Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

Old 25-06-2017, 17:16   #1
r94yan
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200, TV and calls, with Sky Movies and Sky Sport, Asian Mela. Two 1TB Tivo
r94yan is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

I currently have the SH2 in Modem mode as i have my own far superior router, my question is can we replace the SH as a modem? It is very bulky and the power cable is rather large.

Any alternative? or does the internet have to run through the VM SH?
r94yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2017, 17:50   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Superhub Modem Mode Alternate

Simple answer is no - you must have a Virgin Media Superhub.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 16:23   #3
r94yan
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200, TV and calls, with Sky Movies and Sky Sport, Asian Mela. Two 1TB Tivo
r94yan is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely there must be a way? The superhub has such a large plug, and thr actual hub is quite large too.
r94yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 16:52   #4
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

It could be worse as at least it does provide modem mode.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 16:55   #5
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

In the old days, Telewest supplied the Motorola SurfBoard 4100 modem and then some from Scientific Atlanta such as the DPX110. If you wanted WiFi, you had to install your own wireless router.

These days only the hubs are supplied by VM. It would make sense for those of us who run the hubs in modem mode to be able to get only modems, but I'm not aware that VM is thinking along those lines.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 17:22   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I'm afraid you're stuck with the big clunky kit. Put it in modem mode and if you really hate it you could put it under the floor?
Old 20-08-2017, 17:34   #7
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm afraid you're stuck with the big clunky kit. Put it in modem mode and if you really hate it you could put it under the floor?
Which is precisely what I've done, with the flashing lights pointing away from me.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 19:48   #8
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road

Mine's behind the sofa where I can't see it
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:47   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Unfortunately the vast majority of VM's customer base, alongside indeed the other big ISPs, want a gateway, so combined modem router, and that suits them just fine.

It also reduces the support overhead for the ISP as they can support up to that device and past there is someone else's problem.

It's possible to use alternative devices but is against the terms of service, involves disassembling the existing hub and attacking it with a soldering iron, and is generally not recommended.

TL;DR No.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 11:14   #10
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

The support issue is one huge reason why you'll never see custom Cable modems, security is another. By allowing your own CPE on the network, it opens up Virgin to all kinds of abuse, account sharing and that kind of deal. I don't know if the situation has improved, but it used to be you could pull the modem details from one modem and clone it onto another - as long as they weren't on the same UBR, you could "share" the account quite easily and it was difficult to crack down on. I believe since DOCSIS3 came along it's been less of an issue, but just goes to show how easily such a thing could be abused.

It'll never happen, just be glad they offer a modem mode.

The day Virgin removes modem mode is the day I seriously consider switching to FTTC.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 12:38   #11
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Still don't understand how this isn't a problem for Americans but here its a thing you can't do.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 13:27   #12
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I believe that consumer law in the USA is the factor there. Whether or not that has ever introduced the abuse that Kush mentioned, I can't say.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 13:31   #13
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I think the difference is the network in the UK is (was?) a lot less secure. AS I said, being able to plug a cloned modem in and for it to "just work" was something that DOCSIS 1.1 fixed, but VM (NTL/TW) didn't seem to implement those best practices until relatively recently - if at all.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 13:57   #14
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

That's rather silly but it is Virgin after all still a shame you can't but I understand why now.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 15:03   #15
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

We dont need to implement security for 3rd party devices because we dont allow 3rd party devices to be connected!

So many poor decisions get made security wise because of naive stances like that.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote