Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Limited or no Connectivity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Limited or no Connectivity

Old 21-06-2009, 21:53   #1
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Limited or no Connectivity

Had a customer phone me up saying they were loosing connection to the web sometimes when their PC booted up (only accuiring a 169 address).

It's got to a point where if I reboot the computer it connects, but I want the user to be able to go straight in and it will work for them.

It is a Win XP Pro SP3 machine. Reintalled TCP/IP and the various network clients etc, tried the WINSTOCK (think thats the name) fix, no luck. Tried with AVG installed and without it, no difference, ran all Windows Update once online, no fix.

Can someone recommend me something?

I dont want to have to format the machine if I can help it. By the way have updated all drivers etc.
Old 21-06-2009, 21:57   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Limited or no Connectivity

modem or router?
wireless or wired?
Old 21-06-2009, 23:14   #3
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

It's all wired.

At the customer's its straight to the Virgin modem, had this replaced already. At mine where I have the machine it goes into my ADSL router.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Been a little thick and not checking the event log, its throwing up errors with the DHCP, so guessing a problem with the DHCP service?

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Looks like I have fixed it, link here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357#letmefixit

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

Ignore that, it didnt work.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Any ideas, I've given up, not really wanting to reintall Windows.
Old 22-06-2009, 00:31   #4
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Had a customer phone me up saying they were loosing connection to the web sometimes when their PC booted up (only accuiring a 169 address).
Make sure the loose cable's connected properly

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 00:38   #5
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Cables in, changed cables and repalced for new ones.
Old 22-06-2009, 01:10   #6
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all

The last time I encountered this problem the PC's owner had made the mistake of installing Norton 360.

If you happen to find that your problem has the same cause do not make the same mistake I made by assuming Norton's uninstaller will actually uninstall the software. Not only did it fail to remove Norton, it also prevented Norton's removal tool from doing its job, so I had the task of manually trawling through the registry.

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 07:53   #7
Matthew
cf.mega poster

The machine appears to be very clean, from what I can make of it the person who has sold her the machine seems to have changed little things here and there and it may have screwed things up.

The problem seems to be with the DHCP service, some how I need to reinstall this if possible.
Old 22-06-2009, 09:14   #8
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

Is it an onboard NIC? Have you got another NIC you could try?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 10:27   #9
zing_deleted

Might be worth setting up a dummy user to test it for possible user settings then if that does not work then id try a nic like harmitage says
Old 22-06-2009, 17:45   #10
Matthew
cf.mega poster

I will give it a go later.

Thanks
Old 22-06-2009, 20:20   #11
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Taken the bullet and rebuilding the PC from scratch, got a feeling who ever built the machine up bodged it up from other bits and bobs I have seen.
Old 23-06-2009, 01:47   #12
Matthew
cf.mega poster

I think I have found the problem, it is: nVidia Network Bus Enumerator, seems to come down with Windows Update, now need to uninstall it, dont fancy rebuilding XP again!

---------- Post added at 01:47 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

Sorted. There is a fix on the ASRock website, some BIOS problem it would seem, once installed all is fine.

The board in question is a ALive NF6G-DVI incase anyone else has the same problem.