Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | delete network key

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

delete network key

Old 20-08-2007, 20:56   #1
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light
delete network key

I have a wireless set up that works fine via a Belkin router. I acquired a new lap top temporarily and to test it I added it to the network by entering the network key when prompted. The machine will soon be elsewhere and with that (and for other reasons - like it may still be in range) I now want to ensure it does not have access to my network.

How can I remove the network key?

SV
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2007, 21:22   #2
r1ch
Inactive

r1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation era
Re: delete network key

Assuming that you're talking about a recent version of windows with wireless auto-config enabled you can right-click on the wireless icon on your toolbar, choose 'View available wireless networks', then 'Change advanced settings' then go to the 'Wireless Networks' tab, click your network in the list and click remove. This should remove it from the machine, but the key could possibly still be recovered from the machine if someone tried hard enough.

If you need to be sure that the machine cannot access your network any more then the safest thing to do would be to just change your network key on your router and other machines.
r1ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 21:32   #3
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: delete network key

Thank you Sir

I will go and try that. There is NO danger of the other user searching out the key hidden somewhere else on the machine ie he has amazingly low IT skills, and I am very reluctant to change my key because everything has worked SO well for the last 6 years since someone on NTHW helped me set it up

Thanks again
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote