Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | your opinion please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

your opinion please

Old 21-06-2009, 22:44   #1
scottyb
Inactive

scottyb is an unknown quantity at this point
your opinion please

hi there,
this will probably be a quick one for the majority of users on here, but i'm looking for a new wireless router.

i currently have virgins 20mb broadband, and will need the router to be able to have my xbox either wired or wireless, a couple of laptops running wirless and my ds ocassionally if possible.

the only problem i can see is my house has 2 floors, so although the router is situated in my room where the internet is used most, it has to be able to give a decent connection downstairs and up.

i was looking at the linksy WRT54G, and have been for a while. whats your opinions on this? can you recommend any others? or the cheapest places to buy from?

thanks in advance.

scott
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2009, 22:47   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: your opinion please

As you are on 20Mb you can get the Netgear WNR2000 router for £25 from Virginmedia just call Customer Services and they will send one out to you.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 01:14   #3
Ed2020
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Ed2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to allEd2020 is a name known to all
Re: your opinion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
i was looking at the linksy WRT54G, and have been for a while. whats your opinions on this? can you recommend any others? or the cheapest places to buy from?
Spend a bit extra and get the WRT54GL, then you can reflash the firmware with DD-WRT. This turns an average router into a great router.

www.dd-wrt.com

One thing worth mentioning: if you think it's likely you'll ever upgrade to the 50Mb service 802.11g won't cut it so go with am 802.11n router.

Ed.
Ed2020 is offline   Reply With Quote