back isn't the easiest option since it came as part of a package. Also buying a proper wireless router isn't the best idea, since the person in question has very little disposable cash.

I have been trying on and off for a few days to get this working without success. If anyone has any help on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tahnks in advance for any tips.
Fubseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2005, 19:26   #2
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
Re: Trying to get NTL Cable working with ADSL Router

Hi and but i'm sorry to say you need a cable router, if the one you have is adsl only then it wont work.
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 19:31   #3
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Pc world should allow you part credit against a normal non adsl wireless router.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 19:53   #4
Flubflow
Inactive

Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal

I'd pack the ADSL router up carefully and take it back for a full refund (if you get any hassle then tell them you were badly advised to buy it by their staff).

Then go over to Comet because they are having a deal on at the moment:
Linksys wireless G Router (DSL - which is what you need) and a laptop wireless card all for only £49.

EDIT: oh I see you meant part of a bundle with a laptop computer. Damn.
Flubflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 20:25   #5
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubflow
Then go over to Comet because they are having a deal on at the moment:
Linksys wireless G Router (DSL - which is what you need) and a laptop wireless card all for only £49.
The OP needs a cable router not a DSL router.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 20:29   #6
Minbu
Inactive

Services: VM TV & BB, BT phone
Minbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to allMinbu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
Thought it was the same thing.
Minbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 20:32   #7
Fubseh
Inactive

Fubseh is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I just got a knock on my door.

Seems my housemate left the modem, router, and laptop connected for a while. He started poking around in the properites (god knows what he did), and managed to get it working (wirelessly).

I had a quick check that he wasn't connected to next door's unsecured network, and he was definately connected to his own.

I vaguely remember something about the NTL Modems locking onto a single MAC address, then releasing and renewing every 4 hours or so. This was years ago, and I didn't think they still did it.

Regardless, after a quick Modem/Router/Laptop cold restart, it was still working. So I guess sharing a cable connection through an ADSL router is possible.

Thanks for all the advise.
Fubseh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 20:42   #8
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Ive just done a google, and it says cable/ adsl compatible
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 20:44   #9
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

yeah but he wont or shouldnt be able to get on the net with any other PCs connected, only one at a time.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 21:00   #10
Flubflow
Inactive

Flubflow has a bronzed appealFlubflow has a bronzed appeal
Flubflow has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
Technically yes. It usually says "Cable/DSL" on the box - which is more what i meant.
Flubflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 21:39   #11
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

If he wants to only use the wireless feature I think you can do it.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:56   #12
Paddy1
cf.addict

Paddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond reputePaddy1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd return it anyway and get a proper non-ADSL router.
Paddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote